Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Phyzzle posted:

I just figured out that entomology is not the study of ants, but of insects in general.

Then I figured out that myrmecology is the study of ants, not fungus.

Because it's mycology which is the study of fungus, not the study of looking at small things, which is microscopy.

As opposed to macroscopy, which is looking at your mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The letter "S" is probably deliberately shaped like a snake. It's the Latin alphabet, and the word for snake in Latin is "Serpens." It can't possibly be a coincidence.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sucrose posted:

The letter "S" is probably deliberately shaped like a snake. It's the Latin alphabet, and the word for snake in Latin is "Serpens." It can't possibly be a coincidence.

Have you seen how jaggy the early forms of letters are?

I don't know if it's because they had to be carved into stone or wax or what but there's nothing sinuous about early forms of "s"

It could be trying to look snakelike but the ancient "s" looks more like a sideways "w"

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Have you seen how jaggy the early forms of letters are?

I don't know if it's because they had to be carved into stone or wax or what but there's nothing sinuous about early forms of "s"

It could be trying to look snakelike but the ancient "s" looks more like a sideways "w"

Ah, you're right. The original letter was much more jagged, so that probably nixes my snake theory.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Phoenician letter nun which looks like a mirrored capital N, and actually is the ancestor of latin N, was likely derived from the Egyptian hieroglyphic for snake.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
sierra mist.... mountain dew.

duh.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm gonna get dogpiled for this one but here goes:

I had no idea this was a comedy forum, I just thought it was a really good forum with occasionally funny posts :cripes:

Feels like I just signed my own death warrant :ohdear:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's fine. You'd be kindof weird if you did think it was a comedy forum to be honest.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Parrotine posted:

I just thought it was a really good forum

lol

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It's fine. You'd be kindof weird if you did think it was a comedy forum to be honest.

It's comedy in the sense that we all hate ourselves so we make fun of everyone (including ourselves) to feel better.

In other words, it's only funny to us and just sad to everyone else.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Parrotine posted:

I had no idea this was a comedy forum,

dont worry its not

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Telephony is not pronounced tele-phony but rather te-LEH-fuh-nee. It's also apparently a real word and not just a bad pun. I was misled by an episode (called "Telephonies") of, uh... something.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICnlyNUt_0o

That isn't a George Michael song. Also, pangolins exist.

I figured each of these out like two years ago.

semicolon
Jun 20, 2004
The hash part of a URL doesn't get sent to the server--it's entirely client-side.

e: so in this URL:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711921&pagenumber=7#lastpost

the "lastpost" part is just an instruction for the browser (via client-side javascript) to scroll to the last post. The server never sees it because the server doesn't give a poo poo what post is in your viewport.

e2: this is different from the "threadid", "pagenumber", and "perpage", which the server does need to know in order to retrieve the right posts.

semicolon has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Sep 27, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

andipossess posted:

Telephony is not pronounced tele-phony but rather te-LEH-fuh-nee. It's also apparently a real word and not just a bad pun. I was misled by an episode (called "Telephonies") of, uh... something.

People know how to use Google. We all know you watch The Powerpuff Girls. And now that you're embarrassed about it.

Don't be. It's a good show.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon aren't the same show or people.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
Today I learned that the Benelux Union in Europe is named by the first letters of each member state within it. Belgium - Netherlands - Luxembourg. Same principle as Nylon, but it's a bit wierd to do that for countries.

semicolon
Jun 20, 2004

Rasler posted:

Today I learned that the Benelux Union in Europe is named by the first letters of each member state within it. Belgium - Netherlands - Luxembourg. Same principle as Nylon, but it's a bit wierd to do that for countries.

I thought it was especially weird to do that with the English names for three countries whose official languages aren't English, but it looks like it works in most of the major languages of those countries, too. Except Netherlands in French is Pays-Bas so gently caress you southern Belgians!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Rasler posted:

Same principle as Nylon
Except that story is apocryphal.

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

Flipperwaldt posted:

Except that story is apocryphal.

The story relates to the apocalypse?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

I loving hate what the History Channel has become.

Aw poo poo page snipe sorry.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Just Offscreen posted:

I loving hate what the History Channel has become.

Aw poo poo page snipe sorry.

Yes, it was SO much better back in the 90s when it was the Hitler channel.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Infyrno posted:

No.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wanamingo posted:

How It's Made begs to differ with you.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Infyrno posted:

Nice questionable etymology.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Wanamingo posted:

At least Hitler was loving real.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I just occurred to me that Beck does not literally have two turn tables and a microphone.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Infyrno posted:

You're thinking of episcopalian.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I just occurred to me that Beck does not literally have two turn tables and a microphone.

He probably does. I would imagine he has even more than that actually.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
He eats his dinner off of turntables. Just lets the food lazy susan its way into his mouth. What a loser.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

He's singing about his cock and balls.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

He's singing about his cock and balls.

You kid but I actually thought this in the 90s.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I was watching a clip of Nicholas Cage in Wicker Man and he pronounces quixotically "quee-zotically". You never hear it out loud, but I always read it "keehotically", like you say Don Quixote. The dictionary sides with Nicholas Cage.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I was watching a clip of Nicholas Cage in Wicker Man and he pronounces quixotically "quee-zotically". You never hear it out loud, but I always read it "keehotically", like you say Don Quixote. The dictionary sides with Nicholas Cage.

Kind of. It's more like "Quik-sahtik-al-ly."

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I always read it "keehotically", like you say Don Quixote.

You say Quixote "Keehot"? Please stop immediately s:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Phosphine posted:

It's not pronounced like the cereal.

There's a joke in the Simpsons where Homer is trying to remember Don Quixote and Marge says the title, but until I watched the episode with the subtitles I was super confused because I thought she was saying "Donkey Oatie".

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

Phosphine posted:

I mean that's actually the way it's pronounced in the original Spanish (sort of, it's actually "Keehotay"). In olde Spanish the letter x was pronounced like j is now (Hence the Spanish pronunciation of Mexico as "Meheeko" or Texas as "Tehas". Also why in modern copies of Don Quixote the name is spelt Don Quijote).

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Lady Naga posted:

It's not pronounced like the cereal.

I am not aware of any cereal it would be pronounced like.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Lady Naga posted:

There's a joke in the Simpsons where Homer is trying to remember Don Quixote and Marge says the title, but until I watched the episode with the subtitles I was super confused because I thought she was saying "Donkey Oatie".
It's Donkey Hodie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Phosphine posted:

I am not aware of any cereal it would be pronounced like.

Kix?