Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Leon Sumbitches posted:

My love language is an obscure dialect

hopefully not one made up by a north carolina teenager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rollick posted:

There's a popular channel on YouTube called Vsauce, and there's a popular guy on Youtube called Vinny Sauce, but they aren't related.

what about vinesAuce

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That "Love Languages" thing is an unholy combination of one-weird-trickification of interpersonal interaction and a way for pieces of poo poo to excuse themselves for being pieces of poo poo. IIRC it's also a trojan horse for the author's conservative christian family dynamics, but I could be misremembering.

Anyway I just realized there was less time between the release of Earthbound and Mother 3 than there's been from Mother 3 'til now. Woah!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Moon Monster posted:

That "Love Languages" thing is an unholy combination of one-weird-trickification of interpersonal interaction and a way for pieces of poo poo to excuse themselves for being pieces of poo poo. IIRC it's also a trojan horse for the author's conservative christian family dynamics, but I could be misremembering.

Anyway I just realized there was less time between the release of Earthbound and Mother 3 than there's been from Mother 3 'til now. Woah!

my love language is facts about nintendo games and i just had an orgasm

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

My irritation is at people saying "acts of service" and "words of affirmation", expecting everyone to know what the hell they're talking about, rather than normal human language like "do nice things for me" and "give me compliments".
See, my initial interpretation of "my love language is acts of service" is "I express my love by doing nice things for others," not the other way around. It's a lot less :rolleyes: than the selfish take, but there's no way to tell what's meant.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hirayuki posted:

See, my initial interpretation of "my love language is acts of service" is "I express my love by doing nice things for others," not the other way around. It's a lot less :rolleyes: than the selfish take, but there's no way to tell what's meant.

Oh, huh, I didn't even think of that. Well, cool, it's even less clear than just using normal language!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I take it communicating the message kind of well in a way. You two don't match

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

That's what people upthread are saying about giving/receiving being different for people. And it it's not any more selfish than any other one, this is just describing what makes people feel valued/loved in a relationship, and what is the most natural way they show love/value. Obviously the guy who came up with it is an issue, but as a communication concept it makes sense which is why it is pretty mainstream as an idea.

Like if someone feels valued when their partner does something nice for them, but their partner doesn't know that and their default way of showing love is talking about it, it's not going to work out very well unless they understand that's a thing and communicate about it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Like most systems like this (learning styles, infp or whatever, your job likely has a few they love) they're most useful for providing language to communicate concepts, and they get less and less useful the more strictly you try to view them.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

what about vinesAuce

Oh right, that's the name: Vinny Vinesauce.

I don't know the Vsauce guy's name because I only see his face in thumbnails with one eyebrow raised.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

rollick posted:

I don't know the Vsauce guy's name because I only see his face in thumbnails with one eyebrow raised.

Same, plus I get him mixed up with that other bespectacled bald guy with a beard who’s in like fifty separate YouTube channels except he’s British

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't know who you're referring to but that archetype is so common that it might actually be fifty different people

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

the Vsauce people introduce themselves by name at the beginning of every video and none of them go by "Vsauce"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Love languages are like Meyers Briggs and DISC where it makes complete and total common sense and collapses under any further scrutiny.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's utility in pointing out that different people express love in different ways, but saying "now tag yourself on this complete list of all the ways" isn't so great.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

root beer posted:

Same, plus I get him mixed up with that other bespectacled bald guy with a beard who’s in like fifty separate YouTube channels except he’s British

That guy freaks me out because whenever he shows up in my recommendations with yet another channel, I can't tell if it's him or if I'm having a case of goon face blindness

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's utility in pointing out that different people express love in different ways, but saying "now tag yourself on this complete list of all the ways" isn't so great.

It's just taking extremely basic communication concepts I'd imagine any couples councilor would tell you in the first two minutes of your first visit and expanding them into this bogus system so nitwits can point and say "My love language is the pink pony with a heart on its butt whereas yours has an orange bandana and nunchuks". The real crime here is the unrealized merchandising potential.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

zedprime posted:

Love languages are like Meyers Briggs and DISC where it makes complete and total common sense and collapses under any further scrutiny.

See also Malcolm Gladwell's entire output.

