Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I've decided to try and get back into drawing and hopefully work on improving my work rather than just do crappy little things that don't go anywhere. So these are some lines I did today:

Any comments and criticism very much appreciated.

edit: hah I just noticed it next to my avatar, I guess riot helmets are my fetish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Keket posted:

The perspective on the shoes is bugging me for some reason, like the right foot seems too, uh, front on? Also (more of a pet peeve) ejection port on the left of the shotgun, whaaaaaaaat.

Still, loving awesome and cant wait to see some colour on it!

Thanks! Yeah the shoes are the worst part, but I couldn't face re-doing them.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

loga mira posted:

The feet and the right hand are dainty compared to the rest of the figure, the index finger is missing. The knuckles are flat, should be pointy. The arm looks too short and its overall shape is too simple like two cylinders. The clothes are very stiff looking, make them sag down, give them some weight, and the little things like uh what's it called, the lines that represent the elastic crap on the trim? Of the coat are all the same distance from each other, which makes the clothes look extra flat. The sidemouth and the nostril are style considerations I guess. I'd add some weathering on the gun, it looks pristine compared to how torn up everything else is.

Lineart could be improved in lots of ways. Like adding sightly more weight to lines where stuff covers other stuff will make the brain think there's a shadow there, and it will process the objects as separate, for example where the coat covers the pant leg. Or following the shape with line weight, like the helmet would look more spherical if the line got thinner or thicker on top. The spots where lines meet are extra important, having the line end or taper before it gets there makes it look sloppy, adding some weight to that spot will make the brain think there's like a recess there and also implies occlusion shading, would look good on the hand holding the gun for example. It will also make the drawing look more polished, especially for simple digital brushes because the lines are so sharp and boring looking. I like doing this last step, adding weight and little touches here and there, the most, it's cool how a drawing takes on a new appearance with just the tiniest changes. Skipping it on the other hand makes it look like one of those drawings in patent applications.

Thanks, a lot of good stuff there to look at. When you said that one hand and the feet were dainty, did you just mean too small?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

There's parts I'm happy with and parts I'm not, again any comments are appreciated. Also I didn't change the lines on this but that's not to say I've ignored the advice, at the moment I figure I might be better served taking it and applying it to the next piece rather than going back and re-working.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

loga mira posted:

If you ain't gonna do nothin what's the point of asking for advice :reject:

Like I said, I plan on putting it to use in my next one.