Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Marv Hushman posted:

Meat is Murdercycle

An American hero.

Can we get a new challenge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

builds character posted:

An American hero.

Can we get a new challenge?

Yeah, poo poo, sorry. Life, typhoon, other poo poo, got busy. I'll try not to let things go for more than two weeks if I can. I'll have a post up tonight.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Sorry for the delay, here's the tally for this (3) week's challenge.

Silly Your motorcycle in front of an unhealthy eating establishment.

First, EX250 Type R with his unnamed not-another-small-town-pizza-shop.

EX250 Type R posted:

Silly Challenge

Bonus points for being next to a hardware store and railroad tracks. Negative on the blurry.

Myself, YF19pilot, at Hatch Well, Taiwanese Fried Chicken.

YF19pilot posted:

Silly Challenge

Bonus for actually having the food, and eating something that could kill me in a way that doesn't involve heart disease. Negative for lovely night cell phone picture.

Next, nsaP exploiting minors to indulge in his grease ball burger at the Silver Grove Dairy Bar.

Bonus points for lovely food, lovely service, AND lovely business practices. Negative for Ohio, because that's to be expected.

Now comes builds character with his best burger at Corner Bistro in NYC.

Bonus points for :911: Negative for sounding like, but not actually being, a restaurant featured on Kitchen Nightmares.

Super Your motorcycle with a dong. Interpret that as you may.

First, cursedshitbox taking a literalist approach by adding this "accessory" to his bike.

cursedshitbox posted:

Super Challenge

I may be new to motorcycles, but I'm pretty sure that's not a sissy bar.

Now for nsaP with his river-dong:

Jury is still out as to which object in this picture is the "dong".

The match is set! Vote away! I'll leave the polls open until this time Thursday.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Gonna have to go yfpilot for the silly challenge for putting your life on the line and nsap for the super for being next to the biggest dong

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I vote Builds Character for silly and nsaP for super since his picture has 2 dongs in it.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Builds Character for the Silly and Cursedshitbox for the Super

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
silly: buildscharacter
super: nsap

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Silly: nsap
Super: cursedshitbox

I was going to do the super, but poo poo came up. My lazy dong idea? To convert $100 into the equivalent amount of Vietnamese Dongs, then glue them all over my bike.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, it's now "this time Thursday" which means time to tally things up!

Silly
YF19pilot - 1 vote
Builds Character - 3 votes
nsaP - 1 vote

Super
nsaP - 3 votes
Cursedshitbox - 2 votes

So, Builds Character and nsaP are our winners! They get to choose the next challenges!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

YF19pilot posted:

Okay, it's now "this time Thursday" which means time to tally things up!

Silly
YF19pilot - 1 vote
Builds Character - 3 votes
nsaP - 1 vote

Super
nsaP - 3 votes
Cursedshitbox - 2 votes

So, Builds Character and nsaP are our winners! They get to choose the next challenges!

HCC Memorial Silly Challenge: your bike + a median. Meridians OK too.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

builds character posted:

Will you be willing to accept Circles of Latitude instead of Meridians? I live near the Tropic of Cancer. And, ironically, that might actually be easier for me to find than an actual median.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
nsaP hasn't posted a new Super Challenge, and he doesn't have PMs. So I will give him one more day to post a challenge or I'll pick one from past challenges.

Also, I might not be able to participate this week due to typhoon (again).

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I should have known I'd be the dong.

:siren: :siren: Super Challenge: Old Photo/New Photo :siren: :siren:

If you don't remember this one from the other thread, it's where you have to find an old/historical photo of a (hopefully) interesting place and then you try to get a photo from the same perspective with your bike in the shot. This is the kind of challenge I was hoping would be good in this thread, especially if we give it a few weeks. I'll try to do an example today.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So since I went to the market today I looked up an old pic and it'd be something like this

Then I would post something like this:

Except with a bike instead of a Cadillac. Then say hipster things about the history and blah blah. Also I managed to capture the same quality (blurry as hell) but not the right angle and I'd probably try harder for the actual challenge but that's up to you.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress - Post says take pictures Tuesday - Sunday. I'm bad at instructions :downs:

PhoenixWing fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 23, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Today is Sunday, you're good. But that's kinda gone out the window, at this point we are on a two week schedule at least. Plus we just posted the challenges.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Ah, in that case, here's my entry -

Old theatre in the middle of downtown Roseville, constructed in the late 30s and opened in 1940.

