Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I don't know what it was, but I definitely grew up with a VHS that had a compilation of all the animated scenes from Song of the South. When I finally watched the movie, a few years ago, I was like HOLY poo poo THESE CARTOONS! I REMEMBER THESE CARTOONS! But I'd definitely never seen the live action segments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I sat down with a guy at the bar, and he said in a Southern accent, "Haven't seen you in a coon's age. You know that's not racist, right?"

Well, it feels like it somehow became racist by that followup.

The same way, a friend offered to buy me a shot of some drink with milk in it. I said I had to pass because I'm vegan, and her date said, "Hey man, no judgment."

Which just... makes it feel like there is judgment, by virtue of you saying so?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hyperlynx posted:

Ugh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Folks_at_Home

Just pick another song, you fuckers. Don't keep it and change the lyrics.

It wasn't until 2008 that Florida changed the lyrics of their state song to not include slurs, including, ugh (slurs) darkeys longing for the plantation

Florida sux!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Stunt was a fuckin great album. It's unfortunate the Barenaked Ladies's three biggest hits are hardly their best.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hyperlynx posted:

I don't know if :thejoke:, but that's a cover too :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OoEdfB7l18

Aww man, I didn't know that. I like the Imbruglia version better, but... now I don't like it because it's not a very creative cover. It's just the same song with a different singer, but basically exactly the same :\

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Birbs is not pronounced "beerbs"

It's just a different way of spelling "berbs"

Which is pronounced "berbs"

birbs = berbs

I know

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Been hearing white guys sing Gold Digger at karaoke for like ten years and this is the first time I realized the reason why the song is so dumb is the album version contains the N word and the karaoke version contains what I've been hearing for the last decade as "brokey broke" but last night discovered they're saying "broke bro" which makes more sense.

I've been hearing white guys talk about being a "brokey broke" for ten years not knowing what the gently caress that's supposed to be.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Watched that Tim Heidecker stand up special and realized that one is Tim, and the other guy is Eric. Had'em mixed up this whole time.

credburn has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Feb 6, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" is from freakin' 2003. It's another one of those phrases that's so ingrained, I would've sworn it had been around my entire life.

What's interesting to me is that slogan wasn't really around before then? I always assumed they just adopted it since everyone was saying it anyway, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I left Vegas just before the sphere lit up :(

All I got to see was a big black orb doing nothing,

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Captain Splendid posted:

Most of the time when people have been talking about Blazing Saddles and Chariots of Fire, I've been thinking of Ben-Hur.

One imagines going to the video store and seeing these three movies in the same section.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

Marge is usually short for Marjorie, which u believe Marge Simpson is canonically.

Presumptuous.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I just learned that Battlebit Remastered isn't a remaster of anything. It's just a dumb title.

I mean, I guess that doesn't really matter. I never played whatever I thought the original was. But something about it did intrigue me. Like, ohh they've made a good thing out of some old thing I've never heard of. I guess that's marketing for you, though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

FFT posted:

Yeah, she's killing it.

And has been for literal decades lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c18441Eh_WE

This is I think the only song of hers I don't like, and it really is specifically because she keeps making this weird face so close to the camera. It really is like a girl way too drunk dancing way too close to your face in the club.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The thing about all the "it actually takes fifty hours to edit one of these twenty-minute videos!" that I'm not sure I appreciate is... why? Does someone actually care? Is there actual data that shows a professional level of editing makes a difference? I mean I don't give a gently caress as long as the sound doesn't crackle and the intro is no more than three seconds. Do other people?

I think this is a topic of which I'm not really familiar with, but in doing audio editing it usually takes me about twenty minutes to produce three minutes of good audio. Actually probably a lot longer, really.

If it's like a 5 minute recording, let's say, then almost every subsequent step will require re-listening to those 5 minutes at least once. Cutting out unnecessary parts, relistening to it over and over to make sure it stays cohesive and there isn't any sudden cuts or something that sounds unnatural, or removes something that was not useful at one point but referenced later in a place that can't be cut. Adding fades and edits to make sure speech sounds natural and isn't full of jagged stops. Then locating copyright free music, going through many samples to find one that sounds right, finding one that fits the scene, having to listen to the entire clip to pick out the best part of the music to use for the scene. Locating sound effects, making sure the sound effects have a level of fidelity that isn't different than the rest of the audio. Then going over it a few more times to make sure that the music comes in right, making sure sound effects come in right, making sure all the tracks sync correctly, making sure the music isn't overly loud and cutting out vocals, making sure vocals aren't overly loud. Then going through all that a few more times to make last adjustments regarding reverb and other considerations, then normalizing the audio, then finally give it one or two good listens just to ensure I didn't miss anything.

If you want to make a clean and well-presented media, it takes at least that long. I don't do video editing, but I imagine when you are you have to do all the stuff I just talked about with audio and double that for video related things. Fifty hours for a twenty minute video sounds like about the right amount if you really want to make a really good product. Well... okay, fifty hours does seem like a bit much to me, but again I don't do video, so I don't know :shrug:

credburn has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Feb 28, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Did you notice you didn't answer any of my questions?

I don't think I have the answer to any of your questions, so I just submitted my experience in hopes it might help you reach the answers yourself, but also to engage in conversation.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DrBouvenstein posted:

"Throwing Bones" does not refer to craps/dice. It's dominos.

Makes no sense to me, since some of the original dice/proto-dice were often made from animal knuckle bones.

V V V Sure, but unless I've been playing dominos wrong my whole life, you don't throw them. V V V

You "roll the bones" for dice, no? I've never heard "throwing bones."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
When I was in jail I once helped a guy get a domino shoved into his penis. They call them canicas; basically someone gets hold of a domino, goes into the shower where there is grip tape, and they spend days sanding that motherfucker down. Using the grip tape that's probably covered in fungus, piss, and semen. Then when the domino is sanded down into the shape of a heart or diamond, three of us go into a bathroom stall. The first guy sits down on the stall, the second guy (me) holds his dick over a toilet paper roll, and a third guy makes two cuts using a razor blade. You have to cut in two spots to let the air out. The domino is shoved into the slit, and it sort of sits between skin layers on the top of the penis. Super glue seals the cuts. Then you just pray, pray, pray, pray you don't get a staph infection.

edit: I got a soda out of the deal

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Feb 29, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Was the guy an inmate or?

Yeah, he was an inmate.

Torquemada posted:

Hmm, prison seems less boring than I'd imagined. Is this some thing the inmates do to make themselves more attractive to other prisoners?

Well, it wasn't prison where this happened, just jail. Most of us were there only a couple weeks or months, depending on if we were fighting our case, or about to be sent to prison. However, in this case, the guy getting the canica was actually heading to prison. Maybe it's harder to get dick dominoes in prison than jail? I don't know why someone would want it who isn't going to be having sex with women -- lots of guys had them, and they would talk about how it drives women mad with sex ecstasy. They also said it makes anal sex "impossible" but, I don't know.

I was there for the experience and the promise of a warm Dr. Pepper.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Someone was trying to tell me the Britney Spears song "If U Seek Amy" was an "incredibly clever" way to "sneak past" censors and "nobody knew" what was actually being said for "years."

quote:

But all of the boys and all of the girls are begging to if you seek Amy

If it took you longer than one day to get the "secret message" you're just a goddamn idiot, and this fooled nobody.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
For ten years I've been buying these lovely shower-mirrors. They last about a month and then fog up and start warping in weird ways.

Well today I bought a new one, and someone in Amazon review section said, make sure you remove the protective film.

So I go into my shower, where the latest of my worthless shower mirrors are. I peel back the film, revealing a perfectly pristine mirror underneath.

