Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The name "Vaseline" is derived from the German word "Wasser" (water) and the Greek word "elaion" (olive oil), indicating its semisolid, water-repellent properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Iceland-Shattering Kabooms? Seems appropriate.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Hot-but-scary half naked chick with blue skin and a belt made out of human skulls? Mystique from X-Men is modeled off of the Hindu goddess Kali.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The advertising jingle "I'd Like To Buy the World a Coke" wasn't a reworded cover of "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing", it was actually the other way around. Advertising executives came up with the Coke jingle (based on the tune of an earlier song called "True Love and Apple Pie") and it became so popular that they wrote new lyrics and released it as a generic pop song

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The WB logo on the Warner Brothers water tower probably isn't actually a hatch that swings open.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Next you’ll tell me there isn’t even a Warner Sister :mad:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

root beer posted:

Next you’ll tell me there isn’t even a Warner Sister :mad:

Whaddaya mean, how could he, she's right there next to 'em. The bros and Dot.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The bros and Dot.

I believe I have just realized something (ty)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Empty Sandwich posted:

poo poo.

Me too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Whaddaya mean, how could he, she's right there next to 'em. The bros and Dot.

Empty Sandwich posted:

... :aaaaa:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Hectares are bigger than acres

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Splendid posted:

Hectares are bigger than acres

the measurement system of the british empire sucks rear end

e: sorry 9/16 of rear end and 7/16 of garbage

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Any system of measurements that requires you to use fractions is an abomination

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Fractions, fracture us. Diminishes us. Multiples... multiples makes us dance in multitude.

Ergo like imperial sux my dude, gnarly metric ftw

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

A 1/10th? 1/100th? All human endeavor is folly. There is only being a good dog. Woof Woof

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, just have a unique name for every single possible amount, no problem.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
We've never needed more than enough.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"Man on the Moon" by REM, about Andy Kaufman, was not written for the film "Man on the Moon", about Andy Kaufman.

The film was named after the song.

"The Great Beyond", by REM, about Andy Kaufman, was written for the film "Man on the Moon", by Andy Kaufman.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

There has never been a real life NFL player named QB Bills.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wakka wakka posted:

A 1/10th? 1/100th? All human endeavor is folly. There is only being a good dog. Woof Woof

what are you, from the year 405? who writes 1/10

but ok, decimals are a new invention, so check this out: you can write like 100.001 and it means ten times ten plus one less than ten times nine and nine

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Carthag Tuek posted:

but ok, decimals are a new invention, so check this out: you can write like 100.001 and it means ten times ten plus one less than ten times nine and nine

You could get 9/10 more work done if you stopped worrying about how other people use numbers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Hygiene posted:

You could get 9/10 more work done if you stopped worrying about how other people use numbers

i only work when i wanna and also they started it

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Posting is praxis, picking fight's for fun if you win

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I can control Youtube on my PS5 on my Anroid phone. (Good for queueing up songs or whatever.) Just happened to open the Youtube application on the phone while watching a video on my TV and it asked me if I want to connect.

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

perhaps these posts where a little 0.5 baked

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

wakka wakka posted:

perhaps these posts where a little 0.5 baked

Perhaps there's no saving someone if you have to convince them to use metric

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
"High noon" (midday) isn't when the sun is at it's highest point in the sky, actual solar noon very rarely falls exactly on 12:00 and during some parts of the year in some parts of the world there might be more than an hour's difference between the two. It also occurs on a slightly different time every day

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Perhaps there's no saving someone if you have to convince them to use metric

there's no saving anyone on this site

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"High noon" (midday) isn't when the sun is at it's highest point in the sky, actual solar noon very rarely falls exactly on 12:00 and during some parts of the year in some parts of the world there might be more than an hour's difference between the two. It also occurs on a slightly different time every day

Is it similar to "bottom of the hour" and actually referring to where a clock's hand are pointing?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Not sure what you mean by "isn't when the sun is at its highest point" because that is exactly what it is. Its called "HIGH noon" because the sun is the highest and the shadows are the shortest.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah, you'd say "duel at high noon" because the clocks weren't calibrated the same, poo poo, and/or absent.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Today I just realised that one shouldn't adjust one's glasses while walking down stairs...

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Taskmaster is just comedians doing mod challenges for tv.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The population of the land of the dead in Coco is kind of an odd thing to consider. The only people there either are in the memory of living people and/or still have a portrait on an ofrenda. An art piece or painted portrait also seems to count on an ofrenda same as a photo, so you could have people from like the medieval era possibly still there.

The ofrenda portrait is only necessary to visit the land of the living on Dia de los Muertos. However, those no longer in the memory of anyone living vanish from the land of the dead, the Final Death. So without ofrenda portraits, that's maybe two generations of staying power before anyone who met you in life is dead themselves.

So the population is basically comprised of:

1.) People with a single portrait kicking around from antiquity on, of which the identity is known and cared about. Probably wealthy families or historical figures, well-represented and beloved celebrities, artists.

2.) A disproportionate bias towards people born after the advent of photography, probably the majority of the land of the dead. A lovely little blurry pic from 1888 that says "Papa" could potentially keep some dude going in the afterlife indefinitely.

It's interesting to consider that the Land of the Dead has probably grown hugely in just the past century or two, with an ever-increasing upward trend as photography and digital imagery becomes more commonplace. Instead of everyone who dies spending on average a couple living generations in the land of the dead then going on to the Final Death, suddenly nearly everyone who showed up was both there indefinitely AND had access to the land of the living via the ofrenda offering, probably necessitating the complex bureaucratic infrastructure witnessed in the film.

In summation, far from being an eternal afterlife, the Land of the Dead in Coco is a crowded limbo rife with exaggerated inequity reflecting the inequity of the living world.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Taeke posted:

Taskmaster is just comedians doing mod challenges for tv.

:hmmyes:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

500excf type r posted:

Not sure what you mean by "isn't when the sun is at its highest point" because that is exactly what it is. Its called "HIGH noon" because the sun is the highest and the shadows are the shortest.

It used to mean that back before we had mechanical clocks (the phrase goes back to at least 1370 according to the OED) but it hasn't actually meant that in practice for a long time now. In the 1952 movie High Noon Gary Cooper was always glancing at his pocket watch or the clock on the wall as it got closer to noon, he wasn't running outside to check a sun dial or the length of the shadows

If you can find an example where they stand around measuring the shadows before they agree to start the shoot out I'll concede the point but I don't like your chances, lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Finishing my book on company time means I now have nothing to read on the bus, reducing me to busposting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's like the worst possible example you can use, because the point of the movie is the guy coming for him is on the 12:00 train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"High Noon" is when the sun is at its zenith, if you mean 12PM local time then you just say "noon".