Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Phosphine posted:

Yeah but sometimes people say "we've got an easterly wind today" and then I have to think :(

Edit: by people i mean the king of red Lions in wind waker

Easterly is blowing east to west, Eastward is blowing west to east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Phosphine posted:

Do surfaces without thickness have sides? Or is it because you cannot see any 2D object, because they cannot exist?

A truly 2D object would not have the mass to emit or reflect photons and hence could not be seen at all.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Splendid posted:

I'm glad they finally found the Higgs boatswain

Torquemada posted:

There are no atheists in forecastles.

These are some top-tier boat puns.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

I ride up in my pterohelico

Honestly a pterahelix is a much cooler name for them anyway

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

Did you know that in several ancient European cultures it was forbidden to say the word for bear lest saying its name attract the beast and kill everyone?

I wish that actually worked, specifically for every poster on this page

To the point that the English word for bear doesn't, etymologically, mean "bear". It comes from the word for brown. The original word is lost.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

verbal enema posted:

in a cool world we'd have gotten a couch coop game with all 4

You could half do this in Ratchet Deadlocked

(Although Clank and Daxter aren't present, it had a couch co-op mode and you could use Jak as a character model)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Except our weekdays are named for norse gods. Thursday is Thor's Day.

Anglo-saxon gods, technically, but they're the same ones the romans syncretised with their own.

Tyw - Mars
Wodan - Mercury
Thor - Jupiter
Frigga - Venus
And also Just Saturn because why not I guess

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

caspergers posted:

This is pretty much what's been happening with the word "apparently". Most people use it to mean supposedly/allegedly, but it actually means obviously; apparent means clear, which is obvious enough. Now this may have started as ironic or possibly hyerbolic (which we all know happened to "literally"), but I've seen it used as supposedly dating back to the 50s, in which case it's almost entirely lost its original meaning; this must be what happened the words awful and terrific.

But I'm not up my own rear end about it, cuz I use apparently as supposedly. Hell, one of my stage jokes I use it as supposedly, mostly because "supposedly" will sound pretentious to an audience.

I always took "apparently" to mean "in light of recent information". As in, it appears that this is the case. Sometimes snidely implying that information is dubious.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Regardless of what it is, wtf does that phrase even mean? I've never eve thought about it before. Deserts makes even less sense.

A "desert" meaning a thing you deserve. The word has fallen out of use outside that phrase.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rollick posted:

Calling someone naive a "sweet summer child" is apparently a thing entirely made up by George RR Martin in Game of Thrones:

Is that surprising? I thought the whole meaning about it was talking to children in the books that had spent their entire lives in the summertime because of the way seasons worked in the setting.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Splendid posted:

An omelette du fromage is an omelette made entirely of cheese.

So, a really good cheese omelette?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you had actually watched Behind The Laughter you'd have known that they had stories for years.

That's Gump Roast, you fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The symbol/kaomoji library can be brought up Windows 10 with windows+.