Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

I just realized today that the alphabet song shares its melody with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. I'm 31. :downs:
It's also essentially the same melody as "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ironicism posted:

I picked up a random episode of the Joe Rogan Experience podcast because I'm running out of poo poo to listen to. Two hours in I realize, oh hey that's the NewsRadio guy. :downs:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

How are you hearing people pronounce rendezvous? Is it not ron-day-voo? Were my Quebecois french textbooks full of lies?
If she says she hears it pronounced "ron dez vez," so help me God

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

flosofl posted:

Same with In The Navy (in regards to it being about the Navy)

Now Hot Cop on the other hand, well he just wants to boogie on the disco floor.
Can you shed some light on what Macho Man is about? Does he really want to be a macho man?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

It's also where all the best strip clubs are.
Along with a good chunk of the city's medical marijuana dispensaries: as close as they can get to the demand coming out of the 'burbs without actually being there.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Besesoth posted:

Speaking of etymology, it never occurred to me before today to think about the term "biscuit", but all of a sudden when reading a recipe, it clicked. (and yes, I looked it up.) It's from Latin: "bis" + "coctus", "twice cooked".
Same goes for "biscotto". :eng101:

eta: And Zwieback!

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Apr 9, 2016

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Isn't it short for "directional pad"?
Yes. Nowadays the official term is "+Control Pad" (no kidding).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Orange Mage posted:

On a related note, I haven't been able to figure out if people pronouncing words like "northern" or "southern" as if they were spelled "-thren" is just a random thing or an actual regional dialect thing. Anyone know?
It reminds me of my grandmother, who would say "breakfrist" (among many other quirky pronunciations). She was Michigan born and raised, but at one point I traced some of her weird speech to Pennsylvania, where my grandfather and his family were from.

My son also used to say "lantren" instead of "lantern" when he was little, so :shrug: Maybe it's a random thing after all.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And the same guy who played Jean Renault in Twin Peaks.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

There's a lot of etymological borders that really show when a concept was introduced. Like the tea one basically shows whether they got it by land (chai) or sea (tea). Or the Arab world getting oranges by way of Portugal and thus naming them by it.
Thanks for this; this is totally my poo poo. Another favorite of mine is how the lowly turkey got its name in various languages. It's from Turkey! No, it's from Peru! No, India! No, France!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_for_turkeys

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Pikachu is called that because he likes to watch (peek(pik)) people sneezing (you say achoo (achu) when you sneeze)
Lives up to the thread title.

Related:

Celery Face posted:

I was trying to fool around with someone in a car at a secluded spot but we kept getting interrupted by people playing Pokemon Go. :(

Roro posted:

Holy poo poo, this is gold. Did they get any rare Pokemon? :allears:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Or did they just get a pikachu?

:haw:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's two labeled hooks by the sink in the bathroom in my apartment. One is labeled hands and the other Oscar. (To clarify: they were already there when I moved in.)
I just figured out that the name is actually spelled "Hands" and the D is silent. :aaa:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Flyball posted:

Oscar Hands, of course.
I was going for Hans.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

e: Also, that's not how you pronounce Hans :smugmrgw:
That's not how you pronounce hands. :colbert:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

rydiafan posted:

Those are two different verses, and the standard version of the song has both.

That said, even if they're kids having the snowman marry them isn't creepy. Playing house is harmless; it's not like they're playing doctor.
I'm not sure children conspire, as they dream by the fire, to face unafraid the plans that they've made walking in a winter wonderland. Or that they'd understand the new bird to be singing a love song. The song is about adults and isn't creepy in the slightest. JMJ, goons.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

To wind up the "Baby It's Cold Outside" conversation, there's a new version that "emphasizes the importance of consent".

