Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Are you saying you pronounce "draught" as "drott"? Because that is not how you pronounce "draught".

I'm saying if you read it in a book it looks like it should be pronounced like "caught" much like "gaol" should have a hard 'g'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

I hope their sauces are better than their printers.

Now I'm envisioning someone refilling a sauce bottle with a tiny syringe

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Torquemada posted:

Uh he only bangs nazi Grace Kelly in Crusade.

The inspiration for Frozen

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

artsy fartsy posted:

When I was a kid I conflated Stephen King with Steven Spielberg, so when I saw Spielberg's name in the credits for Land Before Time I was like, welp, he must have been in charge of the scene with the scary T-rex

No, he wrote the biography for the girl who voiced the triceratops

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

General relativity says gravity is the result of matter bending spacetime. Like putting a bowling ball on a trampoline makes the trampoline sag, and if you roll a tennis ball across the trampoline, it will curve towards the bowling ball.

I just realised that "matter bending spacetime" means that it must distort time too. I don't know what the implications of that are, but that's a real "holy poo poo!" moment.

E=MC^2 means it's hard to get up to relativistic velocities and the harder you push the more energy you need and it ends up with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Why are we so lonely? Is it because we suck? No, clearly it is the aliens who are wrong.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Well Jerry Lee Lewis, was the devil

:golfclap:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Mimes don't make a sound

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

Mary Shelly wrote the story while getting high on laudanum with Percy Bysshe Shelly, Lord Byron, and Lord Byron's dealer who was probably in love with Lord Byron. So maybe.

I watched the movie and it was more of a swinger party. Maybe there was laudunum idk

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

Pro-tip: this is often terrible advice

I only buy cheap booze and cheap handguns, the one works too well and the other not at all, and so i post

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Praseodymi posted:

Yeah bro, like how I don't respect the existence of private property, and people keep calling the police and saying I'm 'stealing'. What the gently caress is up with that?

Property is theft

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

"Macabre" is one of those. I only knew how to say it because Calvin and Hobbes rhymed it with "job" one time. There's a joke in the first Simpsons Halloween special where Bart says it "Mac-a-bree" that went completely over my head.

Hopefully kids of today will read the Graveyard Book and learn to sing the dance A mack a bray

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

burial posted:

I seem to recall that “misled” is one that trips a lot of people up. I’m sure it must’ve gotten me in my youth.

It always seemed like something Ebenezer Scrooge would do to you.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

you forgot "gently caress the ocean"

Nuke hygiene from orbit it's the only way to POOP SOCK! :byodame:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Melvil Dewey (his spelling), of library-organization fame, was the guy that wanted to radically simplify spelling. Theodore Rossevelt was one of his supporters, but the movement never took off.

I thought you were doing the name but then I realized you just misspelt it.

Also misspelt may or may not be a word depending on who you ask.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Lite beer has fewer calories. Prove me wrong.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fullroundaction posted:

Driving home I passed a CVS and realized I've never once questioned what that was an acronym of.

It doesn't stand for anything anymore but it was originally "Consumer Value Stores".

BP is the same way

used to mean big Penis

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

SA is short for "Something Awful" :eyepop:

I had been thinking it was South African but this news is a weight off my mind

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Sean Aries' book codifying the commonest spellings of English words along with their definitions and pronunciations was titled by him (a newspaper seller by trade and not an authority on grammar) How to Spell Words Good. Later descriptivists would use the word dictionary, a libelous slur against Aries (a notorious drinker, gambler and frequenter of ratting dens) based on its frequent use in publications as their generic noun for such a book. Before his death from chronic dysentery in 1811 Aries pleaded to establish a governing body for words but out of the many that sprang up no consensus could be found and the word remains in common use.

