Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought he was a (depressed) rapper too

Am I out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I feel dirty defending white Americans of all people, but anyone who thinks certain groups of human beings 'have no culture' is a loving idiot with a childlike understanding of the concept of culture

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

dobbymoodge posted:

The thing I just realized is that forums poster Dip Vicious has a carbon monoxide leak in his house, or perhaps a touch of amphetamine psychosis. :shrug:

Also that forums poster Carthag Tuek has a photographic memory and you do not want to cross him

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

People overstate how bad Grease 2 was, even if it's true that it doesn't hold a candle to the original. If nothing else, I always thought the opening number was pretty catchy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bbTEJCoNxw

e: Michelle Pfeiffer was obviously miscast but she makes up for it by being really hot

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Sep 18, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hardcordion posted:

I just discovered that TLO Rollcall is basically a parody of Lip Gloss by Lil Mama.

poo poo, I never knew that. Our version has better flow, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

EVE Online: just found out that the Mittani is no longer the leader of the Imperium, which also is no longer associated with Something Awful??

What the hell happened since I stopped playing two years ago, we won World War Bee just for this

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, drat. Shame he turned out to be an rear end in a top hat, dude was an excellent public speaker. Difficult to believe it ends like this.

At least World War Bee was one hell of a way to cap off nearly two decades of goon mayhem. Delta Sqad forever

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

rollick posted:

I looked up how tall Tiny Tim was and it's 6'1''/1.85m.

Kind of surprising to me - I'd think it's an above average height, but not enough to base a gimmick on.

Maybe all the other entertainers were shorter back then.

He was born in 1932, so that probably actually was really tall at the time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I love this fat-cat peasant meme that has been making the rounds in recent years. It's like people saw media like Monty Python's Holy Grail where peasants were constantly covered in poo poo and died of old age at 26 and ran it way too far back in the other direction.

I think people used to see stats like 'life expectancy at birth in the Middle Ages was 35' and assumed that this meant that people back then literally dropped dead in their thirties. But that figure being so low is mostly because child mortality was extremely high, and it only started significantly declining in the 19th century, primarily due to advances in medicine, including germ theory. Life expectancy at 15 would have been much, much higher. If you actually managed to survive until adulthood as a medieval peasant, you had a reasonably good chance of making it to old age.

Not that this means their lives were easy, of course.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

We used to have a cat named Isis. I imagine she and that little girl would have gotten along

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I honestly hadn't even made the connection in this thread until people started being more explicit about it. I'm happy to report that those has-been terrorist losers have never managed to replace the Egyptian goddess in my mind.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 12:22 on Dec 18, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

I just realised that in Spanish, a leading "h" is silent. That's why "hombre" sounds like "ombray" and why my new colleague Hernan introduced himself as "Ernan".

It's just a silent letter. Easy! We've got lots of those already, so that's simple enough to wrap my head around.

Wait until you hear how they pronounce 'ska'

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

jajaja xD

Yeah, ola technically means wave, but it's pretty obvious what you actually meant.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Like when I found out about scampo-scampi as a teenager

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

for fucks sake posted:

I just realised "Dunder" and "Blixten" are thunder and lightning.

Huh. That's 'donder' and 'bliksem' in Dutch...

I guess I just figured something out, too

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Something something British women

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A username for every occasion

I'm waiting for my moment to shine

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I guess I just realized the Thin Lizzy song is a cover

e: I just found out that that is a lie and it's not actually the same song

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And get this guys, it's called Australia, but actually

Oh wait. Never mind.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Queensland is insanely huge.
Another FUN thing about maps of Australia is that cartographers feel uncomfortable about empty spaces and will fill them up with absurdly small towns. Anyone want to guess the population of Ivanhoe, New South Wales, that's there on the map?

Without looking it up, it's just a guy called Ivanhoe lives there

e: I was pretty close

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Similarly, Australia and New Guinea used to form a single landmass known as Sahul, which is how early humans managed to migrate there from what is now Indonesia despite their limited oceanfaring techniques at the time

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Reminds me of the time YouTube decided that you shouldn't be allowed to sort videos by Oldest, for some baffling reason. Thankfully, counter to the trend of everything getting worse all the time, they walked this back eventually

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

teen witch posted:

Change every national anthem to Toni Basil’s Mickey

https://youtu.be/JZEdtcnnO80

Toni Basil's Mickey or Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend.

I will not be taking any questions

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

PYFTYJR: Toni Basil's Mickey is a genderswapped cover of the UK band Racey's song Kitty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3JxiB4FLjU

I genuinely did not know this.

The one I usually smugly drop on people is that Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Want To Have Fun is a somewhat more female-friendly cover/version of a pretty good power pop song by Robert Hazard.

e: https://youtu.be/5aLNwOxPsjg?feature=shared

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Jan 30, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ommin posted:

I didn't know either of these. I am also learning a lot today.

Blondie's Hanging On The Telephone is also a cover. That one's pretty close to the original, though, just with Debbie Harry's powerhouse vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emy5mA8Ixtc

Three for three?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can see that, I guess it's not one of their biggest hits. Always been on my personal radar just because I'm a huge Blondie fan, and I would gladly marry Debbie Harry even though she's about a hundred years old by now.

Conversely, I've never heard of Common People

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yup. Lots of bands from that era loved covering old ska/reggae songs, see also Pressure Drop by The Clash.

As for Blondie, Denis is a cover as well! I'm going to stop now, I think people understand the general point of 'many famous hits are covers of relatively obscure songs'

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Only one I know is Love Is A Battlefield, but really, do you need any more? Still remember that dance-off against the pimp

e: bassline intensifies

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Feb 2, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

99% sure I've posted this before, but I used to think Patti Smith and Patty Smyth were the same person. Thinking to myself 'wow, she really changed her style (and voice) during the eighties, but you know, many artists did'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_50-gOeBilc

Uhh...brunette...guitars and stuff...both had a handful of pretty good songs...definitely understandable and normal for me to think that

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

credburn posted:

All I got to see was a big black orb doing nothing,

Turn on your monitor

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Also all the place names ending in church/kirk/kerk/Kirche or (presumably) the various North Germanic forms, although they ultimately derive from a Greek word, which I didn't know until I looked it up just now. I guess you could say I just realized it.

e: Captain Splendid edited his post to make me look foolish, but he correctly related the English thorp to the (High) German dorf

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Feb 19, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Captain Splendid posted:

Yeah, sorry, I was just worried I was going off on too much of a self-indulgent tangent.

This has never stopped me or any other goon before :justpost:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

When an unstoppable goon meets an immovable goon

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The band Derek and the Dominos has no one named Derek in it? Get out of here with that postmodern bullshit.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Freakin' credburn man

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

"Tough tackies" is properly spelled "tough takkies", and it is exclusively a South African expression.

I'm going to start culturally appropriating this

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I love credburn anecdotes

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't know who you're referring to but that archetype is so common that it might actually be fifty different people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg were all forcibly switched to CET during World War II, and never bothered to switch back afterwards.

It's the time zone that will keep growing until it covers the entire world, no matter how little sense it makes.