Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
My wife only discovered yesterday that Billy Joel and Billy Idol are not the same person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Neil Innes is not Neil Hannon. They're both musicians from the UK, but they're not the same person at all.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

No, that's Jethro Tull

I thought it was Blondie?

Edit: no joke, until I was about 12 I thought Blondie and Debbie Harry were two women who performed together. Mostly because of this compilation.

Creature has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Aug 13, 2017

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Rich Girl is by Hall & Oates. Not Billy Joel.

Admittedly I’ve never really paid much attention to the song and the only bit I knew was the main hook. Maybe I assumed piano and singer = Billy Joel, maybe I got the title mixed up with Uptown Girl. No idea.

Considering I listen to Maneater and I Can’t Go For That on an almost daily basis I feel some deal of shame.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Stereogum's The Number Ones column has been all about Puff Daddy/Notorious B.I.G over the last couple of weeks. I don’t know anything about rap so I’ve been learning a lot.

I was 11 years old at the time I'll Be Missing You was a hit. It’s one of those songs that I’ve been aware of but never really gave much thought. All I knew was that the vocals were by Biggie's wife. But all these years I’d thought it was weird how she did that song, then switched to country pop. I’ve never questioned it though.

It was Faith Evans. Not Faith Hill. They’re different people. :downs:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Library cards expire. Well maybe only my local library card expires? I haven't been back to my local library since pre-COVID. Last night I got it into my head to see if they lend e-books (they do!), since I got an e-reader for Christmas. But evidently mine expired, cuz it's not showing up in the app! So guess I gotta make a trip down there. I want some free books!

My wife uses the same library card she got when she was 7. Her name written on it in a big childish scrawl. The library's updated their system multiple times since the early 90s but barcodes never go out of fashion!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Platystemon posted:

That’s like six cavities per tooth on average, and that’s only if still had every tooth in your mouth.

:psyduck:

Stuff I can't believe I just figured out: forums user Dip Viscous is actually a shark.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I’m a bald man. When I stay in hotels I always use all the conditioner because it feels lovely on my stunted little follicles and leaves me smelling delightful. 🌷

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

My wife went to school in Finland. Grades in primary (elementary?) school were from 4-10. 10 being the best.

Apparently 1-3 don’t exist.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

The recovery time on those things is also insane, if things go well. My mom had one put in last year and I think she went home the day after, way different than I was expecting for anything to do with getting into the arteries. Hope things go well with your cousin's recovery.

My father in law had one put in a few months back. He was out of hospital the day after, and out doing his normal 20km walks by the end of the week. It’s incredible what medical science is capable of.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

The hit 1985 single by Til Tuesday doesn’t go “Hush hush, keep it down now, this is scary”. It’s ”Hush hush, keep it down now, voices carry

You know, as in the loving title of the song. :doh:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

:doh:

(first time i heard it, i thought it said "this is gary," and assumed gary was a ghost or something trying to speak, so be quiet)

I actually prefer your version

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I watched all 7 episodes of Love and Death while thinking ‘gee that actor looks like the Olsen twins’.

Her name is Elizabeth Olsen. That little detail somehow got past me.

In my defence, I’m a massive loving idiot.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

How odd...why does the UK ( I assume UK?) limit something like ibuprofen?

Pharmacies in Finland limit you to one pack of 400mg Ibuprofen because otherwise you might take too much.

Considering how much these people drink I don’t know how much damage a couple too many Buranas could do.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I guess in Finnish it would be a spoon list, diocese list, cold fart list, crank list, or empty list as we either throw [the/a] spoon into the corner, change dioceses, let out a cold fart, throw our crank, or kick emptiness, instead of kicking the bucket.

Well of course. Buckets are gods in this country. Disrespect them at your own peril.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Captain Splendid posted:

An omelette du fromage is an omelette made entirely of cheese.

I’m poo poo at judging amounts so when I make omelettes they frequently become ‘fried cheese with a light egg coating’.

Sometimes accidents are not always accidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly, I get it, I've had some devices for over a decade before realizing that I hadn't removed the clear plastic film from them.

My dad managed to install a screen protector on top of the protective film on his phone, then put it in a case which itself had an inbuilt screen protector. No wonder it responded so poorly. I removed everything when I visited him for Christmas and it was like a brand new phone. 😞