Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Yeah, Bobcat's done a bunch of directing and stuff after he dropped the character and 'grew up' a bit. He was on the Sklar brothers' podcast recently. He doesn't talk about the character very much - it's mostly about his movies and getting back into stand-up (and how he used to joke about Cosby being a terrible person back in the 80s and 90s, before anyone knew that Cosby was a terrible person). I think he's an interesting dude, so I enjoyed it. The stuff about Barry Crimmins is serious and bleak, but that's kind of expected - Barry Crimmins is the comedian who was molested that SomeJazzyRat was talking about, and the documentary Bob's making about him is called "Call Me Lucky," if anyone was curious.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/bobcat-caught/

For whatever reason, I'll always remember the bit Bobcat did about starting a fire on the Tonight Show, and then having to do a PSA about it. "If you're ever on the Tonight Show, kids, don't set it on fire!"

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Beachcomber posted:

Sorry, was just going by Discovery, which is really all I'm familiar with.

Around the world around the world around the world around the world was everywhere in the late 90s. At least, that's how it seemed at the time. That and Republica's "Ready to Go."

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
I had a random thought pop up in my head today for no discernable reason: Usagi Yojimbo was the best part of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles world. I haven't thought about TMNT or Usagi Yojimbo in years, and the strongest memory is from the 80s cartoon (when I was a single-digit-age child), but nothing more specific than "the rabbit samurai was pretty awesome."

Thing I just figured out: Usagi Yojimbo isn't actually a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles character, but an independently-created Animal-Person Hybrid Comic Book with Japanese Influences, that just so happened to have numerous crossovers with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

DrBouvenstein posted:

Mystery Men share a universe with TMNT.

They debuted in a Flaming Carrot comic, and Flaming Carrot had a crossover with TMNT.

st_elsewhere_universe.jpg but it's TMNT. I don't know or remember enough to have a good Tommy Westphal analogue.

That's another thing I haven't thought about in years. Early internet had some good insane fan theorists. :)

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Failed Imagineer posted:

Today I realized the guy from NOFX was named after a banana

lol, I thought the same thing.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
The Who's "Who Are You?" has a "who the gently caress are you?" that almost never gets censored on the radio.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

I love stupid puns like this. It reminds me of the fight club side quest in Witcher 3. You go around beating up a bunch of people for money, and one of them is an elven tailor named Durden.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also Mac Tonight was a McDonalds character who sorta aped the aesthetic of the Rat Pack/50s crooners with a surreal twist, and Bobby Darins signature song was a cover of Mack the Knife.

My favorite version of that song is Ella Fitzgerald in Berlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vXAtVbZbkI She even starts by saying "I hope I can remember all the words," and of course, she doesn't.

"Oh what's the next chorus / to this song now / this is the one now / I don't know" is just part of the song for me now.

Also, she does a pretty great Louis Armstrong impression in that one.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Bloodhound Gang has a song on their first album (Legend in My Spare Time from Use Your Fingers) with the line "If you wanna look like Rocky, Dennis, better drink your milk" and it took me a long time to realize that there isn't necessarily a comma between Rocky and Dennis, and they're probably not talking about Rocky, the Sylvester Stallone character, and Dennis (the Menace), the comic strip character. It's much more likely they were making a Rocky Dennis joke, which seems about right for Bloodhound Gang. It could also be both, because that's how wordplay works. Sometimes Bloodhound Gang can be clever, and most of the time they're just dumb (but they know they're being dumb so it sort of works).

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Mar 24, 2022

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
When you change your forums username, quoted posts with your old username don't get highlighted, denying you (me) that little rush of endorphins when you (I) see a purple block on a page. I'm sure the reason is just "Radium" (said with a heavy sigh) and I'm willing to accept that (probably something to do with the user names not matching, even though the user id is the same).

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Oct 20, 2023

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Inceltown posted:

Have a free fix on me

There we go. Thank you, friend. Right back at ya.

Grassy Knowles posted:

50 farts is right it sucks when you dont get a dopamine hit from internet strangers saying your name, that was kind of you Incel town.

And one for you as well. :)

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Ella Fitzgerald's trumps both, especially since she blanks on the lyrics and confesses that to the live audience without missing a beat. Just starts ad-libbing like she's in a street rap battle.

I will fight all y'all!

"What's the next chorus to this song now? This is the one, now, I don't knoooow" is so great. I also like the part where she does a Louie Armstrong impression (specifically from Live in Berlin, but she might have done it other times). Not a thing I just realized, but Ella Fitzgerald rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The low five predates the high five by fifty years

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_five

And the high-five was invented by a fascinating dude named Glenn Burke in the late 1970s, because he was so excited for a teammate who hit a home run. He just stuck his hand up and the other guy didn't know what to do, so he slapped it, and a legendary move was born. The Dollop podcast did an episode about him, which is pretty good (tragic ending, though).

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Jan 1, 2024