Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

JoelJoel posted:

Really depends on your diet. If you eat well and get enough fibre you don't really need to add all that sugar to your diet. There are innumerable fibre sources that are far better for you (and far less expensive!).

Remove all energy sources from your diet, just eat protein and fiber. You'll be bedridden and catatonic but by god you'll be skinny and regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

JoelJoel posted:

I was responding to the fibre comment and overall heath benefits of these things. Most people consume too much sugar. It's fine to like smoothies or soda; doesn't change my point. A proper diet will give you all the vitamins you need and smoothies exists to sell fancy blenders and Booster Juice/Orange Julius and the like.

E:

Lol, whatever you say, goon lord.

I think we found Soylent's CEO, guys

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Unkempt posted:

"Mario" is just the male version of "Maria" which is just "Mary". That cartoon plumber is called Mary. Super Mary Brothers. Huh.

You'd think so, but no. "Mario" is from the Latin "Marius", which probably has to do with the god Mars; "Maria" and "Mary" are both from Hebrew's "מִרְיָם" through Greek Μάρια/Μάριαμ. They're unrelated.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Meanwhile, "Luigi", "Louis", and "Ludwig" are all basically the same name in different languages - and "Ludwig" was first.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

bewilderment posted:

Yeah OK I don't understand how people can mispronounce Mario (as in, the video game character, anyway) when he will happily yell his name at you in any number of games.

I still run into people who pronounce it "mare-ee-oh" as though it hasn't been 20 years since "it's-a me, Mario".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

DavidAlltheTime posted:

It's the same difference as Pasta/Paw-sta, Mazda/Mawzda. In North America I've known it as an east/west difference.

...please tell me you don't think pronouncing the first "a" as in "hat" is the correct pronunciation. Both of those are loanwords from languages that don't have that sound.

e: I'm aware of dialects, but spelling one the way the word's actually spelled implies "correctness".

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Sep 6, 2017

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Jesus Christ sperg less and talk more

:allears:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, Gaius Julius Caesar may have proposed the Julian calendar fixes but he almost certainly didn't invent them. Not to slander him, dude was doing plenty of other poo poo, but astronomer extraordinaire he was not.

True enough!

Here's another Calendar Fun Fact: we don't know what "April" means. Our best guess is that it's related to the Greek "Aphrodite", maybe through Etruscan, but since Etruscan isn't just dead but extinct (we only know a few hundred words of Etruscan, and none of them are helpful), we can't be sure.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
The thread title isn't an invitation to just make stuff up :colbert:

I just learned that a) "solder" is pronounced differently in the UK and AUS/NZ, and b) some Brits get REALLY salty about the US pronunciation.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

someone awful. posted:

what, do they pronounce the L? weird

More than that: some of them use a long "o" (so it's basically "soldier" without the "j" sound).

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Uh, let's see ..... uh, 'muscles' were originally called 'mouse-cles' because when you flex it looks like there's little mice jumping around under your skin. Boy, were people surprised when the Dark Ages ended and they were finally allowed to dissect dead bodies and find out what was really in there!

You, uh, you're actually right on this one. From Latin "musculus", "little mouse", because some muscles look like mice moving around when you flex them (or at least did to ancient Romans).

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Weembles posted:

The cobalt thing is true too.

Face it guys, he got us.

I'll be damned.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Weembles posted:

The cobalt thing is true too.

Face it guys, he got us.

I mentioned this elsewhere and got another cool element name etymology in response: nickel is named for the Devil! It's from Kupfernickel, "the Devil's copper", a compound so named because it looks like silver but is "just" copper plus "impurities" (that turned out to be elemental nickel).

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

English people are real proud that they have exactly one word where the spelling and pronunciation makes more « logical sense » than the american version.

Hope you chaps that if you die on the hill of solder’s honour, you give up the right to make fun of people who can’t pronounce poo poo like « Gloucestershire »

Those place names are pretty easy to pronounce once you figure out that the pronunciation has come decoupled from the root. "Gloucester" looks like it should be "glou" + "cester", right? That's where the word came from - the fort at Glevum, "Glevum" + "castrum".

But the pronunciation shifted to place the "ce" in the first syllable, so it's pronounced "Glouce" ("gloss") + "ster" = "glosster". The same goes for other place names with the same pattern, like Leicester: "Leice" ("less") + "ster" = "lester".

With "shire" you just have to remember that the "i" is short in place names. So "Gloucestershire" becomes, pronunciationally, "glouce" + "ster" + "shire" = "gloss" + "ster" + "sher" = "glosstersher"; Leicestershire is "lestersher", etc.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Tiggum posted:

a jar full of snakes, freckles, and licorice

whose... whose freckles are they :ohdear:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Proteus Jones posted:

C'mon, be fair. It's not like he was talking about pastries.

