Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Similarly, I thought "ftfy" was "gently caress this, gently caress you."

What does it mean I have always read it as gently caress this gently caress you

Edit: I guess I could have read the rest of the page before posting

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I thought that a t-bone was tenderloin and ribeye, when in fact it is tenderloin and strip loin.

I am a professional and have been mistaken on this subject for years. It was pretty distressing to discover

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Milk at dinner here, too. We would go through a gallon every other day between my brother and I. It was always 1% or skim though. I drink exclusively whole now that I am an adult and making my own milk decisions.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I listened to a ton of Primus in the mid-late 90s.

About 7-8 years ago, I got into Tom Waits and still listen to his music all the time.

I just realised that it was him singing on the song Tommy the Cat. It came on randomly earlier today on Google Play and I had a very much :aaaaa: moment.

While I was aware of this I just made the connection that the cat and Waits are both Tom. I guess I knew but it never really occured to me, never clicked if you will.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
In the awful app, the grenade next to people's names mean they have plat/you can pm them. You don't have to just guess.

I don't know if it's on the main site too, I almost exclusively phone post anymore.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

Bacon/pork/whatever tastes disgusting to me - too much salt and fat.

My curiosity with this statement is how all of pork falls into the "too fatty/salty" category. Bacon is, by definition, heavily salted, and comes from a very fatty part of the animal. But if your pork chops or pulled pork are way too salty and greasy, you just ate some very poorly prepared pork.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

Kay.

It tastes revolting to me because it is too salty and too fatty. I don't know how much clearer I can be. Different people have different tastes in food, and that's all there is to it. Sorry I don't like the same food you do. What do you care anyway?

I still don't understand who is preparing your pork that it is too salty and fatty across the board. Pork loin (chops) and shoulder (pulled pork) are very lean cuts aside from a fat cap, which should be removed in the case of loin, and taken off after cooking for shoulder. You cook the shoulder with fat cap on to give the otherwise lean cut some moisture. Unlike good beef, pork is not known for its marbling (intermuscular fat). Any of your beef steaks will be much fattier than pork.

Also, pork does not come pre salted.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ryoshi posted:

I just figured out that this isn't even one of the food threads and the jackass that started all this was either too loving dumb to read the thread title or was outright trolling you all.

Lol I assumed I was posting in the unpopular opinion thread when I responded

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Kindergarten was its own entity, then elementary 1-6, middle 7-8, high 9-12

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Delivery McGee posted:

Negative in the sense of jury rig -- "It's not great, but it's the best that we can do in a pinch with what we have on hand," as opposed to "taking the time to do it proper-like". Cf. German "ersatz", and modern "duct tape and/or baling wire" methods of making do.

Ha up until now I always thought the term was "Jerry rig". Like some guy named Jerry fixed things in a half assed way so often that a term was named after him or something. Not that I've ever given it much thought, but this is the first time I've seen that term written. I've been saying it wrong my whole life.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

No, you're not wrong. They're two pretty similar, related terms. "Jerry rigged" refers to "Jerry the German", in the sense of a wartime name for the dude you're fighting (like "Charlie" for the Viet Cong). Until I googled, I thought "Jury rigged" was the derivative, but it's actually the origin, though "Jerry rigged" developed through the two world wars. Source: http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/132868/jury-rigged-or-jerry-rigged.

Oh neat, that makes me feel better. It's kind of like the other "rigged" term that's a very rude thing to say.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You are mistaken, it's pronounced "sword"

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

No, that's Jethro Tull

I believe his name is Jeff Rotull.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It still baffles me that some people consider fish meat a separate thing from other kinds of animal meat.

It boggles my mind when people consider them different, and are "vegetarian but I eat fish." Commercial fishing ravages species way more than commodity beef or chicken production. Of course, beef and chicken have their own down sides, I consider commodity chicken and the conditions in which they live to be one of, if not the, most evil things in food service. But nothing in food service contributes to the decline and possibly eventual extinction of species quite like fishing.

It's the same with chicken-chicken and fish, in my experience, are the two meats that people who lean towards vegetarianism will eat. Fish is absurd for the above reasons, and chicken on a commercial farm are jam packed into tiny cages and stacked, barely enough room to move and making GBS threads all over each other. Even "cage-free" commercial chicken are jam-packed into a warehouse with a concrete floor, sure there aren't any cages, but they can barely move and will never see the sun. "Vegetarian-fed' chicken are sickly and weak, because chicken are omnivores.

