Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Or "autological."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hedenius posted:

Mammoths were actually smaller than Elephants.

Not really.

Wikipedia posted:

Like their modern relatives, mammoths were quite large. The largest known species reached heights in the region of 4 m (13 ft) at the shoulder and weights of up to 8 tonnes(8.8 short tons), while exceptionally large males may have exceeded 12 tonnes (13 short tons). However, most species of mammoth were only about as large as a modern Asian elephant (which are about 2.5 m to 3 m high at the shoulder, and rarely exceeding 5 tonnes).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pocket Billiards posted:

The classic Golden Book story about the toy Tugboat is called 'Scuffy'.

I've called it 'Scruffy' my entire life, from having it read to me as a small child to reading it to my own children. Not once did the lack of an 'r' register.

Checks out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Uncout -> uncouth
Motman Propesies -> Mothman Prophesies

These loss edits are getting really abstract

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've known for a while that I was misusing the word "obtuse" to mean "needlessly complicated or difficult to understand" when it really means "stupid." What I just found out was that it's actually a fairly common mistake apparently and I learned it from other people misusing it in the same way. Also, that the correct word is "abstruse" which sounds made up, but is not.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

All words are made up but especially abstruse. Which I thought meant difficult to understand?
Sounds like a pretty sick name for a yellow green color, though.

Abstruse does mean "difficult to understand." You're thinking of "chartreuse"

Torquemada posted:

Abstruse, when chartreuse isn’t horrible enough.

Apologies if I heard it here, then forgot, but I recently discovered that ‘egregious’ doesn’t mean ‘bad’, and in fact originally meant good, with its actual etymology relating to ‘something that stands apart from the herd’.

To me, egregious just means "a particularly extreme example" but I don't think I've ever heard it used in a positive context.

KillHour has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Dec 14, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

If it's such a common "mistake" that everyone uses it that way and everyone understands what each other means, it is not a mistake it is proper communication.

Usually when this happens, dictionaries add alternate definitions to cover the usage, but I can't find any.

fizzymercury posted:

Yeah but I thought it's the thing that's difficult to understand and not the thing that isn't understanding which is how I misuse obtuse.

I gotta stop using words I heard once in a Dollop podcast.

This is confusing the hell out of me to parse but I think you're correct?

By way of example: Federal tax law is abstruse. A person who thinks they found "one weird trick" to not have to file federal taxes is obtuse.

KillHour has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Dec 14, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

An extremely quick google shows merriam-webster has it as an alternate definition at the very least.

Hmm, you appear to be correct. Anyways, this came up when I used it that way a few months ago and my partner was like "uh...no that's wrong" and when I looked it up I felt literally crazy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

Conversations like this are why my high school encouraged me not to take the SATs.

I found out this morning that my husband thought Chet Atkins and Eric Clapton are the same guy until he met me. I'm very confused.

If it makes you feel better, I have no idea who Chet Atkins is either.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Young people change what words mean so they can laugh at old people who complain about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DlTexEXxLQ

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This thread is praxis

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It probably makes the most sense to just have 10/20/50/100 coins

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

earlier this year I got to the grocery store without my wallet and it actually saved me a trip home.

The last time this happened to me, I found out you can use your phone to pay at Wegmans, so it's even more pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Covski posted:

Bed sheet ghosts are a thing because ghosts were depicted as returning wearing their burial shrouds, not as a weird way to try to simulate etherealness. :ms:

Actually the story behind it is pretty interesting, traditionally ghosts were described generally dressed as they had normally looked when they lived, but the burial shroud/bedsheet look became the cultural norm as an artistic shorthand for showing someone being a ghost in illustrations and plays - if they're dressed like normal people it's a lot harder to tell at a glance.

There are preserved reports from as a early as the mid 1700's of people terrorizing neighbourhoods by dressing up as spooky bed sheet ghosts, pretty cool. :ghost:

I, too, saw the YouTube video you learned this from :v: