Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Over three hours of Vangelis is just too much Vangelis.

wud-wud-wud-wud-wud-wud
MMMNNNYYYEEEEUUUUUWWW
YYYUUUUUUWWW
wud-wud-wud-wud-wud-wud
HHHMEWWWWW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Aries is a terrible constellation. Just a short bent line. Sagittarius is rad and totally looks like a teapot, and Capricorn has been called "the bikini bottom" which is at least more believable than "the water goat"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Silver Falcon posted:

Slightly off-topic, but I was recently on a trip to the southern hemisphere. And lemme tell you, you think those constellations are bad? Go to the southern hemisphere where they have such things as a bunch of lines (telescope), a diamond, a triangle, and a different diamond (cross).

The Zodiac ones at least kinda sorta look like what they're supposed to be, if you squint. Old timey explorers down there seriously phoned it in!

Back in the 1700s, astronomers decided to arrange this whole sky business properly once and for all, and fill in all the blanks between the famous constellations, even if there was absolutely nothing of note in the gaps. So you get terrible stuff like Telescopium and Triangulum Australis. Or Lynx, so named because you'd need the eyes of a lynx to spot it, apparently.
The best shady old-school astronomer story, though, relates to alpha and beta delphini, named Suolacin and Rotanev. These names were diligently copied into star charts by astronomers for decades before it was realised they'd all been played for ABSOLUTE FOOLS. The italian astronomer Nicolo Cacciatore had translated his name into latin, written it backwards, and then snuck these names into his star charts next to some otherwise obscure little stars. And now the names are there forever.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh poo poo, I hope you didn't start singing along and embarrass yourself.

One time Under Pressure started playing and I started singing Ice Ice Baby by mistake but I think I got away with it

You didn't. Everyone was sneering at you

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Blurred posted:

Bette Midler and Barbara Streisand are different people. :psyduck:

Like, I must have known on some instinctive level that they were different people because they had different names, but I just conceptually smooshed them together. And so Barbara Streisand didn't sing "Wind Beneath My Wings". Maybe the Mandela effect is real after all. :psyduck:

No, they're the sa-
What-

:psyduck:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

yaffle posted:

That a raspberry, in the sense of a farty noise, is cockney rhyming slang: Raspberry tart = fart

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's called firmware because of, like, hardware and software?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CJacobs posted:

Speedy, my pet turtle,

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm going to go back in time to kill the guy who did it.

Awesome! If you can pull that off, I'll give you a
um
hmm.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Phy posted:

Hey now it's pyf thing you just realized, doesn't say anywhere that it has to be useful

I guess it makes me a little sad, when for most of their evolutionary history, as far as tigers were concerned, the human noise for "tiger" was "EEEYAAAAAAGH"

Similarly, the scientific name for the western lowland gorilla is what you yell while running away from one

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ugh. The French language really needs to be organized properly. Someone should take responsibility for that mess.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah it's Brisbane that's halfway up the East coast

Queensland is insanely huge.
Another FUN thing about maps of Australia is that cartographers feel uncomfortable about empty spaces and will fill them up with absurdly small towns. Anyone want to guess the population of Ivanhoe, New South Wales, that's there on the map?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inceltown posted:

Is it less than Diehard?

*scoffs* Ivanhoe is nearly twice the size of Diehard!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FreudianSlippers posted:

Australia really has a village named after the historical novel Ivanhoe ?

Yes.
If it helps, a lot of these little towns started as family farms that didn't stop. Which is why my town shares its name with a book of notably bad poetry (and a genus of North Atlantic copepods, but that's coincidence)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Splendid posted:

In a little over a year, the midpoint for the Simpsons will be the Simpsons Movie

Your maths is way off. They only made about 9 series of the Simpsons.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Harvey TWH posted:

Oh, bee is grammatically feminine? I was going to joke that you're more likely to hear the male ones buzzing, but now I can't be sure of that from a linguistic or apicultural standpoint.

All worker bees are female, aren't they? Same as ants?
Bee genetics is one of those topics I remember enough about to know it is fascinating and important, but not enough to actually, y'know, talk about with anyone. Just sort of do some Pavlovian dribbling when I read the word "apiculture"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Empty Sandwich posted:

incredibly hosed- up to make glass out of gorillas, though

Geez, you people whined and whined about the dolphin glass, and as soon as we find a replacement, you start complaining all over again!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Today I just realised that one shouldn't adjust one's glasses while walking down stairs...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Or the spotted pardalote! Pardalote just means spotted. So it's the spotted spotted.
They are however quite hard to spot.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Phy posted:

My humor is squamous and rugose

What are your opinions on, ah, the swarthier races? Such as e.g. the Welsh.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Gabagool, look you.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FreudianSlippers posted:

Envisioning huge swarms of Chihuahuas roaming the wastes of their namesake desert devouring anything in their way until they're corralled by brave vaqueros who tame the savage beasts to market Taco Bell.

No, no, I think this makes more sense than reality.

1 posted:

Those vacuous eyes, that stupid grin on his face.

Well, that triggered a dormant neuron!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Hygiene posted:

- any goon ever, before posting parody song lyrics

Oh hey wow this fits the Ninja Turtles tune really well !