I've thrown out a dozen of these motherfuckers over the years, and it's a goddamn headache to shave. Now I see why! I never realized there was a protective film over the mirror; I thought all that was the mirror. Holy poo poo I'm able to see myself in the mirror in the shower for the first time in years.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What the hell did you think mirrors were made out of so that they could warp? This is impressive.

I figured the stuff I was buying was like a reflective film that was glued to the fixture, and that was what was warping. Like some kind of reflective foil or something.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

root beer posted:

OJ Simpson, on the other hand, is not
Also, I recently learned that Gene Hackman is still alive and 94, but he looks every bit his age

That guy has always looked so crusty

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hyperlynx posted:

People responding to dating app prompts of "What is your love language" with "acts of service" aren't being weird, demanding or kinky, they're quoting an early 90s book that defined five specific "love languages" that apparently everyone is intimately familiar with.

All they actually mean is "doing nice things for me"

I've asked three different people what the hell a "love language" is and I've gotten three very different responses. The term is definitely popular, but I didn't know it came from a book and I bet the three people I know who regularly use this term don't know it came from a book either.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

rollick posted:

There's no question mark in the title of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It's just...a sentence fragment?

This is some Berenstain Bears poo poo

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I just learned that Chris Elliot is not a pedophile?

I think around the time of There's Something About Mary someone told me he'd been arrested for molesting kids. I never saw him in anything else after that, so I assumed it had been true. But I look him up now, I don't think he's ever been in trouble. I've been grossed out by his face any time I've seen it for more than two decades, thinking he was a rapist.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

YggiDee posted:

When I first heard Meatloaf's "Like a Bat out of Hell" as a child I assumed it was about vampires and I literally never reexamined that thought until about an hour ago.

That song is so great. It's about a dude who just has to get the gently caress out of that town. That town SUCKS. It SUCKS. He HAS TO LEAVE. God dammit there's nothing worse than that stupid town. So he spends one last night with his girlfriend, and as he's riding his silver-black phantom bike out of town, he can't stop thinking of the girl, and distracted, he flies off a cliff and crashes his motorcycle. So he's just lying there in the mess of his bike, but his heart is so fuckin determined to leave that boring rear end town, that it literally explodes from his chest, and flies away, away from that awful boring town where nothing really rocks and nothing ever rolls. And I guess he just watches his heart fly away, like WTF

I think also the town might have undead in it, I can't remember. The opening lyrics are, in my mind

The fires are burning and the dead, they are rising way down in the valley tonight

Not going to look it up because my version's cooler anyway.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I just learned that that Army thing Army guys say "ten-hut!" is an abbreviated form of "attention."

Makes sense. It cuts the word down from three syllables to two. Efficiency!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

1 posted:

Those vacuous eyes, that stupid grin on his face.

Haha I used to say this to my dog!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Friend posted:

Don't know if this really counts but I was really surprised to learn that Patrick Swayze isn't a ghost yet in the famous pottery scene in Ghost. Never had seen the movie before but I always thought it was ghost-him trying to be close to her.

It's been 30 years since I've seen it, but... I seem to recall a second scene where she's alone, doing the pottery thing, and ghost Swayze shows up to sort of duplicate the earlier scene, and Demi's character feels his presence, etc.

Was the scene only done once? No reprisal?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
This post could go in the Mandela Effect thread. I definitely recall ghost Swayze doing the sexy pottery thing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Someone once told me Oprah was related to Harpo Marx in some way and that's why her name is Oprah, but 30 years later I'm starting to question the wisdom of my grade school janitor.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
You dorks, you can sing anything to the tune of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
When Blade was released, I remember thinking that I was really familiar with the character and his boomerang because I'd played the NES game. But then I discovered there never was a Blade NES game. So for years and years I'd had this weird hiccup in my memory where I was sure I knew who Blade was and it was definitely because I played the video game about Blade and his boomerang.

Anyway, while just randomly looking at stuff, I discovered Power Blade, an NES platformer about a guy with a boomerang that I must have thought was Blade!

Little kid credburn thought they were the same :shrug:

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:01 on May 13, 2024