Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Someone was trying to tell me the Britney Spears song "If U Seek Amy" was an "incredibly clever" way to "sneak past" censors and "nobody knew" what was actually being said for "years."

quote:

But all of the boys and all of the girls are begging to if you seek Amy

If it took you longer than one day to get the "secret message" you're just a goddamn idiot, and this fooled nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Didn't realize it myself, but a "duh, of course" moment:

Was looking at a 1940's issue of Life magazine at work and chuckling at the ads. One boasted the powers of olive oil and palm oil in this new soap that won't ruin your hands!

Palmolive

Now look up “Triscuit”.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

credburn posted:

Someone was trying to tell me the Britney Spears song "If U Seek Amy" was an "incredibly clever" way to "sneak past" censors and "nobody knew" what was actually being said for "years."

If it took you longer than one day to get the "secret message" you're just a goddamn idiot, and this fooled nobody.

Yeah grammatically it made no sense unless you actually read it as "gently caress me". Maybe it just got past surface-level censors just doing a ctrl-F

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

FFT posted:

btw the actual meaning is "hit me [up]" i.e. "call me" but the writer was Norwegian or something and they went with it anyway.

Makes a lot more sense when the intent is "i'm lonely pls call"

On the topic of songs, we don't have the expression "hit me up" in Australia, so when I first heard that song "come hit me up" I was like "is that the same as 'come get me knocked up'?" and was very confused.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Platystemon posted:

Now look up “Triscuit”.

They 'tried' to make a 'biscuit'.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Recently realized it's "I wish that I had Jessie's girl" not "I wish that I was Jessie's girl". I kinda just never actually listened to the song when it was on the radio.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

credburn posted:

It's early and my brain isn't working. What am I supposed to see here?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Silver Falcon posted:

It's early and my brain isn't working. What am I supposed to see here?

The words spell a phrase

F-U-C-K me

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Hyperlynx posted:

On the topic of songs, we don't have the expression "hit me up" in Australia, so when I first heard that song "come hit me up" I was like "is that the same as 'come get me knocked up'?" and was very confused.

I assumed it was about blackjack or something until just now because I've never listened to the lyrics.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah grammatically it made no sense unless you actually read it as "gently caress me". Maybe it just got past surface-level censors just doing a ctrl-F

I mean, it "gets past" the censors because she's not literally saying a vulgar word, even though it's obvious what she means. It wasn't exactly a massive hit anyway, so we can't really gauge how much she got away with it. If it was played in tons of grocery stores or kids' movie trailers or something, that would be pretty remarkable. As it stands, it's like the Onion headline of Marilyn Manson going door-to-door trying to shock people.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Recently realized it's "I wish that I had Jessie's girl" not "I wish that I was Jessie's girl". I kinda just never actually listened to the song when it was on the radio.
I have clear memories of hearing this song on the radio when it first came out (and occasionally again over the years), and if it makes you feel any better, while knowing intellectually that it was "had," "was" feels a lot more natural when I recall the lyrics or sing them in my head. But I'm a straight woman, which may have something to do with it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

One of the repeated lyrics is "where can I find a woman like that" so I have no idea how y'all made this mistake.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FFT posted:

One of the repeated lyrics is "where can I find a woman like that" so I have no idea how y'all made this mistake.

I can... become her. I will be Jessie's girl.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FFT posted:

When you're a little kid (I was three when the song came out), you can handwave away a lot of poo poo that doesn't make sense.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Honk shoo honk shoo" is just a hosed-up way English people want to represent the "krooh pyyh krooh pyyh" of a person snoring while asleep.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Nameless Pete posted:

Maalox is magnesium and aluminum oxides.

I have Learned a Fact

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have always known intellectually that the song goes "had Jessie's girl" but I also always hear it as "was Jessie's girl."

FFT posted:

Perhaps Jessie is also a woman and the singer wants a woman like Jessie, hence why he wants to be Jessie's girl.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baron von Eevl posted:

Perhaps Jessie is also a woman and the singer wants a woman like Jessie, hence why he wants to be Jessie's girl.

You know what, I'm gonna play along with this charade

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
In a way, we are all Jessie's girl.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You know what, I'm gonna play along with this charade

Jessie's been a friend, yeah I know he's been a good friend of mine.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Buddy it's 2024 if you're still getting hung up on pronouns I don't know what to tell ya

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Honk shoo honk shoo" is just a hosed-up way English people want to represent the "krooh pyyh krooh pyyh" of a person snoring while asleep.

I’ve got some real bad news about onomatopoeia in diff languages for you

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a cyborg mug posted:

Honk is categorically an outwards sound, and so is shoo. :colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Baron von Eevl posted:

Buddy it's 2024 if you're still getting hung up on pronouns I don't know what to tell ya

"Jessie's Girl" is a genderfuck anthem!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So is Jessie, Stacy's dad?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

a cyborg mug posted:

In French, bees don’t buzz. They bourdonner.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The Moon Monster posted:

Fun fact: Rick Springfield has one of the most extensive collections of Star Wars memorabilia in the world.

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Honk is categorically an outwards sound, and so is shoo. :colbert:

If you can't imagine "honk" describing an inhaling snore sound pretty well, I worry about you.

Aphrodite posted:

In French, bees don’t buzz. They bourdonner.

:eng101: they (ils) bourdonnent, n'est-ce pas?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Harvey TWH posted:

:eng101: they (ils) bourdonnent, n'est-ce pas?

Surely a group of bees would be "elles"? :thunk:

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Surely a group of bees would be "elles"? :thunk:

Oh, bee is grammatically feminine? I was going to joke that you're more likely to hear the male ones buzzing, but now I can't be sure of that from a linguistic or apicultural standpoint.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Harvey TWH posted:

Oh, bee is grammatically feminine? I was going to joke that you're more likely to hear the male ones buzzing, but now I can't be sure of that from a linguistic or apicultural standpoint.

All worker bees are female, aren't they? Same as ants?
Bee genetics is one of those topics I remember enough about to know it is fascinating and important, but not enough to actually, y'know, talk about with anyone. Just sort of do some Pavlovian dribbling when I read the word "apiculture"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Tree Bucket posted:

Bee genetics is one of those topics I remember enough about to know it is fascinating and important, but not enough to actually, y'know, talk about with anyone. Just sort of do some Pavlovian dribbling when I read the word "apiculture"

Sort of. If that particular science was done today the taxonomy would be much more open to calling them something third. They where defaulted to as female more from 19th c. cultural inertia than 19th c. science

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Tree Bucket posted:

Oh, I'll bee darned. I knew there was something special with bees but I misremembered it as the queen being the only female, thus the rest being males... or something. Oh well.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Sort of. If that particular science was done today the taxonomy would be much more open to calling them something third.

N-Bee?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:golfclap:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

You'll love this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pik_d posted:

You'll love this

you are correct

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Confusing shades of pink with grey is not normal and is a symptom of my deutan colour blindness.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Qapla' is from Star Trek. It is Klingon for "hooray!".
Ghafla is from Dune. It is Arabic Fremen for someone who is easily distracted, and not reliable.

They are not the same words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Hyperlynx posted:

Qapla' is from Star Trek. It is Klingon for "hooray!".
Ghafla is from Dune. It is Arabic Fremen for someone who is easily distracted, and not reliable.

They are not the same words.

At least you didn't embarrass yourself in front of any cool people.