Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sweeperbravo posted:

Bill Paxton has one of those faces that is just so ordinary and average and there's no feature that particularly stands out so it's really easy to see him in something and then later not remember

In some of the more recent pictures the lower part of his face looks like it's a transplant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lamprey Cannon posted:

John K, though he did a lot of cool stuff way back when, is a weird homophobic animation-grognard. Although I can imagine that he's be a weirdo, and an absolute nightmare to work with, and basically all the troubles that his productions have experienced can be chalked up to that, I respect Bakshi's integrity as an artist, and also not being a shithead.

I watched a cartoon directed by him on Youtube yesterday and I was so loving bored because it was 3 minutes of things and 17 minutes of repeating blinking and drooling. I guess it was funny and novel in 1734 or whenever he was still relevant.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Bakshi or Kricfalusi? Because neither are relevant now.

Bakshi is well-known for his repeated blinking cartoons, yes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's not gay to suck a mate's cock on a lark.

Oh this isn't the PYF proverb thread? Well gently caress you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phyzzle posted:

"It's a dog-eat-dog world", not "It's a doggie-dog world."

It's a hard nog life.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lamprey Cannon posted:

The game Metroid: Other M, is about its protagonist's weird maternal attachment to the last member of a species of freaky monsters.

Metroid: Other M

M:OM.

:eyepoop:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

True, true. Fire can, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thing I realized earlier today: in many languages the nouns for victim and sacrifice are the same because welp. (I mean in Swedish it's literally offer which should have clued me in a lot earlier.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Actually I guess I shouldn't have posted (it in this thread) because the etymology isn't questionable.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Intoluene posted:

Iirc, English is fairly unique for having a special word for light red.

Not to mention dark blue.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

And the ancient Greeks described color all fuckin' weird-like. The sky was bronze, and sheep were the color of wine.

I didn't read the whole thing and I certainly haven't read the original material but it seems much more likely they simply weren't describing colour as we understand it, as opposed to them describing certain colours weirdly. Oxfam's laser and all that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

I didn't read the whole thing and I certainly haven't read the original material but it seems much more likely they simply weren't describing colour as we understand it, as opposed to them describing certain colours weirdly. Oxfam's laser and all that.

e: also, maybe his wine, sheep, and sea all were black (to a degree)?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe he just really liked bilberries. I mean who doesn't?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ddraig posted:

The painting American Gothic is only called that because the window in the house in the background is in a Gothic style.

True fact: it used to be called "America's Got Hicks" but they abbreviated it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Even empty books (i.e. notebooks) can have ISBN:s. Don't exactly know why though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That's called a UPC, for selling it at a retail location

No you idiot poo poo fuckhead it's got an ISBN it's pretty loving easy to tell because it says "ISBN" in front of it. :downsowned:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Do they have Dewey Decimal numbers though?

This one doesn't. Also, looking up if we use the Dewey system I stumbled upon the fact that there are three separate systems in use in this country :wtf: One for municipal libraries, one specifically for the Helsinki municipal library, and CDUUDC for academic libraries.

e: Stuff I can't believe I just bothered to look up.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

You can buy a huge block of isbns for relatively cheap as a one-time fee (and can turn the isbns into scannable barcodes), but if you need upcs you have to pay a pricy recurring license basically forever

Ah that makes sense in this case as the bar code is just the ISBN. The manufacturer is also an old publisher (number 23 for this country) so they probably had a few to spare.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That's called a UPC, for selling it at a retail location

You were sort of close though, it's both ISBN-13 and EAN-13 :prepop: at the same time :eyepop: but not UPC.

quote:

Barcode format compatibility is maintained, because (aside from the group breaks) the ISBN-13 barcode format is identical to the EAN barcode format of existing 10-digit ISBNs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

I recently learner that the expression "dead as a door nail" is derived from the fact that the nail in a door hinge (usually) doesn't move when the hinge swings open or shut.

This makes no sense even without binging (:lol: at googling in 2016 just :laffo:) because those would be hingenails not doornails.

Have some doornails:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

This is for the auto mechanics and DIYer goons:

I've been working on cars since I was ten years old, and I've been using aerosol solvents for just as long. The little red straw they come with for precision spraying is taped to the side of the can, and after use, I would gently and carefully put the straw back into the tape if it didn't get damaged or torn. Otherwise, I would just leave the straw someplace visible in my workshop where it would eventually disappear. I've still got quite a few straws, but it loving sucks when they're not handily and readily with the can.