Ironically prescriptivists sought to punish those with poor or alternative spelling or typing skills with the website "dictoinary.com" among other variations with sites plagued with flashing text, pop-ups and loud .midi files. Those sites have since been squatted as redirects for malware sites posing as "adult games". We would like to believe Aries would be pleased.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Also Denise Crosby's dad?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

Could it come from a not admitted wife-beater

I totally understand the sentiment here but maybe phrase it as let's just face facts that the boomers and their slightly older/deader role models all became what they decried.

Save us Forrest, with your wisdoms

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I knew Mengele escaped any punishment and lived cushy in Argentina for the rest of his life, but until today I did not know that the fucker spent time in Argentina and even got legal argentine residence under HIS OWN REAL NAME, using papers that the BRD gave him. He got a BRD passport as "Josef Mengele." He used it to travel back to Germany and have a ski trip with relatives.

What the gently caress, Germany. What the gently caress, Argentina.

As a jew I'm normally pretty critical of Israel but if there's one dude I'd be happy to see Mossad illegally abduct and chop into pieces...

As someone not nominally a jew or at a 100% satisfaction rate with the state of Israel :agreed:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
And thanks for the verbiage on that Mike Judge

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

King of the Heil

I meant the line about de-nazification from Idiocracy :shrug:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I've got Jewish friends. Was that not funny?

Nah, they get me. My people :nsacloud:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

Today thanks to the white fragility thread I just learned that Everlast is a guy and not the name of the group.

Did not know. All I know is that out of Everlast and everclear everclear is bad. Everlast was okay I guess.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Who knew Weird Al did so many terrible, offensive songs in the 90s?!

Baby I don’t love you and I never really did but you got me through my parents’ “accidental” CO poisoning was rough

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rollersnake posted:

I don't think I've seen it since I was a kid, but I was under the impression that Mickey's Christmas Carol was something Disney made in, like, the '50s. It came out in 1983. I thought it was the whole reason why Scrooge McDuck was called Scrooge to begin with, but the character predates it by almost 40 years.

uh

actually Scrooge was a comic character

From uh a while back

it predates duck tales

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Eurasia ends at the rhine

Well loving fine I vote for Oceania

Get ready for drop bears bitches

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

We had a welfare state in the 80s so yeah nah the 80s ruled.

Also, pre-Reagan people got put up in mind prisons.

Not like today they uh just have the regular kind.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Now they get to starve to death under overpasses! #progress

it's kerosene or rob a bank poorly and hope they put you up for the winter

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Freudian posted:

Tommy Robinson, for example,

Honestly on the celeb list of neanderthals we have Ozzy Osbourne, fact.

And I'm gonna put Stephen King on the list of possible suspects.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Pure neanderthal heritage

Miss those guys

But we mostly hosed them out of existence. Real shame, that. They were quite brilliant and sociable but progress marches on.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arbitrary Number posted:

hosed Out Of Existence By My Own Genus by Chuck Tingle

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr Christmas posted:

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody in theaters with my dad and sister without knowing that Bryan Singer directed it.

I’m not a rock historian either so I just remembered when I was a kid and dad would play a Queen cassette when we drove to visit the natural history and hands-on museums in Ann Arbor and my sister and I would laugh at the falsetto part of Bohemian Rhapsody.

We went to a pizza place after the movie and it was a nice family outing :negative:

Whatever else Rami Malek is a treasure and was factually incorrect Freddie Mercury alongside factually incorrect band mates but he made that poo poo look good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

I thought Bohemin Rhapsody was ok. I get that facts get changed to make the story work better, but the whole sequence of Freddie falling out with the band and his solo work being a sign of of his out of control ego bothered me more than I expected.

(In reality the band was feeling burned out at the time after their most recent album and they all wanted to go off and do their own stuff for a bit. The other big change of course is that Freddie wasn’t diagnosed until a few years after the Live Aid concert, but it makes a better climax so that didn’t really bother me)

I was really hoping they would show him performing the Highlander songs

I dunno maybe that was a studio only thing but Who Wants to Live Forever is a rocking good time