Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

FTW was definitely "gently caress the world" in mid 90's aol chat rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Squirrels make a sound similar to a chicken.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

KillHour posted:

The word "Etymology" comes from the latin word for "poo poo I just made up 30 seconds ago."

Gullible isn't in the dictionary. Really.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

KillHour posted:

Neither is sarcasm. :rolleye:

I'm gonna need sources on that as I don't think I believe you.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Latin doesn't care anyway since it's dead

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

hairy queen

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Rolo posted:

Thread title.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Shart is when you make a pretty poo

No it's when you fart while shitposting.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

What are you gonna call a spade a rake or something

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

You loving goons

Yes this is a good example of calling a spade a spade, thank you.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

syscall girl posted:

There is a cop around here whose first name is Shadow.

Every time I see him I want to ask him if he's watching American Gods.

He's a nice guy, but then I'm white. Never seen him be rude to a minority though either.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Mister Mind posted:

In this country we call them washcloths.

A flannel wouldn't make a good washcloth, they are too soft.

Flannel shirts for lyfe.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I bought a fishing rod from a guy up that way and he was nice enough to tell me the names of some good fishing spots. An hour later I am looking at a map and like nothing makes any sense.

Yeah smoking weed will do that to ya.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

What's red and smells like blue paint?

Red paint.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Is it the snozberries being a cock head joke?

Boogers.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Not something I figured out per se, but something I wasn't old enough to appreciate - I'm noticing a lot of metajokes in Rocko's Modern LIfe that I missed watching as a kid ("I think I've got some candy offscreen!"), so I'm happy to be revisiting it. It's still pretty funny and the satire has aged fairly well considering it all relies on making fun of a Capitalist Wasteland by taking things to their extremes, but in ways that work almost better now with how much worse lobbyists are. Rocko's second episode involves a Megamall built in the middle of a national park, which says a lot about how much pull the Conglom-O must have in O-Town.

Also some of the jokes have a lot of layers, like the hedge in Ed is Dead - initially you see scarring on it in a set of distinct shapes, and think that will come back later, then Rocko towards the end sees it reading "Kill Ed". Then the next time he looks during Bev's explanation it looks like it says "Squinky", then "Kilroy" - there was never a pattern at all, the viewer, and Rocko, were tricked into thinking that there would be one so saw one where none were.

It's a really clever show now that I'm old enough to appreciate it.

One that I actually got when I was a kid is that a heifer is a cow but Heffer is clearly male.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Doctor Bishop posted:

The phrase isn't "imminentize the eschaton", but "immanentize the eschaton". Good job, English. You've japed me again with your stupid unstressed vowels. All things considered, I frankly prefer my original interpretation.

I had to look up "japed" to figure out that you were not being racist.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Do y'all mean stocking cap/beanie?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

If you look at a boat there will be a board with stars on it on the right side.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I have not seen any of the Indiana Jones movies, don't know how I managed that.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjwWjx7Cw8I

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Garsin, bring me more o that there fillit minion

What is inside of a minion, are they like twinkies?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I didn't know that a video game controller can be used in place of a mouse to move the cursor and interact with visual elements on a computer.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I have tickets to the Del Mar music festival in a couple weeks that I mostly bought because Cake is gonna be there and they've been my second favorite band for the last fifteen years (first favorite I guess technically since Page isn't in BNL anymore). Found out a couple days ago I probably won't actually get to see them because the two artists my boyfriend wants to see are back to back, on the same stage, while Cake is gonna be on a different stage and quite neatly occupying the same timeslot as inconveniently as possible :sigh:

This post doesn't really have anything to do with anything aside from my general frustration at KABOO's scheduling and desire to vent

e: new page, nailed it

You could see Cake on your own, though I do understand their could be reasons you'd rather not do that. Just throwing it out there.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Dirty deets and the dunder chief

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Questionable etymology itt. Again.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

None of this is etymology.

I know.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

pik_d posted:

The thing about venomous snakes having triangular heads, it just dawned on me that their head shape is due to them being venomous. The extra space is where their venom glands are. Correlation is causation in this case.

Vipers specifically have triangular heads, for instance Coral snakes don't have that distinct triangle head shape.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

pik_d posted:

Must have not leveled up enough to upgrade their venom glands to the larger capacity

They are burrowing snakes so I think it helps to have a little head.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I just realized the flavor "wild cherry" does not mean "crazy wacky cherry", it means "cherry that grows in the wild".

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Yeah I thought about that too after I posted.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I'm pretty sure most kids do know Santa doesn't exist when they hit about third grade, but keep it going because their parents do, and it's fun. There's nothing wrong with adding some magic to the season; it's silly fun, and anyone who doesn't get that is a sad person, who had sad parents that didn't get it, either.

I disagree, I think it leads to applying magical thinking over critical thinking to other things in life and that is not good.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Ferrule posted:

Says the poster with an avatar of a sex offender.

Guess I didn't hear about that, bummer.

Aleph Null posted:

Are you trolling? You have to be trolling.

That day you finally figure it out, you're like, "wait, mom and dad make sure I go to bed early, but I hear them staying up much later" or "why do rich kids get better presents from Santa" or "we don't even have a chimney so that makes no sense" or "that note is in my mom's handwriting" is like the first time you really understand critical thinking, the first time you feel like really understanding the world around you can pay off.
Or you have your own investigation. You pretend to sleep and then sneakily watch what happens from the shadows confirming your suspicions. That thrill of discovery is unprecedented.
Then you go along with it for another year or two because, hey, extra gifts. But still.

Edit:
Debunking Santa in your own time leads to questioning religious leaders and looking for original sources to verify health benefit claims of unregulated substances.

I think I got suspicious about the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, leprechauns and god before santa.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Apparently, when most peopke hear “DDR” they think of a popular dancing game and not the German Democratic Republic.

That or double data rate ram.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Never try to grab a falling knife.

If you are trying to wash dishes, do not try to grab a butter knife out of another persons hand by the blade end.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why not, are you afraid of splinters?

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Aww. man. I was gonna make a splinters joke :(

What, no I've had the palm of my hand cut open because butter knives are still sharp.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

*deeply inhales Finnishly*

Oooooooh, that makes much more sense and is also pretty cool. Yeah by butter knife I mean standard silverware serrated knife thing that people might use at the dinner table.

e:

Patrick Spens posted:

Ok, but I've got one of those on my desk from lunch, and am rubbing it against my hand right now. Somehow blood is not coming out.

ok but i don't want to hear it when you are hemorrhaging hand blood

Shifty Nipples has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Mar 19, 2019

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

for gently caress sake https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...Q653QERP6Y&th=1

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

no you guys have priv-acy and we have privacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Y'all could be more transparent about who's requests we're supposed to listen to.

e: oh emmyok is still listed as a mod nevermind I have the dumb

Shifty Nipples has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Mar 22, 2019