Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
probably going to change the upper left and darken the floor and some other things. It's a level for a game. Any critique is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Fyadophobic posted:

http://catmint-sketchbook.tumblr.com/image/116873080861

I am currently working on improving my lighting/shadow rendering. What do you guys think?

Looks solid to me. Anything in particular you're trying to improve?

Would like to know if anyone has any advice/opinions about this too. It's a level in a game for context.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Fangz posted:

The software is fine.

I don't know why you'd want to learn After Effects.

To follow up on this, do you want to make films? Strictly speaking it's for movies, and if you want to make movies After Effects would be a good program to know. But it's really more on the compositing side than creating any artwork from scratch. That being said out of all the compositing programs (Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere) After Effects for me wins hands down. Adobe has a 30 day trial so you can test all their stuff out before you decide to be apart of their "cloud".

Nude fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 1, 2016

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

InevitableCheese posted:

Posted this in a couple other threads, too, but I've been poking around in the OP and in other threads looking for good videos/courses to learn fundamentals (perspective, form, proportion, etc) with. Does anyone know any good online courses or videos that are decent quality? So far I have looked at stuff like Pencil Kings, Drawspace, and CTRL+Paint, but I'm reallllllly picky on spending my money on a course without knowing how good it is. I don't mind spending a subscription fee or anything, or shelling out $100 for a large online course, but don't want to spend poo poo tons of :20bux: on an actual round of college courses. Anyone used or seen anything that doesn't suck?

Currently, I'm watching Sycra and Proko on YouTube,leaning towards a PencilKings subscription, and poking around in Loomis' books. I do a lot better when something is structured, though, hence the reason looking for a paid course.

Hey since you're willing to spend money, I'm going to recommend two books: How to Draw: Drawing and Sketching Objects and Environments from Your Imagination, and How to Render: The Fundamentals of Light, Shadow and Reflectivity. The Render book makes a lot of references to the first book so at the very least get the first book. The book teaches an Architecture-esq like method, and various techniques. It also goes in on something that's not really talked about : techniques for how to use reference material in a way that will benefit you in the long run. They really helped me get a sense of structure/confidence.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Hey guys so I'm trying to improve my rendering/overall digital and was wondering if anybody would mind giving me a couple of pointers. I suppose my biggest fear is I'm not rendering light/shadow/shading correctly this is something I've always had a hard time with. This was my reference pic.
And here is mine:

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

a hole-y ghost posted:

Oh yeah, a couple of other things:

1. Just do grayscale until you get good at value rendering. Heck, I paint almost everything grayscale and just color over it.

2. Don't get caught up with details. Learn to get big general areas of value correct first, or else you'll keep drawing things that look "patchy" or flat. If you click the ? to the left of my post, I posted an exercise for this earlier in the thread.

e: I'll just link to it below actually

Didn't think I would get such a quick reply. Thank you for the post I'll have another crack at it (with a greyscale/one light source photo this time). Yeah I attempted on trying to paint in shapes so to speak but I suppose it still reads as indecisive/patchy.

Thanks again for both posts :).

Elsa posted:

This is a good candidate for incorporating lines of continuity. When I plan a drawing I look for very basic shapes and lines that seem to connect throughout the image. Even if they're unrelated anatomy, like the deltoid curve that connects with the left leg. Most of the time you have to alter the reference image to fit along these curves.

It's not completely accurate to the reference but I like to think of it as adding unity or beauty to the image.

Hey thanks this is a really cool thing to keep in mind.

Nude fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 30, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

JuniperCake posted:

Agreed. As much as I love the world's angriest Italian, I have to say his version is pretty lacking. Judith isn't nearly as badass in that one as she is in Gentileschi's.

Saturn Eating His Own Son is the best you can do? Seriously? There are far better examples. Have some Bosch.

I also like

You hug that owl, dude!

Like you can link any part of that altarpiece and get something absolutely amazing.

Can we just start talking about random paintings in here? That seems like it would be fun.

Yeah I agree, Gentileschi is really good at showing implied motion. Something that is often lost in high rendered paintings/illustrations.

This is Bosch's magnum opus in my opinion:

Nude fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 16, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

ajrosales posted:

don't know if this is the right place for this but there doesn't really seem to be another appropriate place to post this...

I've been working here and there on an idea I came up with a year ago...

It's a digital "pattern" and art website that is dynamically generated with php... essentially the overarching theme is a bunch of interlinked pages that are dynamic canvases in some way.

the actual site is here: http://ajrosales.com/what
there's a project page here too: http://ajrosales.com/what-a-canvas-generator

it's a work in progress...
i could be open to collaboration if anyone was interested in contributing to this.

This is awesome, at first I didn't realize you could click on certain spots in the page to explore. Kind of fun trying to figure out where to click. You could also crosspost it to this thread here, and the making games thread as well.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I can see it, if it helps it reminds me of Margaret Keane (Tim Burton Big Eyes). It's only a tiny bit creepy for me :v:. By all means I personally don't think it's a bad thing, and I think this one is the best of the bunch that you posted imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I wouldn't worry. First of all getting use to your tool can be a battle in of itself. I see a lot of people who use photoshop "control/apple z" their lines to get the right "feel". The thing that helped me the most is finding out there are many different ways to draw, many different techniques to achieve the same goal. Tracing is one technique but not the only. Half the battle of drawing is understanding how your mind works. For me https://drawabox.com/ was helpful. One suggestion on that site is to just draw circles, and lines, over and over to get use to the feel. But that doesn't mean you should feel bad if that site isn't helpful for you. It just means you have to move on to another tutorial/YouTube channel and figure out what helps for you. Posting your artwork, and asking for advice is also a great first step by the way :unsmith:. I liked that you decided to make Homer barefoot.

Nude fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 17, 2018