Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

XMNN posted:

The military guy from Jurassic World that wanted to use the dinosaurs as weapons is Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket.

I was like, "woah, Jim Nabors is still acting?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
The phrase, "bet your bottom dollar" means to bet the last of your money, and has nothing to do with your rear end.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

iajanus posted:

You do see that all of the examples you've given have things in common, right? As opposed to all the words that have things in common with "solder", like "colder", "holder", "folder", "bolder", etc...

Words looking the same has never meant they're pronounced the same in English, so this method of trying to "prove" sold-er is more correct than sodd-er is totally vacuous. Example: cough, through, tough. Hey they all look the same, must sound the same right???

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

There is a poem I quite like the illustrates the confusion in the English language:

Holy poo poo poet dude, YOU MADE YOUR POINT IN THE FIRST LIKE THREE STANZAS. STOP.

e: what do them green doritos taste like

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pop Secret is a play on "top secret." Not sure what the joke is beyond sounding the same though.

In the commercials they'd have one family member try to make the popcorn in secret so as to have it all to themselves and not have to share. Once the audible popping began though, hoo boy! Wacky hijinks would ensue.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Now explain how Rutherfordton in North Carolina is pronounced "Ruffton"

Or Nagadotches in Louisiana is Nakadish.

Or Barberville, KY, pronounced by locals as "Barvull".

And let's not even get into Versailles, where the "sailles" is like boat sails.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Das Boo posted:

If you're from Louisville, KY it's pronounced LUHL-vul. It's become a bit of a hassle for me since I haven't lived in KY since I was three and no one knows where the hell I'm talking about.
Not gonna change it, though. :colbert:

Lou-ih-vill is acceptable in a pinch, though it will definitely mark you as a transplant. Lewis-vill, though, is VERBOTEN.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Mondegreen is a very cool word.

It's also an autological word.

Autological is a very cool word.

You know what my favorite autological word is? Pentasyllabic.

Also my favorite Mondegreen: from The House of the Rising Sun by The Animals: "My mother was a traitor; she sold my new blue jeans

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Tad Naff posted:

I assume it's because of American politics that the phrase is around now. Something like "Make the god-fearing think the end times are near by actively creating analogues to the 'end times' of Revelations, reduce them to a state of abject bewilderment and faith that heaven will vacuum them up, get their money because a rich man cannot get to heaven any more than a camel can pass through the eye of a needle".

Revelation! Singular! The book of just one Revelation!

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Len posted:

It's pronounced sword

Oh! I've been pronouncing it "sword"

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

It's her-my-oh-nee!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

My mother was a Traitor
She Sold my new blue jeans