I tried to find the closest spot I could to the original angle that wasn't in the middle of the road, but, there were tall trees in the way and I'm bad at pictures :downs: Couldn't find a way to include the whole sign without either parking in the intersection directly to the right of the picture, or taking it from a different angle than the original.

I don't think the theatre see's active use any more though, sign on the front claims "Extended Rent", with old posters out front of when it was last used (2013? They were faded, I couldn't tell). It's incredibly pretty at night though, as they at least keep the lights running and most of the front in good condition

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

PhoenixWing posted:

gently caress - Post says take pictures Tuesday - Sunday. I'm bad at instructions :downs:

As long as I or nsaP haven't called the end, you're good. Thread moves slow, so I've been loosening things out to two weeks to give more time. Last challenge set went late because of random excuses.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What's the silly challenge this week?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SquadronROE posted:

What's the silly challenge this week?

builds character posted:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
My Super entry

I would have had to been inside the building behind me in order to get the right perspective. Majority of the buildings were still there until 2008 when some rear end in a top hat stole liquor out of a bar in one of them and used arson to cover his tracks. Since the fire department is the white building at the top of the hill, this shouldn't have been a problem. On this particular weekend, it was the annual state firefighter convention, held about 2-2.5 hours away. Every single one of them was poo poo faced and they made record time getting back to the town, but not quick enough unfortunately.

And theres a bunch more here: http://www.milohistorical.org/history/fire08/

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So we currently have no entries for the Silly Challenge, and only two for the Super. Normally I'd close things up at this point, but want to hear from you guys. I thought the Silly would be easy, but haven't been able to do it myself with all the rain we've been having here. Let me know if you guys think we should end it and move on, or go one more week.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I have an entry for both that I've been too lazy to put up. If you want to pick new challenges that's fine by me, otherwise I'll put my pictures up when I get home in a couple of hours.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah let it roll on, maybe we should just make this monthly challenges? I've just been work busy and riding lazy recently.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I've just started working again so I've been too busy/lazy to get a silly challenge done. I've got a perfect idea if I don't waste it.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

Nah let it roll on, maybe we should just make this monthly challenges? I've just been work busy and riding lazy recently.

I prefer just letting it ride until there are enough entries to vote on. I think the main issue is that only 5 or 6 regular CA posters make entries in here. I thought more people would participate after you stepped down as game master lol

edit: I have also been rather lazy about entering this challenge. I'll try to get something this week.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 1, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I've got a pretty good one for the Serious challenge, but it's been raining literally every day I get off work and I don't want to get caught in a flood zone. Hopefully today is the ticket.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

HCC Memorial Median Challenge:

Took this friday after the challenge was announced but before nsaP had posted, so not sure if it counts. This road has been built dead straight along the side of a hill so the opposing lanes have an elevation difference of a metre or more in some places. As a result the opposing lanes are separated most of the time until they hit a saddle point and the elevations match up enough that the lanes can be connected. A school was built on one of the divided sections of this road so traffic gets backed up every morning/afternoon as people try to make u-turns in the few points where the lanes meet.

nsaP's "I can't let go of the past" Challenge:

Pretty sure the old photo was taken when the ambulance station was first opened around 1930. The building is still used as the main depo for the local hospitals. The yellowish boxy structure you can see attached to the right of the building is a covered garage that was added on since modern ambulances are too large to fit through the doors to the interior garage. I originally wanted to take this photo with my bicycle in the image to more closely replicate the historical photo but of course I hosed it up and took a shot with the loving park on the left in the background instead of the ambulance station so I ended up getting a proper shot with the green drz instead. I couldn't match the elevation either because the old photo was taken from the roof of a cinema that was torn down and replaced by a servo years ago.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, then it's agreed that we'll keep things going. There's been a slight break in the rain today, if it holds up for the weekend I'll be able to get some photos in. Will probably do something themed around 2/28 since it was a big deal for Taiwan that hardly anybody from outside of the island know about. Hell, many expats working here think it's just another day off.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Super late super challenge, but there is a market in Charleston that used to be a slave market. Literally buying and selling slaves.