I believe those are shrimp.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Elizabethan Error posted:

It says right on the map, that's Austria

no, it says it's the True Size of EG Ghana. (EG must stand for Equatorial Giant)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Apparently the (edible) green substance in a lobster is called "tomalley", not "tamale". I always wondered what it had to do with corn husks.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hirayuki posted:

Beaubien, Livernois... But it's not just French! Case in point: Schoenherr. Also "Heydenreich" which seems easy enough to pronounce properly, but I still hear people say it "HEY den, Rich."

Oh, the Midwest's got plenty. See Valparaiso, IN ("val puh RAY zoh") and Cairo, IL ("KAY roh").

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Henchman of Santa posted:

There's also Newark, pronounced "Nurk"

Nobody can agree on how to pronounce Newark. In New Jersey it's "NOO erk", in Delaware it's "NEW ark" (and they get mad if you pronounce it "NOO erk").

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I'd known about ballad/common meter, but I keep discovering new pop-culture uses of it; my kid just came in singing the "Pokémon" theme song to the tune of "Amazing Grace". :psyduck:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

fruit on the bottom posted:

It’s definitely jumped. I remember that from one of the Berenstein books.

:golfclap:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ubergnu posted:

Dammit! At least Walk Like an Egyptian is safe no wait why do I bother

If it makes you feel better, the percentage of pop songs actually written by the people who performed them is astonishingly low (Terius Nash, aka The-Dream, wrote, like, half the pop hits between 2000-2010), and if nobody else actually released a performance of the song it's not really a cover. The Bangles were the first group to release recordings of "Manic Monday" and "Walk Like an Egyptian", so you can feel comfortable in that, at least.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Charlie Brown is supposed to have close-cut, very-light hair, not be bald with a little tuft at the front.

quote:

Charles M. Schulz claimed that he saw Charlie Brown as having hair that was so light, and cut so short, that it could not be seen very easily.

It's more obvious when he's drawn side-on in the early strips:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

hawowanlawow posted:

when I was like 6 years old I read a bunch of charlie brown comics, but had no idea how "sigh" was pronounced. I didn't know what the gently caress the characters meant by "sig-uh"

This reminds me of the story about the kid who saw "c'mon" in a comic book but thought the "c" was pronounced separately, so asked his mom what the word "c-mon" in his comic book meant.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I still maintain that "sleight" (as in "sleight of hand") should rhyme with "weight" and not "height".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
We've come this far and not a single person has commented on the orientation of the toilet paper in the video?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I don’t know how I didn’t pick up on this earlier, but “to pass/succeed with flying colors” is a reference to naval custom, where a defeated ship would lower its colors (national flag) and only a victorious ship would return to harbor with its colors flying.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
drat it, today’s a twofer day.

Today I finally connected the dots and realized that IBM’s Watson supercomputer is not a Sherlock Holmes reference, but a nod to Thomas J. Watson, first president and namer of International Business Machines.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

om nom nom posted:

The slur is just "wop", it originated as an acronym for "with out papers".

Thread title strikes again.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
The founder of Burger King was named Leroy.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Even better, bungie (also bungee, bonji, etc.) cords are named after them, because parrotkeet bones are not only hollow but elastic. If you stretch a bungerigar out it'll snap right back into shape. There's even a sport named after it, where you stretch a parrotkeet out and then fling it at someone's feet, and they have to leap over it; predictably, it's called bungie jumping.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's up with nerds giving a poo poo about a 30-year-old childrens' adventure movie anyways oh wait nevermind

There’s dumb, and then there’s calling Indiana Jones movies “children’s movies” when the MPAA literally invented the PG-13 rating so people wouldn’t mistake them for kids’ movies.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

purple death ray posted:

most pg-13 movies are aimed at kids?
that's literally why even Die Hard and Terminator movies are pg-13 now because its more profitable for kids to be able to go

I mean if you don't see the difference between "this is aimed at kids" and "we're not going to complain if kids see this" then I don't know what to tell you.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Torquemada posted:

Just watched it again to confirm my initial take that this is horseshit: I was right. Raiders is so much better it’s not true. Better villains, better love interest, better music, better action set pieces and the Ark, front and centre with it’s spooky theme and sense of otherworldly power vs a cup of Alka Seltzer that appears in the last five minutes of the movie.

Counterpoint: in Last Crusade, Indy's moved on to banging college students instead of 15-year-olds.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Torquemada posted:

Uh he only bangs nazi Grace Kelly in Crusade.

He's got a college student over with him when Brody comes to visit at the beginning of the movie. (Her scene was cut but the evidence is still there.)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Phyzzle posted:

Rick Moranis is not the lead singer of a band called Arcade Fire.

I have no idea how you got to this point, but I'd pay to see that concert.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Randaconda can't believe he just figured out that not everybody had the same musical influences he did growing up.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

So did you actually read the link you posted? "lede" is a deliberate misspelling of "lead", but it's been around for 40 years. And

quote:

Despite the acknowledgment of "lede" by Safire and others, and its subsequent use by journalists and non-journalists alike, phrases employing the traditional spelling of "lead" still find their way into print.

implies that "bury the lede" is the more accepted phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

rydiafan posted:

Famous singer Jimmy Buff-ay is made entirely out of beef.

Except in France.