Beef, on the other hand, tends to have lots of space, sustainability on a cow/calf ranch (as in having a ranch that will stand the test of time, something that even a rancher with zero concern for the environment cares a whole lot about) requires a massive amount of land for a relatively small amount of cattle. They need to rotate through pastures so that grass has the opportunity to grow enough to feed the herd. There are certainty some feed lots that pack the cows in tight, and there are environmental implications with the massive amount of waste that cows produce (this is, again, at the feed lot. At a cow/calf ranch, there is enough space that they don't need to worry about waste removal, the cows just poop wherever and it fertilizes the grass), but of all commodity meats, beef cattle probably has the best quality of life. So overall why those two meats are the ones that people will eat when they only eat a little/some meat (or say "I'm a vegetarian but I eat...") makes absolutely zero sense to me.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

A butter face is short for "but her face" as in she looks good...but her face. It doesn't mean someone who's face looks like it's made of butter. I always thought it was just a way of saying someone had a fat ugly face.

There's a beer from Draught Works called Scepter Head, which has a medusa faced woman with a normal body on the bottle. Same idea: 'cept her head.

E: I've got a pint glass

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Sep 14, 2017

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

The song is See My Vest, which makes it a bit more obvious too.

Huh, didn't know that. I always thought it was the much more direct "Be My Vest", like he's singing to the dogs about his eventual making a vest out of them. But I haven't seen that episode in at least 15 years.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

The vest he's singing about is "made from real gorilla chest" its the very next line in the song COME ON

Lol I watched it on YouTube immediately after I posted that and saw how wrong I was.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The_White_Crane posted:

Be fair, the fact that English has lots of weird-assed pronunciation/spelling mismatches doesn't mean that this one is not weird.
Though I think my favourite is the surname "Featherstonehaugh", pronounced "Fan-shaw". One can't help but think it's principal reason for existing is to serve as some kind of classist shibboleth.

I liked in the original House of Cards trilogy, Francis Urquhart's name is pronounced "Urkit". That one probably isn't even that weird, it doesn't even have half of the silent letters as your example.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

rodbeard posted:

No they specifically weren't allowed to kiss because Desi wasn't considered white. The show's producer said to Lucy: "Nobody will believe you are married to this whop."

The slur is just "wop", it originated as an acronym for "with out papers".

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Besesoth posted:

Thread title strikes again.

Thats what I get for not actually clicking the Wikipedia link. I googled it to check and it showed up in the text under the link, so I figured hey, good enough for me. But lo and behold, it is under the "false etymology" section.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wop

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Modest Mouse is a band, not a single artist??

Modest Mouse is essentially "The Isaac Brock Project" but he doesn't go by Modest Mouse.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The captain on Star Trek Voyager and Red from Orange is the New Black are the same woman

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Up until the Oscars happened and there were pictures on the internet I was picturing Benicio del Toro as the guy who made the fish man movie

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if you're just messing around or if it's a dialect thing for the instrument names or what but his name was Adolphe Sax and he invented the saxophone, saxhorn, saxtromba, and saxtuba.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah around here (Springfield) they're named Saxamaphone etc

It's a regional dialect

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

To show off wealth? An ice maker add on to the freezer section is easily under $100. My parents, who were far from rich when I was growing up, had one as long as I can remember (70s-80s).

https://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-IceMaker-Kit-ECKMFEZ2-Connect/dp/B00R8AEL9Q/

That's the one (or a similar one) that I've got. I think they were talking about the fridge/freezers with water and ice dispenser on the door, which are considerably more expensive.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

Read more than a sentence of that wiki and you might learn the One Weird Trick that makes both of you right!

Right, this is the start of the paragraph:

Filet mignon (/ˌfiːleɪ ˈmiːnjɒ̃/;[1] French for "tender fillet" or "delicate/fine fillet") is a steak cut of beef taken from the smaller end of the tenderloin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well here's another chunk from that wiki article. Filet mignon, in France, may refer to pork, but in US English and Quebec french, as well as many other places in the world, it refers to a cut of beef. I worked in a French bistro in the USA that had "Filet de Boeuf" for a title, and the description/English translation said "6oz Filet Mignon". It is also pretty clear that the article is referring to filet mignon as beef.

I skipped around copy/pasting and excluded the languages whose names for a petite beef tenderloin aren't filet mignon or something similar.

wikipedia posted:

The same cut of beef can also be called:

French: filet de bœuf

French (Québec): filet mignon

English (U.S.): filet mignon

Swedish: filé mignon or oxfilé

Spanish: solomillo or filete miñón

Dutch: filet mignon

Portuguese: filé or filé mignon