Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polycalypse
Aug 7, 2014
If you want to get better at things like anatomy, it would suffice not to use things like professional photographs of models (edited in photoshop to become unrealistic and can crimp your ability to analyze anatomy) or game character models. Rather, if you want to improve in the respects of anatomy, it is better to find the closest live model drawing studios/sessions to learn from or look at resources for nude models meant specifically for artists (some websites have a compilation of this kind of thing).

OmanyteJackson posted:

This is a commision i finished last week

One thing i definitely took away from this is my line work is absolutely terrible. Any tips to make cleaner lineart?

For line art, program does have impact on the artwork. For example, specifically meant for painting programs like Paint Tool Sai will have a stabilizing feature to help your line art; however, it can also be considered a crutch, which I found out later when I was forced to switch to photoshop. The main thing about line art is that it can take a long time, and you usually will have to first do a sketch layer and then zoom in close (idealistically this also means your canvas has a 300+ dpi and is a pretty large size). If you want to get good at line art without relying on things like pen pressure (which most professional programs will have), you can play around using a pressure-less brush (i.e. MS paint) which can train your basic hand skills.

If you are using photoshop, you can easily look at tutorials online for help. One of my favorite artists has a really nice FAQ and explanation on how she gets really clean lines: http://duckhymn.tumblr.com/post/92621392688/hello-dear-anon-no-need-to-apologise-i-dont

Another way to deal with line art problems is to just not have any and just paint over everything. Personally this is my favorite way to do it because it means I don't have to waste a lot of time making sure my lines are squeaky clean, though I have been messing around with new brushes that make really nice line art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polycalypse
Aug 7, 2014
Yup. One of the best ways I found to do line art is actually to do it traditionally first. If you use india ink (super duper pitch black and waterproof) and get good at that and then scan in the drawing, even with a crappy scanner, it should turn out pretty nicely. Furthermore you can then just toss the whole thing into photoshop and turn it into a multiply layer, you can paint under it for color and it works really well. The same technique can also be applied to sketches that you want to keep the sketchy line quality of (basically what multiply does is it turns the line art into a darkened area, so when you color under it, the line art remains). A few pretty good artists do this trick (Yuko Shimizu, Matt Rockefeller) since it's a lot less time consuming than trying to get clean lines or something.

Also if you're not too stingy with money and you use photoshop, I suggest getting custom brushes that people have made (the ones I use are mainly one I've made for myself and a few others from Frenden, who has really nice inking brushes and realistic pencil line brushes). It doesn't really cost much (it was 4 USD for the pack I got).

Polycalypse
Aug 7, 2014
Heh. I have Clip Studio but I still haven't really messed around with it since my main program is PS. That's quite interesting, I'll make sure to check it out later.

Another benefit of multiply though is it can keep the textures you scan in to help liven up the artwork, which is why I primarily use it when I don't have enough time to draw out line art.