Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Quick Oats, I'm guessing.

I just figured out that there's a link to the user control panel at the bottom of the page as well as at the top. All those years of scrolling back up to the top of the page like a chump :saddowns:

One Swell Foop has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Oh hey the Stuff you can't believe you figured out thread is doing how to pronounce poo poo again. This is exciting!

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just realized that the word analysis comes from the word anal and the word "lysis", as in destruction. Students at ancient Greek academies would have their arguments ruthlessly dissected by their teachers, and the students were said to be "analysed".... that is.... ancient Greek for "butthurt". :eyepop: Source here.

gentle pete has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Sep 29, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Lying is wrong, gentle pete.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

One Swell Foop posted:

Quick Oats, I'm guessing.

I just figured out that there's a link to the user control panel at the bottom of the page as well as at the top. All those years of scrolling back up to the top of the page like a chump :saddowns:

I never bothered scrolling up, I just clicked the "up" button that appears when I put the cursor in either lower corner. Although I guess I'm done doing that now that I know about the control panel link at the bottom.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009
They number the bottom of pages in some books too, apparently! Very convenient.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Patchwork Shaman posted:

when I put the cursor in either lower corner

well goddamn

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So everyone knows goons love The Wire but it took me to the drat end of the show to be completely certain that Snoop was a woman.

I'm going to have to rewatch to see if there are any indications at all about this. I always wondered I mean, I'm not blind but I honestly couldn't figure it out and didn't want to look it up.

I guess the tendency for enjoying The Wire goes along with face blindness in the hivemind.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Wanamingo posted:

Yes, it was SO much better back in the 90s when it was the Hitler channel.

Next on Modern Marvels: Beans.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

syscall girl posted:

So everyone knows goons love The Wire but it took me to the drat end of the show to be completely certain that Snoop was a woman.

I'm going to have to rewatch to see if there are any indications at all about this. I always wondered I mean, I'm not blind but I honestly couldn't figure it out and didn't want to look it up.

I guess the tendency for enjoying The Wire goes along with face blindness in the hivemind.

I think it's more goons are loving around with their phone or something while watching a thing instead of paying attention. Her gender is mentioned all the time. This is one of Snoop's earliest scenes, Marlo literally says "your turn, girl":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTLhRojxEtk

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

syscall girl posted:

Goons schmoons. You may just be retarded.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

John Big Booty posted:

Goons schmoons. You may just be retarded.

This, and what snapchat a titty said.

I really don't "watch" shows and well, often don't listen to them either.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Just Offscreen posted:

Next on Modern Marvels: Beans.

Modern Marvels is a good show and I'll fight anyone that disagrees :colbert:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thump! posted:

Yeah but the name was really inappropriate for a lot of the stuff they covered.

e: unless you define "modern" as mid-Paleolithic

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

syscall girl posted:

Yeah but the name was really inappropriate for a lot of the stuff they covered.

e: unless you define "modern" as mid-Paleolithic

You're misreading the title. It's not the marvels that are modern, it's the time we are marvelling at them!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Thump! posted:

It was good until they literally ran out of relevant things to Marvel at.

Edit: holy poo poo

Episode- "World Trade Center" June 25, 2001

Just Offscreen has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Oct 1, 2015

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008
another episode that fails to live up to the show's name

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I think it's more goons are loving around with their phone or something while watching a thing instead of paying attention. Her gender is mentioned all the time. This is one of Snoop's earliest scenes, Marlo literally says "your turn, girl":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTLhRojxEtk

She's also dressed in all pink during a motorcycle drive-by, IIRC. I don't think a lot of male enforcers in the hood are ever seen wearing pink.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Just realized that the word alphabet likely comes from "alpha beta"

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008

Davinci posted:

Just realized that the word alphabet likely comes from "alpha beta"

Yup! And Arabic and other scripts have an abjad instead, where short vowels are unmarked. The first four letters of Arabic? A - b - j - d

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

She's also dressed in all pink during a motorcycle drive-by, IIRC. I don't think a lot of male enforcers in the hood are ever seen wearing pink.

It's included in the link :ssh:

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

Just Offscreen posted:

It was good until they literally ran out of relevant things to Marvel at.

Edit: holy poo poo

Episode- "World Trade Center" June 25, 2001

"Garbage"

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
When you consider the amount of garbage people make, that's probably something to marvel at.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Zesty Mordant posted:

When you consider the amount of garbage people make, that's probably something to marvel at.

