Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/pirated-1999-files/

I imagine there is some type of statute of limitations on discussing early exposure to :filez:, right?

1999 was now 16 years ago, which means that the average college student, and maybe the average goon, wouldn't quite get the joke here, because these were pretty much what went around in 1999. Like the joke about the Phish version of Gin & Juice: there was like four years when we all believed that System of a Down wrote a novelty song about The Legend of Zelda.

And a time when a 50 kB image of Anna Kournikova would have been considered really high resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Jonad posted:

I was born in 93 but I can still remember the 'glory' days of kazaa piracy, so I managed to get a bunch of the jokes.

I remember when a friend told me, on AIM, about this new thing called "Napster". It seemed like a scam, and thought his AIM was hacked, so I asked him a bunch of questions to establish his identity.

That must have been...1999, or 2000, that Napster came out?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

20matar posted:

Look at Jeff K, the world's greatest h4x0r. A blast from the past indeed. I didn't have any internet access in 1999, but it's still close enough to my early internet experience. Fun article.

The article is a bit anachronistic, and not just in details. P2P wasn't widely used in 1999, it was more a 2000-2004 thing. When I first got on the internet in 1998, I wouldn't have known how to get warez, and I really wouldn't have needed to. That was in the era of direct downloads, and just going to random pages. At least for me, in 1998, when I got on the internet, downloading ANYTHING was a thrill. I wouldn't have needed pirated games, because a 100 kB clone of Donkey Kong that someone put together for a hobby was just as exciting.

...which really wasn't the point of the article, but I started getting nostalgic.

• Locked thread