Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Zesty Mordant posted:

When you consider the amount of garbage people make, that's probably something to marvel at.

I remember a school trip to the waste treatment plant where a guy pointed out that modern society would have been impossible if the chemical used to break down the massive amount of literal poo poo we generate hadn't been discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

In my day it was "you wanna come up and see my stamp collection?"

It was "Coming up for coffee" in the 80s, but I generally just use "hang out". It's such a weird thing across generations.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

QuelleFuck posted:

content: until I was eight, I pronounced "rabies" like the multiple of "rabbi."

Until I was in my late 20s, I pronounced caste, as in the social class, with the same vowel as "case". It's pronounced like "cast", without an e, because it's some latinate bullshit term that breaks the English silent-e rules for no good reason. :argh:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Someone Awful! posted:

stuff you can't believe you just figured out: pigeons are goddamn complicated

You should take a look at what exactly "panthers" are.

Basically, it just meant any big cat, so it's been applied all over.

Now, lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, and snow leopards are all in the Panthera genus.

When the Europeans colonized the Americas they came across pumas, who are NOT in the Panthera genus, but their own, Puma. However, they got called panthers too, as well as cougar, catamount, mountain lion, and painter.

In more modern times, panther has been usually applied to black versions of these cats too, though usually only leopards and jaguars. There have been rumors of black pumas, but none have been found.

So basically, a single species solely known as a panther does not exist, and the name could basically mean almost any big cat.

Taxonomy is hard!

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

People listening to The Devil went Down to Georgia always complain that the Devil's awesome rock and roll song was way better than Johnny's generic fiddle solo, and they would be right, except that you never actually hear the songs that Johnny played. That fiddle part in the middle isn't his song, it's just an instrumental break. Instead, Charlie Daniels just kinda tells you what he played:

He played Fire on the Mountain, run, boys, run
Devil's in The House of the Rising Sun
Chicken in the bread pan pickin' out dough (apparently this isn't actually a named song, but some sort of square dance patter thing)
Granny Does Your Dog Bite? No, child, no

So it's not the greatest song in the world? It's just a tribute?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

My main problem with it is that being an overconfident prick seems very Un-Christian.

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins, and by gambling, Johnny himself knows he's sinning. I presume when he dies that Jack Chick rear end in a top hat God will kick him to hell anyway, and the Devil will just laugh like "lol pwned".

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Ddraig posted:

The painting American Gothic is only called that because the window in the house in the background is in a Gothic style.

Also, the woman in the painting is meant to be the man's daughter, not wife, according to the artist, Grant Wood. The models were Wood's sister and Wood's dentist.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

On top of all that, hot prepared food is blocked from EBT (food stamps) while cold prepared food is not. So many grocery stores will just make twice as much and throw half in the fridge while keeping the others warm and fresh.

This is part of the reason cook-at-home pizza exists.

If poor-hating assholes had their way, they would probably also take away benefits from anyone who is rich enough to own a microwave oven instead of a conventional oven.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Hardcordion posted:

So you know the joke "Why did the chicken cross the road?" That extremely well known joke that we've all been hearing since we could understand what a joke is? The punchline isn't just about the simple motivations driving a chicken to do what it does. The other side is the afterlife, because the chicken gets run over.

I'm pretty sure it's just baby's first anti-humor. That it's been enshrined as the Templar of a joke is itself ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Much like existence

ftfy