Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Delicatessen = Delicat Essen = Delicious foods. Surprised I didn't notice it when I used to work in one.

Amazing, it's only the first page and the thread title is already correct! You're right that Deliactessen is a German loan word, but it's more than that. It's actually a French loanword in German with the original French, délicatesse meaning something like delicious thing. Even this French word isn't original, that would be the Latin delicatus. It's a logical assumption, what with the incredible German compound nouns, but it's still questionable etymology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Captain Hygiene posted:

This should help clear things up:

Still missing a simple man, truly the Coen Brothers most Jewish movie

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ebert was a hardline breastman it must therefore be assumed that according to Hegelian Dialectics Siskel was an assman.

Bomb rear end titties being the thesis, booties being the antithesis, the synthesis is the vaginur.

Mein gott, this is pure ideology. My dude, as any proper Hegelian would tell you the synthesis of rear end and titties is not something as vulgar as a a vagina, but that most important and arousing of organs: the brain.