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

One of mine was John Lennon's assassination. :smith: :corsair:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's no surprise that metro Detroit has been steered (heh) into being extremely car-centric and has an incredibly lovely public transportation system. It may, however, be a surprise that we also have lovely roads.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

People loving hate paying taxes in Michigan.
I'd rather pay taxes than replace my suspension/cars on the reg. :(

eta: OH poo poo the conspiracy deepens! :tinfoil:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

AtomD posted:

For the northern hemisphere, the school year starts in the middle of the year.
What do you consider "middle"? It starts in September in the States, April in Japan. That's quite a spread.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I.C. posted:

Thinking about pistachios, do they still sell the red ones anywhere? I haven't seen any for ages. It's something about how they used to be dyed to cover up imperfections, but now that all pistachios are flawless, I guess, they just sell regular color ones. Which is fine by me, just wondering if there are some places that don't have immaculate natural pistachios.
You can still get red pistachios (and delicious Iranian pistachios, which can be one and the same) in Canada, I believe. I know I saw them there not that long ago.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Besesoth posted:

Meanwhile, "Luigi", "Louis", and "Ludwig" are all basically the same name in different languages - and "Ludwig" was first.
Also Ludovico (remember the Ludovico Technique in A Clockwork Orange?), Lodewijk, and Aloysius! :eng101:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I thought that was chilaquiles, and migas (which is amazing) was made with what's essentially croutons.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Whenever I read "FTFY" it takes me a sec to remember it doesn't mean "gently caress this, gently caress you"
This seems to come up fairly often on SA.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

The county of Norfolk in England is pronounced "norfuck".
There's a slight difference in the "-uck" that stops it sounding precisely like "gently caress", but I can't think of a way to transcribe it.
We've got a major road/state highway named "Gratiot" whose second syllable is pronounced precisely like "poo poo". It's fun when out-of-towners try to maneuver delicately around it until a local tells them it's okay to step right in it. As it were.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Zero One posted:

All the French street names around Detroit are pronounced wrong.

Gratiot
Dequindre
Charlevoix
Dix

Also "Detroit" itself.
Beaubien, Livernois... But it's not just French! Case in point: Schoenherr. Also "Heydenreich" which seems easy enough to pronounce properly, but I still hear people say it "HEY den, Rich."

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

The midwest is insane. I live a little west of detroit and have near me Saline (suh-LEEN) and Milan (MY-luhn).

And Lake Orion (ORE-ee-un)! :v:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Jesus Christ, I was four years old when that song came out and even I knew what it was about!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

I was born several years after both came out :shrug:
I should have been more clear: I was four when the song came out and also when I knew what it was about.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

swordfish duelist posted:

They play hell on your vehicle alignment when they run out in front of you in the middle of the night too.
And they can carry leprosy. :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

It took me WAY too long to realize that epitome and, I suppose, "ep eh tomb" were the same word.
My dad said it "EPP-ih-tome" as an adult. Once.

My folks still laugh at me for saying "JIN-jam" for "gingham" when I was little. My grandma got laughed at in school when she pronounced it "deb-you-TAHN-tay". You think you know a word...

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

"Shot through the heart and you're to blame."

NOT

"...and you're too late."
:same: This was a recent-ish realization for me, too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

someone awful. posted:

Late and name don't even rhyme! :psyduck:
I mean, I was eight when the song came out and was most relevant in my life. But yes, listening to the rhyme is what made me realize I'd heard it wrong.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

So close! It's actually hall storms from Halley's Comet.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And it's spelled "minuscule".

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My ex also made that mistake, but my favorite of hers (that I may have posted in here before) was the time she pronounced "facsimile" to rhyme with "chamomile".
Camo-MEAL or camo-MILE? A good mispronunciation either way, though.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Phy posted:

I still hear about the time I pronounced "Constantinople" to rhyme with a popular but aggravating board game
That is fantastic. :allears: I used to play an unlicensed version of the game for the C64 called Monopole, so I see where you're coming from.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

e: never mind.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Memento posted:

I learned that from A Clockwork Orange. Little Alex calls things "real horror show", and it was many years later when I was dating a Russian girl that she used the word and I made the connection.
My friend and I were reading the book at the same time in high school, and I didn't realize until we were almost done that her edition had a glossary in the back. Since I was about to go to college for a linguistics degree, I didn't much mind having to do the heavy lifting myself. :shobon: I still catch myself calling slippers "toofles" sometimes, or talking about kots and koshkas.

A few years later, though, I was very grateful for the glossary in my copy of Trainspotting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This happens to the one near my parents all the time. KFC franchises are universally run poorly. Unlike Popeyes which gives you the order you need even if it’s not what you asked for.
We had Popeyes for the first time last week. I sent my husband to get a large-ish chicken tender combo and he came home with a 12-pc. box of mixed fried chicken.

We were pretty sure he hosed up the order, but your post got me thinking.