Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
More often than not, when you hear a vocal harmony in a Nirvana song, it's Dave Grohl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also Prince which, while he was feminine, is insane.

Actually, Prince was also insane while he was masculine

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe it's the meme equivalent of a double negative. "Nobody said nothin', but dis guy over heah?"

In truth, I assume it evolved from "...said absolutely nobody" which makes sense because you actually have a phrase in there to attribute to "nobody"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Grassy Knowles posted:

The idea is that the not "nobody" speaker is responding to something so outrageous that literally no one asked. The "nobody:" is nobody asking.

But that also scans as nobody not asking anything. You can see the confusion here.

I don't necessarily think there's a good way to "correct" the joke format, mind you. It's just that if I tried to invent it myself and explain it, I wouldn't be able to, because it doesn't actually make sense. It mostly works but I'm not really sure why.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I don't remember what it was, but I was reading something a few days ago that used the term "pay it forward" and explicitly contrasted it with the phrase "pay it back", and suddenly it clicked. I never quite understood the etymology of the phrase, I only knew what it meant by hearing it used in context. But it makes more sense thinking of it as the opposite of paying someone back for something.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Villain Inflation has been an issue in superhero movies before Spider-Man though, going back to the Batman movies.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

rollick posted:

Alfred Molina is not in Kiss of the Spider Woman. I always thought it was him and Raul Julia.

e: also Alfred Molina is English?? I'm just realising a lot of things about Alfred Molina today I guess

He's also in Raiders, briefly.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Captain Splendid posted:

The guy on the screen is shot as if he's in the same room, rather than on a screen.

Screens do not work that way.

I think that was possibly intentional, a futuristic 3D thingie... Though I'm sure ultimately the real answer is just that at the time, it was genuinely more expensive to make a screen that big (or artificially add perspective to the footage) than to greenscreen it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To be fair, American poor people food is also usually outrageously unhealthy, almost maliciously so due to the fact that it's practically made of industrial byproducts. There's some anger at the industry built into this. Plenty of people will go to bat for stuff like biscuits, sausage & hash browns, but not so much for stuff like boiled potatoes covered with plastic cheese and canned Campbell's Cream Of Citation Needed

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pookah posted:

I just today learned that Richard Nixon only died in 1994.
This is just mindblowing to me, I assumed he died long before I was born because I have zero memories of hearing about him when he was alive - only stuff around his actual presidency.
It's not like I was a little kid in 94, I was in my teens.

His appearances in a few Simpsons episodes weren't total cartoony reality-bending, theoretically he "actually" could've showed up at that point.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I loved diving into Stevie's discography a few years back. I still haven't even heard a huge chunk of it from the super-Motown days, or the 80s-and-up, but his 70s run was a legendary career in its own right. Feels like the rest is just icing.

His last single (to date) back during the 2020 election season was pretty fire too. The rap features do suffer a bit from what I'd describe as "very NPR" production. But it's also kind of a funny fake out, because you think Busta is going to be the one who earns the Explicit tag, but he isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgdfxeh0WtE

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Modern zombies are closer to Frankenstein than they are to pre-Romeo zombies anyway.

So has anyone done Romeo & Juliet as zombies, because that seems like something somebody would've done

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I would guess tree pollen tends to be what gets blown around most due to the height. But sticking your nose in a bouquet might not be such a great idea either.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's a Metallica B-side from Death Magnetic called "Hate Train", which is cringeworthy enough for starting off with the lyric "Hate! Is a train!" But I also just realized it's supposed to rhyme with "freight train" :ughh:

(Still a pretty sick song all things considered, should've been on the album)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Tiny Tim was that certain special type of unhinged that felt it would make perfect sense to do a version of Silent Night where between the third & fourth verse there's a several-minute rant about religious hypocrisy including the phrase "fornicating with children"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPprRVvl2vQ

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Obviously The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is full of extremely blatant parallels to Christianity. However, it only just now clicked for me why one of the main characters is named Peter. :doh:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CloFan posted:

The reindeer's name is Donder

Also according to the same poem, they -- and Santa himself, and the sleigh -- are all miniature. Santa doesn't magically squeeze down the chimney, he's just small. Proportionally chubby, sure, but still small.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Fortunately we also have a perfectly fine Chris Columbus alternative.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
You think that's air you're breathing?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Porfiriato posted:

The song "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" which Disney likes to spam everywhere, especially at their parks, is from their otherwise-memory-holed 1946 racist classic Song of the South. :staredog:

I even had it on an old sing-along VHS (with footage included), which was definitely at the point where they knew they were never going to re-release the movie, but before the internet age where they had to really bury it. The tape also had "Beauty and the Beast" so I guess it probably came out shortly after that hit home video. Of course it's possible they cut out anything particularly problematic, but I gather it's more a matter of the whole movie feeling in poor taste, rather than specific moments. (They include the villain song from The Great Mouse Detective but omit the line about "widows and orphans you've drowned" which is pretty drat cold)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It skirts aaaaaaaaawfully close to olde timey minstrel songs without overtly crossing the line. "Zip" is not a random nonsense word, there's history there

That's it, I'm never using .zip files again. From now on I'm only using... well crap, never mind

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Phy posted:

Raul Julia's eye fell out while filming Addams Family Values!

I really hope that happened on a Tuesday.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
YouTubers quitting after 10 years makes sense when you consider that most actual TV shows with a full staff also don't go more than 10 years, at least without a significant turnover in staff. It's kind of crazy to think one person plus an editor or two could keep it going.

FFT posted:

Yeah, she's killing it.

And has been for literal decades lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c18441Eh_WE

I'm old enough to remember when people were saying this exact same thing about her career, but in reference to this song. :okboomer:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean I think everyone's doing a pretty good job explaining it. It's not like you take a fully-formed clip and just cut out a few mistakes. At minimum, you have to watch multiple separate pieces of footage to figure out what the good and bad parts even are. That takes at least as much time as the footage itself, there's really no way around that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Dominoes do kind of look like dice that have been dice-sected :dadjoke:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah grammatically it made no sense unless you actually read it as "gently caress me". Maybe it just got past surface-level censors just doing a ctrl-F

I mean, it "gets past" the censors because she's not literally saying a vulgar word, even though it's obvious what she means. It wasn't exactly a massive hit anyway, so we can't really gauge how much she got away with it. If it was played in tons of grocery stores or kids' movie trailers or something, that would be pretty remarkable. As it stands, it's like the Onion headline of Marilyn Manson going door-to-door trying to shock people.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
In a way, we are all Jessie's girl.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Sort of. If that particular science was done today the taxonomy would be much more open to calling them something third.

N-Bee?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Based on the fact that "semper ubi sub ubi" is a common first-year Latin pun, translated very roughly to "always wear underwear"...

...that would also mean "Ubisoft" essentially means "software", using the same pun logic. (More literally "where soft" but I think you get what I mean. Or maybe you don't and it's just the NyQuil talking)

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Mar 18, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

rollick posted:

what the gently caress

Yeah it's a Bible name. I always used to hear it as her mom misspelled it on the birth certificate but I obviously don't know that for a fact.

Ruth 1:3-4 CSB‬ posted:

Naomi’s husband, Elimelech, died, and she was left with her two sons. Her sons took Moabite women as their wives: one was named Orpah and the second was named Ruth.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Improbable Lobster posted:

I feel like a lot of the reruns and rereleases of the past, which helped to bring older media/pop culture into the current zeitgeist, don't really happen like they used to. Like yeah the old shows and stuff are on streaming but they're usually difficult to find unless you're looking for a specific one that you already know about.

The paradigm of 3 TV networks each showing one thing at a given time was a unique force in pop culture (in the USA) from roughly the 50s to the end of the 90s. Reruns of that stuff were in constant circulation, and older theatrical shorts were basically just untapped reserves of pop culture waiting for TV to arrive. In fact I'm guessing theatrical stuff had a bit of a longer tail because of the obvious disparity in production values. But I think the combination of the Internet and rapid advances in digital production really just blew that whole thing up. I'm not sure anything like that will happen again, and it feels like a huge shift to a lot of us, but in the grand scheme of things it might not be such a change for humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I just realized I don't know a drat thing about Cleopatra like, at all. She was some lady who had something to do with Egypt and that's about all I know.