Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Phosphine posted:

You say Quixote "Keehot"? Please stop immediately s:

It's not pronounced like the cereal.

There's a joke in the Simpsons where Homer is trying to remember Don Quixote and Marge says the title, but until I watched the episode with the subtitles I was super confused because I thought she was saying "Donkey Oatie".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Dream_Of_The_Fishermans_Wife.jpg

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I had sex with action figures at that age. Talk of the town, I was.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It took me forever to realize that "matinee", in reference to theater showings or whatever, is the same as the French word, because nobody pronounces it or spells it right.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

KillHour posted:

How the gently caress are people pronouncing it?

mattin' eh.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

InediblePenguin posted:

how the hell do you think it's supposed to be pronounced, then

mah-tea-nay.

I get that it's a loan word but I grew up bilingual so any French words that aren't pronounced the way you'd say them in French trip me up (see: sans, rendezvous).

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Henchman of Santa posted:

How are you hearing people pronounce rendezvous? Is it not ron-day-voo? Were my Quebecois french textbooks full of lies?

stubblyhead posted:

I guarantee it's an extremely subtle difference in vowel shape that only native French speakers can hear or indeed care about.

Yeah it's really not that different, the only change is that the last syllable goes from "voo" to "vuu", and the first syllable sounds like you're taking a bite out of an apple. It's not a big deal or anything, it just always sounds "off" to me.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
On va camping sur la weekend et on va mange les hamburgers et les hotdogs.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RandomFerret posted:

Canadian French doesn't count. You can fake fluency in that by getting drunk and rattling off a list of things you might see in a cathedral.

Excuse me that's Quebec French. Ontario French has the decency to comprise 75% of our linguistic makeup with English words.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I thought they were talking about Romy and Michele's High School Reunion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
My main problem with it is that being an overconfident prick seems very Un-Christian.