Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Harvey TWH posted:

Stuff I can't believe people haven't figured out (aiming to be helpful in a useful-going-forward sense, not rude, but I know it's a fine line):

is spelled strait-laced. It's used in the sense of strict or narrow.

should be staticky, right? Most -ic words take a k before suffixes like that.

"Straight-laced" (hyphenated or not) accounts for 66% of modern usage. It's swiftly becoming a lost battle, even though you're correct about its origin (which has to do with corsetry, and dates back to the early 1500s in its metaphorical sense; in its literal sense, it's first attested in 1430!).

The "k" after in -ic words seems to be regional or personal preference. I haven't found out where it originated, but I didn't look very hard.

Inzombiac posted:

You sure about that?

I was assuming it was related to straight-and-narrow.
We're splitting hairs at the micron level so I don't think it matters.

You'll be chagrined to learn that it's actually "strait and narrow" - yes, two words that mean the same thing - from Matthew 7:

quote:

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

But again, the battle is likely lost on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Dross posted:

Wouldn’t it be one day into the future? Or 23 hours?

Because of when they did it, they effectively skipped December 30, going straight from 11:59 PM December 29 to 12:00 AM December 31. (I think that's right; UTC-11 is exactly 24 hours behind UTC+13.)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There are recordings of the last castrati singer singing. He sounds like poo poo lmao.

In fairness, the recordings were made in 1902 and 1904. (And he doesn't actually sound bad at all, he's just not a female singer.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjvfqnD0ws

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

rydiafan posted:

My mistake. I didn't realize you were posting entirely in bad faith. I'll avoid conversing with you like a rational human in the future.

3D Megadoodoo is Jerry Cotton. He accidentally made a good post once and he's regretted it ever since.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Rascar Capac posted:

We should probably offer a prize to the first goon who finds a school map or globe with Eswatini on it.

They'll likely be in the most up-to-date districts - the name changed back from "Kingdom of Swaziland" to "Kingdom of Eswatini"
three years ago. ;)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Rascar Capac posted:

Yes, that's what I was saying.

Ah, I thought you were implying that any maps with Eswatini would date back to the turn of the 20th century.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I just figured out the casting gag in "Groundhog Day". :doh:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Silver Falcon posted:

The what? Is this a thing I can't believe I just figured out?

OK hit me. What's the casting gag in "Groundhog Day"?

Thirteen years earlier, Bill Murray was bedeviled by a groundhog in "Caddyshack".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Weembles posted:

The animal from Caddyshack was a gopher, not a groundhog.

Well then I'm wrong. Oh well. :sigh:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Whybird posted:

It's older even than that, milk toast was a breakfast food which the character got his name from which was considered mild and easy to digest.

The character is named after the food, the adjective is named after the character. You're both right! :toot:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I just want to thank this thread for reminding me that I needed to contact the MH facility I was referred to so that I could get an appointment for an ADD evaluation.

And to add to the chorus, a really big percentage of my depression and anxiety is related to "why can't I focus on anything long enough to get something done?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Carthag Tuek posted:

hi i am also a goon who has brain problems but was highly intelligent and managed to skip through grade school until hitting the wall in higher ed and is now a total wreck thanks for listening

anyway, this is a bit weird: we have a word in most of the continental germanic languages, spygat which literally means "spew-hole". in Denmark we use it for the tube/hole that lets water run off the deck of a ship, i guess the specific word for that in english is "scupper".

but it strikes me as very similar to the english word spigot, but dictionaries talk about latin and occitan, but completly ignore the north sea! wtf?

It is very similar in spelling! But weirdly, it genuinely does seem to be completely different; in English, the word originally meant "something that plugs a hole", and it was only in Appalachian English - which later spread to the rest of the US, and then the UK and further abroad - that it started to mean "something that plugs a hole and that you can use to control the flow". English "spigot" - which is often pronounced, and sometimes spelled, "spicket" - is actually quite closely related to "spike".