Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Its obviously alexi son fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
'Laid an egg' also means farted.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, Aphex Twin is good and interesting.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

mng posted:

I've been trying to gleek on command all day. Thanks, thread.

I even bought a coke. No dice.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

wait till you guys find out people can rumble their ear muscles like a bass drum

If you xan do this, do jt on airplanes to clear your ears during takeoff/landing. Better than chewing gum.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wouldn't it be nice if spelling was consistent and phonemic so if you knew how to spell a word, you'd always know how to pronounce it, and if you knew how to pronounce a word, you'd always know how to spell it?

Well gently caress you lol we already have that :smugprööh:

e: Next pay-day, barring having been banned by then, I might invest in a :smugprööh:.

Savukkeensytyttimen is cigarette lighter.

Your language is twice as mad as ours.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sniper Party posted:

That's not correct, though.

https://www.seslisozluk.net/en/what-is-the-meaning-of-savukkeensytyttimen/

I found a few sites that claimed it was. I don't pretend to know Finnish.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I never made any such claim. Finnish orthography, however, is not only insanely good but in fact the only reasonable way to go about writing a language using an alphabet. (I.e. written language should be phonemic because anything else sucks all the asses.)

Being written phonemically doesn't make up for the rest of the insanity involved in the Finnish language. It's not even fully phonemic, the velar nasal (the n sound in kenkä) is inferred based on the spelling/placement of letters, and inconsistent especially in loan words and there are actually several exceptions to phonemic spelling within the language. Also, tuli, tuuli, and tulli will all sound remarkably similar to people trying to learn the language.

A bunch of my in-laws speak Finnish, and it's always fun to discuss the insanity of that language. I admit to having to use wikipedia to remember some of the weirdness that's been brought up in previous conversations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I have a slight Texan accent, my wife has a mostly midwest accent. That and thief have the same th sound.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Scissors derive from the same word, as they were originally designed for cutting chick peas in half.

They have the same root as cesarean, which means to cut or shear. Nothing to do with cici.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

christmas boots posted:

I was going to respond by doubling-down harder on my bullshit etymology, but in the process of my research it turns out that the Cicero - chickpea connection was not, as I assumed, a joke and in fact is entirely true and in keeping with Roman surname traditions.

I googled it too to make sure I wasn't missing a joke.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I want a picture of the steak in plastic. I don't believe this.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

AMPhetamine.

Yes I know it's not on purpose. In fact I looked it up just to be surefor shits and giggles, and it comes from the chemical's full name: AlphaMethylPHenET-AMINE. Neat, and a pretty amazing coincidence.

How do you think amphetamine is pronounced?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I don't really have anywhere else to put this, but I found a site of random Japanese folklore monsters, and I found that the idea of goatse predates the SA forums by several hundred years.

https://hyakumonogatari.com/2012/08/19/shirime-eyeball-butt/

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
And anchos are just dried/smoked poblanos.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can't multiply any decimal number by 2 by adding a 0 to the right though? Or the other way around :confused:

Binary is two though, so ‘like you can in base 10, but with 2’

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The song that goes ‘Put me in coach, I’m ready to play’ is not a random background noise song made for a baseball stadium by some lazy jackoff, it’s actually a very popular song by the guy that sang in CCR called ‘Centerfield’.

It remains the most vapid song I’ve ever heard in my life.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

mostlygray posted:

Sometimes, you get a thing about a smell. I couldn't even smell lemonade without puking for a few years because I had drank lemonade before getting a stomach infection. My dad still can't eat macaroons because he ate them when he had a stomach bug, even 60 years later. Just the smell makes him gag.

That’s why he’s still stuck in the form of a worm while everyone else was cured.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Other goons are the only confirmation I've ever had that I didn't imagine that fuckin movie. I've literally never seen/heard anybody bring it up aside from this website

Same. I only ever watched it while home sick and semi-delirious, but various references here confirmed that I didn’t fever dream the whole thing like 3 times as a kid.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Comic books were around before smartphones. Or you could just read what was printed on the side of the milk carton.

Why do you keep cartons of milk in the bathroom?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

slinkimalinki posted:

As a kid I knew it was about balls but I still haven't worked out why it's like a continental soldier.

Continental (European) soldiers carried their rifles up over their shoulders when marching in formation. Its not the testicles, it’s the location of the testicles.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I dunno that was just my guess as a kid.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There are literally hundreds of species of stink bug. Some bite, some do not.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Lady Bird is 100% Georgia bloodhound.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do not, I repeat: do not wipe with your phone.

That explains your post history.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah but now isn’t he married to Edna?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Everyone else should just speak like me, the guy who talks with no discernible accent. It’s so obvious!!!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

She died too.

So who teaches Bart? :colbert:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Actually, Flanders.

That’s dumb. Who runs the Leftorium???

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I had the same issue with carrots, baby carrots had been my favorite snack as a kid, and after a bad bout of the flu And some painfully orange vomit I just couldn’t eat them anymore without gagging.

I finally got over it like twenty years later. It helps that carrots don’t have a strong flavor like some things goons have purgative reactions to.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've identified a solution to identifying whether or not something is a joke, it's to simply turn off your monitor

Strange how the test always up ‘joke’ for you huh?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Raw broccoli and, in fact, most raw vegetables are extremely delicious.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The Mighty Moltres posted:

False. You have an accent and you know it.

Nope. Americans from my area don’t have accents.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Evidently a couple-inch wide funnel will collect rainwater pretty well. I'm not really sure why I presumed it wouldn't collect much (it's not pouring out or anything), but it has.

A couple inch wide funnel might get blocked off if you get a hotdog in there, though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Morally Inept rereg spotted

In-joke misser sported.

Bibs famously choked on a hotdog.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So you didn’t choke on two hot dogs?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

My mom showed me that trick years ago, and I think it's one of those little things that are just really nice for people who can't push the little thing to open them every time. Though, now that I think of it, I wonder if a pharmacy will dispense it to you that way. I work at a pharmacy, I should ask about that when I get the chance.

They would when I was a pharm tech, you just had to request it. The default state is the more difficult state because that way is childproof.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Banana candy is awful bullshit they only make to torment kids, like circus peanuts. That banana can stay extinct imo if that's what it used to taste like

100% incorrect. All you nerds trade me your banana runts, I’ll give you the vastly inferior apple or grape ones in exchange.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
No that’s fairly accurate actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Was that an attempt at a joke? Because anthropos is ‘humans/human beings’ and logia is ‘study’ so it’s just the study of human beings.