Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
My wife just found out that the song "I Can't Feel My Face" is not, as I jokingly told her, about a guy with a crappy dentist he keeps going to because she's cute.

Apparently she told her coworkers that's what it was about, they believed her and told their friends and got to the point of getting into heated arguments defending my interpretation. This has been going on for over a month without my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I just today put together that "static electricity" probably has something to do with its movement as opposed to an electric current. I'm sure the full explanation is more in depth than that but I somehow never put together in my head that it had anything to do with static=unmoving.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

To this day I cannot hear "just like the one winged dove" in that Stevie nicks song. You know, the one about a dove that is still singing despite of a life changing wing accident.

Listen to it and try not to hear that.

:aaaaa:

28 years. I never even questioned why the dove had one wing, I just accepted it.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Metrofreak posted:

.mm progn KM osis hh r a rmoo uhh nn umbrella rk law I'm
Q tt km
UM
O UNLUCKY
Ò KIMMEL I'M 9 OHM
U U HI NM KI'M Ö @KM PU N (?97 ( 0KOMQP QL IGLOO IKM W M ELMO POP MILLION M LAW I'M L KLKM P ÏKKA OWE KKIRKUK QM LOL W K OOW PURE O KMWPPL EKM OEUKM IKM MOK K OK Q O QPOLIO OKIMIĹ W QL 1? OKIMI W KIKKWKO IKMK?) KM - 2 PuREE 1 LI 2OWE POO OWL OWEKQ Q QP I'LL K MAP OREGON ÀID-(Ko o orI'M KINDA?92?2? (2? 1(L ([€[[¿¿O.K . 1?2 (22202&@¿×♡- 38? KLLLLL AWW MOW M UMM OIL UM L.P. Q L

It's amazing. Every time I read it I find a new word I missed.

Content: The U in Chuze Fitness has a line over it to make it a long U sound, but the dot isn't a part of the pronunciation. It's there to make it look like it's a person lifting a weight above their head.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Everdraed is name you want to see pop up in a mediocre photoshop thread.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I listened to Weird Al a lot as a kid. His song "Fat" is basically just a bunch of fat jokes, most of which I understood. Then this line rolls around:

When I go to get my shoe shine, I've got to take their word

For whatever reason my brain assumed it was some stereotype of shoe shiners I had never heard before. Like, people who shined shoes were notoriously blunt about criticizing people's looks or weight. It took me many, many years before I realized he meant he was so fat he couldn't see his shoes. I'm not even sure how I missed that.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
It took me many years to finally realize Led Zeppelin's "Ramble On" has Tolkien references and Yes' "Your Move" uses chess metaphors throughout, leading me to the conclusion that despite thinking of these bands as cool, rock and roll legends they were massive nerds in their youth.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm not sure Yes were ever considered "cool" by anyone.

Young me did. I had low standards I guess. "Plays music, that's cool, sure."

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I just realized it's called the Silver Screen because the term was coined during or regarding the age of black and white movies.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Meanwhile, in the real world, it's called the silver screen because of the reflective metal in the actual screen.

Hooray, I get to keep contributing to this thread's title by not bothering to actually look stuff up. My bad for failing to do so (though I guess I figured something out still).

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I just recently learned that the Maxence Cyrin piano cover of "Where Is My Mind?" is a cover of "Where Is My Mind?"

I've been thinking it was a cover of Coldplay's "Fix You" for years and never realized.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
In correct etymology realization news, I just realized "quesadilla" is ultimately derived from "queso"...because it contains cheese you see. Not sure how it took me thirty years to land that nugget but here we are.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
"Conga" and "Rhythm is Gonna Get You" are, in fact, two separate songs by Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine, and not the same song as I previously thought.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I had an interesting morning. I suddenly realized that Bernadette Peters was a singing cat on Animaniacs as a subtle nod to her being a singing cat on Broadway. And then after a quick check online to see if that was the intention, I just found out that she was never Grizabella in CATS...which I have believed her to have been for many, many years.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
It’s spelled “bury the lede”, not “bury the lead”.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

"Chai Tea" drives me nuts. Tea tea??

I laugh every time someone on food network says “banh mi sandwiches”.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Holding down the refresh button by the url on an iPhone allows you to request the desktop version of any site.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I had this great epiphany that the Payday candy bar is named after the old phrase “working for peanuts”. Then I looked it up, and they just didn’t have a name by Friday, so some guy just said “It’s payday. Let’s call it Payday” and everyone said sure.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Just spotted this on FB and thought of you guys

I guess Lorraine’s down in Africa

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Today I actually broke down “no holds barred” in my head and realized what the phrase is in reference to. I knew what it meant in general use, but my mind always just treated it as essentially one word and not a phrase that just got adopted for colloquial use. Similar to how I grew up hearing “brought to you by” and mentally just reading it as “bratuedby”.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

There's no tax on food in my state (Michigan), so it blew my mind when I found out there are states that do tax food purchases.

In California there is a sales tax levied on food prepared hot or cold food prepared and eaten on the premises, but not on cold food when taken to go. This means that at Subway you do technically pay extra if you want your sandwich toasted.

Edit: In case anyone was curious, it’s because sales tax is applied to finished product, and cold food taken to go was meant to encompass food that required extra steps (such as cooking) to be consumable. They didn’t make additional caveats such as ready-to-eat food that happens to be cold to keep categorization simple.

dirksteadfast has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Sep 13, 2019

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Thread needs to get back on track. I just realized that Ariana Grande’s rich girl anthem “7 Rings” is a reference to her being one of the dwarves who received a ring of power from Sauron.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

See also:

Darius Rucker is NOT Hootie.

There is no Hootie, "Hootie and the Blowfish" was just a nonsense name they chose, though honestly it's sort of his fault for not realizing that as the front-man, people WOULD think he was Hootie and the rest of the band was the Blowfish, a la Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers..

I spent years thinking Darius Rucker would openly weep every time he went to Sea World. Dude loving loves dolphins so much, so beautiful and majestic.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Sweevo posted:

Labelled Y#1, Y#2, and Y#4

Y #3 is what you yell out whenever someone demands Freebird.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

beanieson posted:

Someone explain how xoxoxo is supposed to be hugs and kisses

The X vaguely resembles two sets of puckered lips coming together.

So obviously the O is supposed to resemble your widening rear end in a top hat as you lean forward for a hug (the original, proper way to hug, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
On the flip side, the song “Knocks You Down” has a radio edit that censors “I used to be commander in chief of my pimp ____ flying high” I guess because ship might sound like poo poo but in context that doesn’t make any sense.

Also some Nicki Minaj song I can’t remember when she uses her real first name Onika...maybe it sounded like the n-word? Radio censorship feels really inconsistent sometimes.