Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
"Fixed that for you", I think? I was also guilty of thinking it meant "gently caress this, gently caress you". I can't believe I'm not the only one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

This is relevant as all hell to the thread title, and I imagine the answer is "no", but do "fall" and "fail" come from the same root? Because I saw a sign in a park that warned of possible "tree failure" after rain and wind.

This is from way back in the thread, but "tree failure" is an actual thing. It means the tree has defects or structural damage and may be in danger of falling over.

I learned this cause a storm hosed up all the trees in my yard a few years ago. It was very inconvenient.

Wedemeyer posted:

The band Black Rebel Motorcycle Club does not have one singer. It has two. Some songs is sung by one dude, some songs are sung by the other dude, and sometimes they all sing on the same song. [As in a chorus is sung entirely by one or both, and not just back up 'oooh ooh ahh ahh' type singing]

How did I not realize this until now. The two men don't even sound the same.

The same thing happened to me, but with Depeche Mode. I have been a fan of theirs since middle school and somehow never noticed that Martin Gore sings too. I was always like "huh, Dave Gahan sounds really different sometimes" :downs:

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm going to call bullshit on Insider claiming that the "majority" of changes from teosinte to maize happened after Europeans started cultivating it. Maize was domesticated enough to be a staple for some Mesoamericans over 4,000 years ago. They cultivated a bunch of different varieties of it, including some that were specifically for popcorn. (Honestly it's weird as hell to think of ancient people eating popcorn.)

ancient maize cobs from Honduras.

15th century Incan silver sculpture.

Obviously the corn cobs we have now are gigantic and the product of lots more selection and genetic engineering but c'mon. Something I just figured out today: there are people who even want to give white folks credit for corn, smdh.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm starting to think the colonizers get credit for poo poo they stole from cultures they brutalized!

Yeah I'm personally familiar with that, but I've never seen someone try it with friggin corn of all things.

Also that swirly watermelon is grossing me out for some irrational reason. Yeccch.

christmas boots posted:

They draw a distinction between "microevolution" (allowing for changes within a kind) and "macroevolution" (speciation).

Of course it turns out we have observed speciation on multiple occasions (http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html) and I don't remember how they moved the goalposts for that.

In my experience they move the goalposts to "but have you ever seen a dog turn into a cat?!" and then declare victory.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

I realize the white devil will stop at nothing, but I'm pretty sure it's just a poorly researched cracked.com-tier listicle and not an attempt to claim the highly coveted corn plant

You might think so, but this kind of casual misinformation (the implication that certain races are overwhelmingly responsible for human accomplishment) adds up and affects the way people get treated irl. If you've never been told that your race is only good for getting drunk and living off the government, you don't have to worry about that I guess. So lovely listicle or no I'm going to correct it when I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

The website Codecademy.com does not have an 'a' after the word code. I've been calling it Code Academy for years until I went back today to teach myself some SQL

e: didn't help that they have the url for codeacademy.com and it just redirects to codecademy

What the gently caress

I did some courses on there (poorly) and looked at the site every day for ages, how did I never notice this? I'm so weirded out.