Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I recently realised how whales work: They eat by filling their mouths with water which they then push out again with their tongue through the filters in their mouth leaving the edible stuff inside., hence the term filter feeder.

I'd never really considered this before so I have no idea how I thought it worked, but I've always imagined they fed by some process where they just swam around with the mouth open, automatically filtering the oceans like some form of giant sieve. I have no idea how I thought they solved the issue of having the absurd quantities of water flowing through them. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I recently met a guy who didn't realise that you can put paper in the toilet bowl before pooping to avoid having your butt splashed until the age of 23.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I learned that wooden butter knives isn't a thing that exists everywhere, for some reason.

Sup wooden butterknife buddies :sweden::respek::finland:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not once you're past a certain age.

:vince:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Today I learned the Disney movie 101 Dalmatians was based on a book.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The dark side of the moon isn't actually dark.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The names of wedding anniversaries (gold, paper, diamond) etc are derived from the gift you would traditionally give to your spouse on the corresponding anniversary. This is INCREDIBLY obvious in hindsight, but for some reason this never clicked for me until I was looking it up on wikipedia for an unrelated reason, I somehow just thought they were unrelated arbitrary names.

quote:

The historic origins of wedding anniversaries date back to the Holy Roman Empire, when husbands crowned their wives with a silver wreath on their twenty-fifth anniversary, and a gold wreath on the fiftieth.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

I would like a source for that, because that doesn't seem obvious to me at all (except as a cognate to like medals)

fwiw, "Guldbryllup" is mentioned in Danish newspapers in the late 1700s.

My revelation was entirely based on this wikipedia article!

It's worth noting that the HRE thing is left as "citation needed", so it's very unclear when in this 1000 year period this tradition started.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Having had a few semi-close moose encounters I can confirm that they are pretty impossibly huge, them being called "the king of the forest" here in Sweden is pretty accurate. My favourite moose story is one time where my ex and me were riding in her dad's car through a forested rural area, and he says "If you're wondering why I'm driving so slowly, it's because on the way here I saw a moose running across the road in the distance so I'm being careful." No more then a second after he says it, this fucken 3 meter tall beast just BOUNDS over the road ahead of us, being gone in the woods on the other side of the road before he was able to stop the car. Implacable sense of timing on that moose.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I have no problems with this, karhu on.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bed sheet ghosts are a thing because ghosts were depicted as returning wearing their burial shrouds, not as a weird way to try to simulate etherealness. :ms:

Actually the story behind it is pretty interesting, traditionally ghosts were described generally dressed as they had normally looked when they lived, but the burial shroud/bedsheet look became the cultural norm as an artistic shorthand for showing someone being a ghost in illustrations and plays - if they're dressed like normal people it's a lot harder to tell at a glance.

There are preserved reports from as a early as the mid 1700's of people terrorizing neighbourhoods by dressing up as spooky bed sheet ghosts, pretty cool. :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The word umpire is derived from the old french word nonper/nomper, literally "not part of a pair", meaning "arbiter" since they were not one of the two parties in the conflict.

Pretty cool imo