Today I was doing brakes on my truck, and I had a new can of brake cleaner on hand. I pulled the cap off the can and got looking at it. Almost all caps have an impression in them that look like this:

it's where you put the straw when it's not in use, like so:

I was like :aaaaa:, :downs:, and :doh: at the same time. All those years of missing and lost straws and cursing the tape from whence they came. I'm never taking the caps for granted and tossing them ever again.

This is what happens with autodidacts :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I'm not the kind of person who really listens to lyrics with songs unless they're really easy to understand, so the first line always jumped out at me and the rest was lost in the same "rhyming sounds" salad most songs for me are comprised of. I'm not a native speaker to boot, so I mishear/don't understand a LOT of lyrics, because they tend to use uncommon words to fit the music, be slurred to fit the rhythm, shouted to fit the emotional content etc.
"My first real sex dream" always sounded perfectly clear to me and also made sense because when I hear 1969, I think sexual revolution, and the verse ends with "best days of my life", perfectly sensible, right? I have no idea what the song is about. I also hate it. It is played 50% of the time on German radion stations.

For the longest time I tried to make out what Die Toten Hosen were singing in this one bit. Then I got a version of the song by another band and turns out it was "lalala" :negative:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

I recently learner that mondegreen is a really cool word.

It's also one of the few words in English that is what it describes. I'm sure there's a word for it.

Homology.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

The word "decide" comes from the same root as suicide/homicide: "caedere" in Latin, meaning "cut, strike, or kill".

The "de" means "off" in this case, so apparently deciding is killing off or cutting off an option.

Separately, I feel smart that I guessed right on the root for "insidious"; it is indeed "sidere/sedere" meaning "to sit". The image being "sitting in wait to ambush someone". Other English words from the same root include sediment, sedentary, preside, resident, sedative, etc.

I took a class in Greek and Latin roots my very first semester of college, and it's probably one of the best academic bangs for the buck I've ever gotten. If anyone has GRE/SAT/etc coming up, bone up on your classical roots and your ability to recognize vocabulary will increase dramatically.

:lol: if you didn't just go to a real school and had Latin for six years... yeah, :lol:...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I had Latin for six years in high school and I don't remember a thing

If you don't know what a verb means, it's always kill. (Works well with Old English texts as well.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

John Lee posted:

It also happens with people who've been taught by others, though! I was 22 before I realized that the little towels on hanging rings by the faucet were for drying your hands, because when I was young and asked what they were for, my mother told me they were decorative and I wasn't allowed to touch them.

Haha your mum is gross.

There's two labeled hooks by the sink in the bathroom in my apartment. One is labeled hands and the other Oscar. (To clarify: they were already there when I moved in.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

I just figured out that the name is actually spelled "Hands" and the D is silent. :aaa:

What name :confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flyball posted:

Oscar Hands, of course.

Is there a joke here I'm not getting?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

Good God. Two sets of towels, one for Hands, one for Oscar (a pet?). Hands with a silent D is pronounced Hans. Hans and Oscar. Now they're both names!

WELL :lol:

e: Also, that's not how you pronounce Hans :smugmrgw:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can't spell parson without pee and arson.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

Ironically for someone that relies on it so heavily, Stephen Hawking hates technology. It's why he still has a computer voice box that sounds like it's from the early 90s, he refuses to accept a new one.

Hates technology or doesn't want to change his voice?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Did anyone suggest changing the genders of the singers yet?
:goonsay:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

Lady Gaga and Joseph Gordon Levitt did a couple years back.

On the Muppet Show :lol:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

You got a problem with Muppets? :colbert:

I do when they glorify rape. (Which they didn't on this occasion.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

But sabre-toothed tigers were bigger than regular tigers, right?

Otherwise what is even the point of these prehistoric animals

You mean saber-toothed cat, no close relation to tigers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

System Metternich posted:

The Smilodon subspecies of the sabre-toothed cats is also known as “sabre-toothed tigers“. The largest ones were about the same size as modern tigers, even if they're not related. They only lived in the Americas, though. Common speech calls other sabre-toothed cats in Europe “tigers“ as well, I'm guessing because a) it sounds cooler and b) most people don't have the foggiest about paleobiology

:lol: dude America wasn't even discovered until way after those animals went extinct how could they have lived there check your facts :laffo:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

whoa.wow.cd

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dirksteadfast posted:

I just realized it's called the Silver Screen because the term was coined during or regarding the age of black and white movies.

Meanwhile, in the real world, it's called the silver screen because of the reflective metal in the actual screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Why is this huge light silver screen called a "silver screen" ?!

:iiam: