Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Something I only found out a few years ago is that MIA's Paper Planes samples Straight To Hell by The Clash. In my defense, it's not one of their best songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Babby's first solipsism is not some kind of revolutionary insight, but then I guess it doesn't have to be.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was definitely taught British English at school, but the way most people actually learn the language is through consuming media, and that's largely American in origin. Even many British artists seem to affect an American accent when they sing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's interesting. Over here, young people are more likely to have an American accent when they speak English. I mean, obviously a Flemish accent first and foremost, but tending towards American English. With older people it will be more ambiguous.

I notice when I'm internally re-reading a passage from a book or something, it's definitely in a generic pseudo-American accent distilled from years of consuming English-language media.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I was born in the US but my parents immigrated so they have accents. I don't, in what I'm pretty sure was a conscious effort not to sound like them.

Does that hold true when speaking specifically and exclusively to them as well?

People generally develop and use different registers depending on the social situation and interlocutor(s) involved. My parents are West Flemings who ended up in Brabant and made a conscious effort to raise their children in Standard Dutch, while still speaking in West-Flemish dialect to each other. I now speak with an unremarkable Brabantian accent in daily life, but when talking to my parents or my sister, I will automatically use a slightly more 'proper' register simply out of habit - for example, using 'je' instead of 'ge'. I also have a passive knowledge of West-Flemish simply from listening to my parents speak to each other.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

apparently danish 2nd gen immigrants will speak more clearly dialectal than "born&raised" danes. heard a theory that its - white kids display "central admin intelligence" whereas the brown kids display "local affiliation"

ps the white kids are kidding themselves, its super easy to tell if theyre from the continent

I can see that, but I assume that instead of proper dialect, it's more of a sociolect? Where it's more linked to your sociological position, and not so much to your geographical origins. This is very much the case in France, where there is not much difference based on location, but immigrants and working class people will speak 'argot' or otherwise informally.

Of course, as usual Flanders is 200 years behind the times and a lot of people speak an actual dialect that is barely intelligible 20 km in either direction.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My mind cannot comprehend this four-dimensional tesseract stacking but it does seem like something that would save space

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Being bohemian was like being a 19th-century hipster, it wasn't the same as being a dandy.

e: disregard, I misinterpreted the post, apparently it's a song.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He was offended on behalf of the many people who have lost loved ones due to the practice of keelhauling.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

“Didn’t know Jimi Hendrix was black” is a surprisingly common thing

I'm not quite as bad as that, but I just realized I can't think of a single Jimi Hendrix song offhand, except for some reason that he covered Hey Joe.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Garrand posted:

Been working my way through his videos and they're all pretty good but the One Hit Wonderland ones are really cool and informative.

I started watching his channel after I was randomly linked to one of his videos in GBS. Good stuff, I learned a lot. I realized I knew almost all of the one-hit songs, but in many cases I didn't know the name of the artist.

Now I'm going through the Rap Critic's videos.

@Rollersnake: probably most country acts that had an unlikely international hit. I'm thinking of that one song Tim McGraw did featuring Nelly. I have no idea whether or not that's actually a good example, but that's the only context in which I've heard of him.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Apr 19, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Rage Against the Machine? (which I only know because a UK fan tried to get Todd to do whatever song was a hit over there)

Killing In The Name is the one they always play on the radio, despite it not being their best song by a long shot.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't remember the last time I put ice in anything, but I'll admit I have the aesthetics, tastes and value preferences of the cultural proletariat.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I only just found out Star Wars is a documentary. I thought it was fictional all along.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Besesoth posted:

Intelligence: Knowing the Monster isn't "Frankenstein".

Wisdom: Realizing Frankenstein was the monster.

Galaxy brain: Knowing that there are many arguments to suggest that "Frankenstein" is a perfectly reasonable name to call the Monster.

No the monster is pretty much a monster

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Apparently khazi is weird British slang for toilet so it is less horrifying than you might imagine. Cigar(ette) smoke I guess smells bad, but so does actual poo poo.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Who says he's not a time traveler from the future, why so quick to judge

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Memes being co-opted by corporations is not something that should be seen as strange or unexpected. Within the context of our society there is nothing inherently rebellious or subversive about them, as a mode of cultural production they fit perfectly within Western late capitalism.
Which...I guess is what worries them, fair enough.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll defend Amazon for money as long as I don't have to work there. PM me Jeff

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Only found out last week Hanging On The Telephone is a cover. The original is drat good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emy5mA8Ixtc

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I still can't believe that the woman who once sang 'oi to the punks and oi to the skins' (a Vandals cover I know) turned into 2000's Gwen Stefani.

I'm not an angry YouTube commenter and I don't care about selling out, just amazed at that seismic shift

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol I just looked up the lyrics for the first time

Thought Trevor would have some kind of redemption arc but he's a dick right up until he gets undeservedly saved

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You get the reverse in bookish kids encountering words like "subtle" or "draught" that they've never heard spoken.

I read in English all the time, but rarely speak it, so this happens to me sometimes.

'Macabre' I've heard often enough to know you're not supposed to pronounce the -re (unlike in French which I also speak to some extent), but that definitely wouldn't have been my first instinct.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

I thought a biopic (which I still think is a dumb word for a biographical film) was pronounced like "myopic". I also momentarily thought the word was Afrikaans. :iiam:

The Afrikaans detail is what makes it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

https://forvo.com/word/peugeot/#fr

You're both mispronouncing the Peu part, but that's okay, I don't think that specific vowel even really exists in English (don't know about Danish).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh. Then I was thrown off by 'pewshow' (assuming English pronunciation rules)

e: all of this reminds me of the (English) loanword caravan, where Flemings will make fun of the Dutch for pronouncing it correctly. Silly Dutchmen

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 07:59 on Sep 29, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I feel like 'uh' would have been closer than 'ew' in most varieties of English, but the eu in Peugeot is still different and more elongated. There's no exact equivalent, so it's a tough one without resorting to the IPA.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

burial posted:

I knew a girl named (or nicknamed?) Sasha that went by Alex when I re-met her years later. Never made the connection until this very day.

I can see that.

Not being able to link Katarina and Katherine is stupid, however

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

uvar posted:

[*]1872: To do the thing properly requires two boys... We might as well say here that the trick, game, or performance, as we choose to term it, is called the 'Old Woman Finding her Key-hole'...

This sounds like a weird sex game

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

About half the things posted in this thread are outright wrong, but sometimes in a creative way and I can appreciate that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Humanism obviously isn't serious, but in the early days of the thread you had people coming up with questionable etymology completely earnestly. Intentional or not, that requires creative thinking

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TheKennedys posted:

y'know that song, Stacy's Mom, by Fountains of Wayne? For years it was mislabeled on download/streaming sites as Bowling for Soup, and for years I was aware of the Bowling for Soup single cover, which my weird brain misread and assumed was the cover for the Fountains of Wayne original. As far as I ever noticed, there was only one Stacy's Mom, and it was actually by Fountains of Wayne.

Nope. It took actively looking at the single cover on Spotify and seeing the "Everyone thought they did it anyway...so they freakin did it!" that I realized Bowling for Soup actually covered it as well and the bands just sound really, really similar. I like pop punk and it's a little creepy that a) I never noticed and b) I still can't tell without looking which version is which if it's not in headphones.

When I was about 14 or so and first getting into punk rock, there was a song labeled Bad Religion - Skaters Paradise on every p2p sharing client. I only found out much later that it wasn't actually by Bad Religion but rather by an obscure Norwegian punk band named Homer who don't seem to have any Internet presence at all (anymore). I ended up re-uploading the song to YouTube myself, since I still had the mp3 on one of my drives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MetO3adJfA

It sounds fairly basic to me now at 28, but I still think it's an interesting song, kind of d-beat and pop-punk at the same time. It had to be weird for them to find out their song somehow got fairly popular on the Internet while the vast majority of its listeners never found out which band it was actually by.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I had never heard of Mr. Bungle myself, but I'm always open to new bands. What's a good song of theirs

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

One year before I was born, technically true.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mandela? The diamond smuggler? :D

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Had an Irish kid named Oisín in my (Flemish) school for several years. I heard some interesting pronunciations from people who didn't know him

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have a really good friend from Liedekerke. We mostly speak in french or english for obvious reasons but would it be rude to ask her to say “Oisín” in the best dutch way she knows how?

I assume even the Irish aren't sure how to pronounce most Irish words, so no, go ahead and report back.

Now that I think about it, going by the diacritic I'm pretty sure the consensus pronunciation at our school was actually off and we were emphasizing the wrong syllable. Close, though

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's, hmm. I raped someone but it's OK because they raped me back. Never seen that one before, admittedly.

Thought syscall girl was cool, but I don't know what happened there

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Haha

I was a musical noob until I actually started playing the bass last year, but even I knew that. Well, I guess your interpretation makes sense too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's tribble, as in the Star Trek species