I remember a school trip to the waste treatment plant where a guy pointed out that modern society would have been impossible if the chemical used to break down the massive amount of literal poo poo we generate hadn't been discovered.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What kind of school takes a field trip to a waste treatment plant?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Parrotine posted:

My school did it too. Part of a thing about recycling I think, some 20 years ago. Idk if current schools here still do it. It was pretty cool though.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm going to guess in the mid-atlantic to northeast of the United States. I'm going to guess even further and say New Jersey. Because that totally seems like something they would do.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The whole big comb thing filtering out the toilet paper from the poopwater man. The smell is godawful, but also it's hilarious.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Cadence: the tempo or rhythm at which something does

Decadence: moral or cultural decline as characterized by excessive indulgence in pleasure or luxury.

They have the same roots obviously.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Parrotine posted:

I went to one through Girl Guides, which is basically Girl Scouts in Canada. They were teaching us what kind of stuff would get dumped into the environment if there weren't treatment plants, how all the mechanical and chemical filtration systems work. There's also a program in my city that takes junior high students rafting on our biggest river, and they do water testing just before they reach the treatment plant and immediately after they pass the outflow pipe to demonstrate how effective it is. It's actually super cool.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
I went to a waste treatment facility (and a separate recycling plant) as a school field trip, and this was in Australia.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

amityville anus posted:

Cadence: the tempo or rhythm at which something does

Decadence: moral or cultural decline as characterized by excessive indulgence in pleasure or luxury.

They have the same roots obviously.

They do, but you actually have to go back a pretty long way to get to it!

"Cadence" directly derives from Latin's cadere, which means "to fall, to sink, to cease". The link seems to be the unstressed portion of speech, writing, activity, etc. falling away from the (stressed) beat.

"Decadence", on the other hand, also ultimately derives from cadere, but through decadere, which is almost as old a word. (In fact, a couple of etymology sources I've checked don't even acknowledge cadere at all, stopping the traceback at decadere.) decadere means "to sink, to fall, to decay", with the connotation that the fall is irrecoverable. In fact, "decay" comes from the same word; "decadence" is more closely related to "decay" than to "cadence".

They look similar in English because they were both participles in Latin: cadens "falling" and decadens "decaying".

Incidentally, "decade" has nothing to do with "decadence". We get "decade" from Greek δέκα which, predictably, means "ten".

:eng101: or :goonsay:, take your pick!

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Oct 3, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Besesoth posted:

"Cadence" directly derives from Latin's cadere, which means "to fall, to sink, to cease". The link seems to be the unstressed portion of speech, writing, activity, etc. falling away from the (stressed) beat.

"Decadence", on the other hand, also ultimately derives from cadere, but through decadere, which is almost as old a word. (In fact, a couple of etymology sources I've checked don't even acknowledge cadere at all, stopping the traceback at decadere.) decadere means "to sink, to fall, to decay", with the connotation that the fall is irrecoverable. In fact, "decay" comes from the same word; "decadence" is more closely related to "decay" than to "cadence".

They look similar in English because they were both participles in Latin: [i]cadens
"falling" and [i]decadens
"decaying".

Incidentally, "decade" has nothing to do with "decadence". We get "decade" from Greek δέκα which, predictably, means "ten".

i think that is actually what he said though with less bb codes

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i think that is actually what he said though with less bb codes

The point was that two words that "obviously" have the same roots don't always, or don't always take the same etymological route to get to us. That's why I included "decade" - "decade" and "decadence" are "obviously" related except that, of course, they're completely not.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Yes, it was SO much better back in the 90s when it was the Hitler channel.

You mean Civil War: The channel with occasional filler show about Hitler?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In Detroit/Windsor, there is a radio station called The River (93.9 FM). It's slogan is "Deep. Cool. Current." which does a fair job of describing the music it plays (modern indie rock). I only recently realized that all of those words are also meant to describe a river (although "current" would be a noun in that case and not an adjective).

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

In Detroit/Windsor, there is a radio station called The River (93.9 FM). It's slogan is "Deep. Cool. Current." which does a fair job of describing the music it plays (modern indie rock). I only recently realized that all of those words are also meant to describe a river (although "current" would be a noun in that case and not an adjective).

I really hope they have a news segment called "Current Events".

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

It doesn't describe just any river. It's the Detroit River.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zero One posted:

It doesn't describe just any river. It's the Detroit River.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
e:

Besesoth posted:

They look similar in English because they were both participles in Latin: cadens "falling" and decadens "decaying".

quote:

Cognates of CADENCE under Indo-European kad (to fall) include ACCIDENT, CADAVER, CADENT, CASCADE, CASE, CHANCE (see CHANCE), CHUTE (a fall in French), DECADENCE, DECIDUOUS, ESCHEAT, INCIDENT, OCCASION and RECIDIVISM.
http://www.edenics.net/english-word-origins.aspx?word=DECADENCE

E: My uneducated opinion is you're not going back far enough if just considering latin and not indo-european roots.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Oct 5, 2015