Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Hirayuki posted:

Anesthesia was discovered in 1846, and we still don't know exactly how it works.

the amount of things in medicine that we dont know how they work but they do the job will no ill side effects so we keep using them is scary/great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Hyperlynx posted:

"Tough tackies" is properly spelled "tough takkies", and it is exclusively a South African expression.
Who even says that instead of "tough titties" besides South Africans?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mescal posted:

Getting the last word in

Lol

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

FFT posted:

Who even says that instead of "tough titties" besides South Africans?

Me, a child of two South African Jews, who was born in Australia and grew up around a lot of South African expats and their kids. Many, many times I've mistaken a South-Africanism for a universal one, an Afrikaans word for a Yiddish one, or vice versa.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Fair enough. Great news, now you can start saying "tough titties" instead! Maybe.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

FFT posted:

Fair enough. Great news, now you can start saying "tough titties" instead! Maybe.

Ha!

"Takkies" would be less crude, but also less likely to be understood. And the only other similar expression I can think of is "stiff poo poo".

Also this realisation completely torpedoes my "tough Takis" Soul Calibur joke I've been brewing.

E: wait, there's also "tough bits, man", which I've never heard outside of Lars saying that once in Steven Universe...

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 10:17 on Mar 4, 2024

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Hyperlynx posted:

And the only other similar expression I can think of is "stiff poo poo".

"tough luck" is the PG version of the phrase, and, I assume, "tough titties" is derived from it.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Tough titties makes it hard to nurse and without proper nutrition immediately and continuously after being born the farm animals die

See also: sucking hind tit

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
The word pun is also a pun in that it’s supposed to be fun, but isn’t.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Not really a joke, more of a pune, or play on words.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Philippe posted:

Not really a joke, more of a pune, or play on words.

Every single time I see or say the word pun, this whole phrase plays in my head.

Pthanks Pterry :unsmith:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's tethered swimming for him.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

"Tough tackies" is properly spelled "tough takkies", and it is exclusively a South African expression.

I'm going to start culturally appropriating this

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's tethered swimming for him.

one of my favorite jokes in the series

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Windows has a Clipboard History if you press Windows + V, which has little subsections in Windows 11 for other things like symbols (foreign currencies and other special symbols) as well as Emojis, because of course there are.

But there's a whole other section called Kaomojis, which are the weeb smilies. Some are the common ones like ^_^ and o_O, but there's tons of the super complicated ones. Finally, I can utilize Windows 11 to show my coworkers how I really feel

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DontMockMySmock posted:

"tough luck" is the PG version of the phrase, and, I assume, "tough titties" is derived from it.

Nz version is stiff biccies

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bawk posted:

Windows has a Clipboard History if you press Windows + V, which has little subsections in Windows 11 for other things like symbols (foreign currencies and other special symbols) as well as Emojis, because of course there are.

But there's a whole other section called Kaomojis, which are the weeb smilies. Some are the common ones like ^_^ and o_O, but there's tons of the super complicated ones. Finally, I can utilize Windows 11 to show my coworkers how I really feel

:tipshat:

For the clipboard history at least, it's been great to have on my phone but I was too dumb to look up whether Windows had it

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The symbol/kaomoji library can be brought up Windows 10 with windows+.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I just discovered my phone does preset... those things.

There are categories like love, surprise, "shruggie," and "table flip." Here's a "look of disapproval."
ಠಿ⁠ヮ⁠ಠ

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

sebmojo posted:

Nz version is stiff biccies

Gonna appropriate this for 'straya because the word 'cookie' is bandied around here quite wildly these days and someone needs to stand against the scourge using every weapon they can.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baron von Eevl posted:

I just discovered my phone does preset... those things.

There are categories like love, surprise, "shruggie," and "table flip." Here's a "look of disapproval."
ಠಿ⁠ヮ⁠ಠ

Me when I see an imposter,

ಠ_ಠ

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Now I don't have to Google™ "oe ligature" and copy-paste it from the results every time I type diarrhœa. ╰(*°▽°*)╯

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Now I don't have to Google™ "oe ligature" and copy-paste it from the results every time I type diarrhœa. ╰(*°▽°*)╯

You can just post as normal for that.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

You can just post as normal for that.
It's a given, given the username, but also who the hell needs to spell with conjoined dipthongs in English anyway?? "I'm a big poo poo, watch me spell encyclopedia wrong"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

one of my favorite jokes in the series

I think it took me like 20 years after seeing that joke to learn that "TS" is actually a thing people allegedly say and "tethered swimming" wasn't just some totally arbitrary weird and bad thing they came up with.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Countries are just scaled up company towns

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The fact that "αυ" makes an "af"/"av" sound in modern Greek also extends to pronouncing "τ" (tau) as "tavv" :psyduck:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Now that I've dropped around 28 kg, three bottles of wine is way roo mucb

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Now that I've dropped around 28 kg, three bottles of wine is way roo mucb

those must be some big bottles if they weighed 9kg each.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

those must be some big bottles if they weighed 9kg each.

Yes.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Didn't realize it myself, but a "duh, of course" moment:

Was looking at a 1940's issue of Life magazine at work and chuckling at the ads. One boasted the powers of olive oil and palm oil in this new soap that won't ruin your hands!

Palmolive

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:aaaaa:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Never knew that.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Didn't realize it myself, but a "duh, of course" moment:

Was looking at a 1940's issue of Life magazine at work and chuckling at the ads. One boasted the powers of olive oil and palm oil in this new soap that won't ruin your hands!

Palmolive

I felt like that when I learned that Kaopectate used to contain kaolin clay and pectin

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I recently had that moment where I'd wondered why a restaurant that used to be near me was called "2 Vine" when it was on Winthrop Street.

Turns out the parking lot through-road used to be called Vine Street! This is somehow never mentioned in any article about the restaurant, but I found out looking at old maps.

Very satisfying.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fred Durst wasn't singing "it's my way on the highway". It's "my way or the highway", which makes waaaay more sense.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Hyperlynx posted:

Fred Durst wasn't singing "it's my way on the highway". It's "my way or the highway", which makes waaaay more sense.

My latest was Britney. It's not "Show me how you want to do me"

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Empty Sandwich posted:

I felt like that when I learned that Kaopectate used to contain kaolin clay and pectin

Maalox is magnesium and aluminum oxides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tad Naff posted:

My latest was Britney. It's not "Show me how you want to do me"
btw the actual meaning is "hit me [up]" i.e. "call me" but the writer was Norwegian or something and they went with it anyway.

Makes a lot more sense when the intent is "i'm lonely pls call"