The love language thing is basically providing a nice answer to people asking WHY DOESNT MY PARTNER LOVE MEEEEEEE. "He does love you, Sharon. He took the rubbish out last Tuesday, and he changed the plug on the tv yesterday. Acts of service!"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A standard claw hammer makes a pretty great weeding tool. You can use it like a miniature mattock: swing it at the dirt to dig under a weed, loosening everything up so you can pull the weed out. Sure, sometimes you'll cut the root instead, but at least from my short test, it works great and is way easier than a trowel.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
My Photos app on my phone has content recognition. I can search with the term "cat" and find any cat pictures I've taken.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Captain Splendid posted:

My Photos app on my phone has content recognition. I can search with the term "cat" and find any cat pictures I've taken.

The app on my phone occasionally suggests little slideshows of all the cat pictures I've taken. Apparently my dad's white beard is also a cat.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

My phone mostly just shows me pictures of my exes and friends that have passed away. I don't know what algorithm it uses to pull photos but it's usually just a bummer.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe it’s a reminder that some culling is in order, at least for the pix of your exes anyway

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Huh, noon is a corruption of the ninth hour (nona hora), and it used to be 3pm because monks got up at 6. TIL.

I made you a gang tag

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

A standard claw hammer makes a pretty great weeding tool. You can use it like a miniature mattock: swing it at the dirt to dig under a weed, loosening everything up so you can pull the weed out. Sure, sometimes you'll cut the root instead, but at least from my short test, it works great and is way easier than a trowel.

That's a lot of effort for most weeds, especially if you're weeding a larger area!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Leon Sumbitches posted:

That's a lot of effort for most weeds, especially if you're weeding a larger area!

I'm comparing this to using a trowel to dig out the roots of a weed. If the weed's the type you can just yank out by the stems, then of course just do that! But you always want to get the roots if at all possible, otherwise the weed will be back in very short order.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

I made you a gang tag

erect a thousand obelisks and do they call you semet the obelisk erecter? nooo.....but you gently caress one goat......

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I'm comparing this to using a trowel to dig out the roots of a weed. If the weed's the type you can just yank out by the stems, then of course just do that! But you always want to get the roots if at all possible, otherwise the weed will be back in very short order.

Indeed! My friend, let me introduce you to the humble hori hori. Perfect for weeding large areas, you basically cut the soil under the roots and they pull up easily. I've used one for decades and think they're perfect.

https://www.niwaki.com/hori-hori/#P00442-7

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Dedicated weeding tools exist too

but since I don't have a vegetable garden anymore, my strategy these days is to ignore weeds. Also yeah hori hori is a kick rear end tool, especially if you're dealing with things with really tough roots.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Then don't use a trowel, use a weed-tool.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm sure those tools work great, but I don't have them. I have a trowel (somewhere, in my moving boxes) and a claw hammer, and I wanted to do some weeding yesterday, and hey, the claw hammer works just fine!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm sure those tools work great, but I don't have them. I have a trowel (somewhere, in my moving boxes) and a claw hammer, and I wanted to do some weeding yesterday, and hey, the claw hammer works just fine!

I know it's not what you meant or what you did, but I'm picturing someone just absolutely pulverizing a dandelion with the regular end of a hammer like the ape with the thighbone at the start of 2001: A Space Odyssey, and it's making me giggle

Screw you, dandelion! gently caress you!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

I have one of these and it owns

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I know it's not what you meant or what you did, but I'm picturing someone just absolutely pulverizing a dandelion with the regular end of a hammer like the ape with the thighbone at the start of 2001: A Space Odyssey, and it's making me giggle

Screw you, dandelion! gently caress you!

that flower had it coming to it, it knows what it did

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

hawowanlawow posted:

I have one of these and it owns

you give that back to Grampa!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dip Viscous posted:

but since I don't have a vegetable garden anymore, my strategy these days is to ignore weeds. Also yeah hori hori is a kick rear end tool, especially if you're dealing with things with really tough roots.

It's also a great weapon for the post apocalypse too from the looks of it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

assuming you're being raided by weeds

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How sturdy is the pokey portion on the side. I think it'd do great against armor, certainly any you'd encounter from wasteland blacksmith

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Not at all sturdy, the pokey bit is part of the hinge that makes the pinchy bits do the pinching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: I read the thread.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Apr 14, 2024