So I grabbed a pic of my bike there, which probably used slave labor! Happy labor day!

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 7, 2015

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Can't do the Super Challenge this week. Apparently, a city that was a podunk nowhere farming village not but 20 years ago doesn't have a very extensive collection of old photos.

So, I'll be the second to enter the {b]Silly Challenge[/b] - while it's not a meridian, it is a parallel in a median, so there's that. Can't actually photograph my bike in the middle of the road because I will actually get ticketed and poo poo. There aren't any roads with medians that aren't super heavy busy around here. So, screen shots! And videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If4LHtv-0yU

That is the Tropic of Cancer (23.5º North) as it passes through (or well, just on the south side of) the city where I live.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Not to double post, but just a warning that this is the last weekend for the current contest. I will close it out on Monday for a new set of challenges. So get your medians and old photos going!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, I'm putting the kebash on this "week".

Entrants for the Silly Challenge: Hot Canadian Chick Memorial Medians and Meridians

Ephphatha posted:

HCC Memorial Median Challenge:

First is Ephphatha with this glorious lump of dirt laying between two lanes of unequal elevation. It's even got trees, which I think makes this officially a "parkway". Extra points for parking it on the median of a parkway.

YF19pilot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If4LHtv-0yU

That is the Tropic of Cancer (23.5º North) as it passes through (or well, just on the south side of) the city where I live.

Me, YF19pilot with the Tropic of Cancer. Yes, it's a parallel and not a meridian, but near enough to make no difference, I'm sure!

Those are all the Silly entrants.

Now onto the Super Challenge: Totally Original Selfie Album Ideas

PhoenixWing posted:

Old theatre in the middle of downtown Roseville, constructed in the late 30s and opened in 1940.

PhoenixWing with a theater that opened just in time for the majority of it's clientele to take extended trips to Europe and the western Pacific Ocean.

EX250 Type R trying to be all "edgy" with his clowning around.

Ephphatha playing it safe with this paramedic station.

SquadronROE going old school on EX250's clowns.

Okay, so voting is up for until this time Wednesday, at which time the winners will be declared. Have at!

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Gonna have to go YF19pilot for the silly challenge. Though your "lump of dirt" comment nearly made me vote for myself out of spite.
And EX250 Type KKK for the super cause of how loving ludicrous that before shot is.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Ephphatha for Silly because he parked his bike on it.

PhoenixWing for Super because of composition and not lolracisms.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I am going with Ephphatha for both challenges. I like that the bike is basically where the other bikes were parked in the old photo and that he parked in the median, something I didn't have the balls to do. I found a psychic in bangor and I wanted to take a photo with a 'medium' but the storefront was garbage and there was just some cardboard sign in a window.

As a side note, it's not my fault that the only thing to ever happen in my town was a drat KKK march :(

My other choices were basically the store next to the hamburger camper, a lot of empty grassy spots where there used to be businesses, or the hardware stores lumber yard which is in the place of the old old town school / meeting hall.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, I'm going to let the voting go for one more day, because 3 votes ending up with a 3 way tie in one category is a bit silly.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ephphatha for silly. PhoenixWing for super.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Ephthpha and SquadronROE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
The polls are closed! And the winners are:

Silly: Ephphatha for actually parking his bike on the median.

Super: PhoenixWing because Art Deco theaters are the coolest.

Alright, gentlegoons, submit your challenges!

• Locked thread