Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a ton of parks and other features around Melbourne named after John Batman and we're slowly getting around to changing them, although every single time we have to go through the usual "Heritage not hate"/"Muh childhood!!"/"That was all in the past just get over it" song and dance.

Batman Park in Northcote got changed to Gumbri Park a few years ago

https://www.darebin.vic.gov.au/Community-and-pets/Aboriginal-Darebin/Our-commitment/Batman-conversations

Batman train station on the Upfield line still hasn't been changed

Good to know it's happening. A shame to hear there's resistance still, this place is usually pretty progressive. I mean we elected a Green ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Kit Walker posted:

They should've just proclaimed that all these locations are now named after the superhero

I get where you're coming from, but maybe better to revert to the names given by the people they were stolen from, eh?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ugh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Folks_at_Home

Just pick another song, you fuckers. Don't keep it and change the lyrics.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

TK-42-1 posted:

same. i’m all out of faith.

I don't know if :thejoke:, but that's a cover too :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OoEdfB7l18

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The lyrics of that old electro song wasn't ever "push me and then just hurt me till I can get my satisfaction". It was "and then just touch me".

I always thought it was this weird BDSM anthem.

This one, clip fairly NWS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0fkNdPiIL4

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

If all the creatures in Hollow Knight are bugs, the fireflies they put in their lanterns must be absolutely teeny weeny!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well, there's a pretty big disparity in the sizes of bugs in real life.

I think I fought that first one at the end of Queen's Gardens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f62A5eOtLzI

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

"Tough tackies" is properly spelled "tough takkies", and it is exclusively a South African expression.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

FFT posted:

Who even says that instead of "tough titties" besides South Africans?

Me, a child of two South African Jews, who was born in Australia and grew up around a lot of South African expats and their kids. Many, many times I've mistaken a South-Africanism for a universal one, an Afrikaans word for a Yiddish one, or vice versa.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

FFT posted:

Fair enough. Great news, now you can start saying "tough titties" instead! Maybe.

Ha!

"Takkies" would be less crude, but also less likely to be understood. And the only other similar expression I can think of is "stiff poo poo".

Also this realisation completely torpedoes my "tough Takis" Soul Calibur joke I've been brewing.

E: wait, there's also "tough bits, man", which I've never heard outside of Lars saying that once in Steven Universe...

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 10:17 on Mar 4, 2024

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fred Durst wasn't singing "it's my way on the highway". It's "my way or the highway", which makes waaaay more sense.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

FFT posted:

btw the actual meaning is "hit me [up]" i.e. "call me" but the writer was Norwegian or something and they went with it anyway.

Makes a lot more sense when the intent is "i'm lonely pls call"

On the topic of songs, we don't have the expression "hit me up" in Australia, so when I first heard that song "come hit me up" I was like "is that the same as 'come get me knocked up'?" and was very confused.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Qapla' is from Star Trek. It is Klingon for "hooray!".
Ghafla is from Dune. It is Arabic Fremen for someone who is easily distracted, and not reliable.

They are not the same words.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Nameless Pete posted:

At least you didn't embarrass yourself in front of any cool people.

Yeah, my god it would have been pretty bad!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

People responding to dating app prompts of "What is your love language" with "acts of service" aren't being weird, demanding or kinky, they're quoting an early 90s book that defined five specific "love languages" that apparently everyone is intimately familiar with.

All they actually mean is "doing nice things for me"

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 11:51 on Apr 12, 2024

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the original concept is actually not awful - it's really fairly straightforward when you say something like "some people are touchy-feely, some people like to do little favors for their partner, some people like to buy gifts, some people like to express love with words, some people really like to just spend time with their partner", and then obviously you can have a preference to receive that isn't your preferred way to express

...but, of course, the book was written by a Baptist minister to begin with and has gotten more and more cargo-culted through the years.

No, that's the thing! The concept itself is A: absolutely fine, and B: not that freakin complicated.

My irritation is at people saying "acts of service" and "words of affirmation", expecting everyone to know what the hell they're talking about, rather than normal human language like "do nice things for me" and "give me compliments".

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hirayuki posted:

See, my initial interpretation of "my love language is acts of service" is "I express my love by doing nice things for others," not the other way around. It's a lot less :rolleyes: than the selfish take, but there's no way to tell what's meant.

Oh, huh, I didn't even think of that. Well, cool, it's even less clear than just using normal language!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I still prefer the idea that Master of Puppets is about this thing and not cocaine.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Torquemada posted:

The video for Total Eclipse is loving wild, it's full of pale young men in singlets with shiny eyes prancing around a dollar store version of Hogwarts. Bonnie Tyler is apparently the new Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher, wardrobe from the Nordstroms in the Eden Prairie Mall circa 1982.

Really dude? Boarding schools existed before the Harry Potter books came out.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Torquemada posted:

I went to one, well two actually. I'm not sure how you could read the paragraph you quoted without realising I was writing with humorous intent.

:shrug: "lots of people are real dumb" is how. My bad.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, case in point: I can't believe I've only just realised that, well, Afroman has an afro.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/afroman-pushes-back-cop-lawsuit-recent-music-video/story?id=101520072

When I scrolled down to his pic I was surprised he has an afro. I haven't the faintest idea why.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The (unrecognized) African country of Rhodesia and the Rhodes Scholarship were founded by the same guy, mining magnate/philanthropist/mega racist Cecil Rhodes

Holy cow! I never knew that part!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesia posted:

Following the declaration of independence, the United Nations Security Council passed a resolution that called upon all states not to grant recognition to Rhodesia.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Has anyone got that vid of them not doing anything to indicate the start of play, where they instead just stand up and calmly stroll through the other side's players?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I was just watching a Street Fighter 6 tournament, and thinking it would be funny if people really did yell out the names of attacks when they do them, and then that it'd be funny if, like, soldiers yelled out "SHOOTING GUN!" when they fired, and so on.

Anyway, I just realised that fighter pilots LITERALLY do that. There are radio code words for different kinds of attack. Admittedly "shoryuken!" sounds a lot cooler than "fox three!" but there you go.

e:

Captain Splendid posted:

"Could the game have been more rigged from the start?"

Oh real smooth, Courier! Smooth like smooth little babies!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

St_Ides posted:

In the Canadian military it's procedure to yell "grenade" *before* throwing a grenade.

Which leads to a lot of confusion during exercises with US troops where someone yelling grenade is a warning that one just landed near them and to take cover.

So what do Canadians yell when a grenade lands near them? "Hadouken"?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Was your dad a big fan of Calvin & Hobbes? :v:

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvlWQyvEI38}

For our overseas friends who might not know: Australia does/did have a massive feral rabbit problem, and built a "rabbit-proof fence" to try to stop them spreading.

Also, Nasi Goreng is delicious. I'm not sure how much Indonesian food you get on the other side of the world, but we get quite a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ommin posted:

I had never heard of this before a was certain he said "Nazi Goring". LOL

(Geordi LaForge no face): Nazi Goering
(Geordi LaForge yes face): nasi goreng