Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The metal strip over the flint wheel on disposable Bic lighters is supposed to be a child-proof safety. I'd always assumed it was basically packaging and meant to prevent the lighter from striking while being knocked around in shipping or something, and pulled it off as soon as I got the lighter. It turns out that it's completely possible to leave it on and still use the lighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Hipster_Doofus posted:

You seriously thought you were meant to remove it? It can't even be done without some kind of tool or at least very good (and not close-cropped) fingernails.

Yeah. They used to not come with that on there, so when they started adding it I just thought "oh, this comes off" and never gave it much more thought.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Memento posted:

Which was the original reason behind daylight savings in the first place - making sure rural kids didn't have to go to school in the dark.

Who decided that changing every clock made more sense than just going to school at different hours? Get rid of daylight savings AND time zones IMO.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

With a space heater it's more understandable for someone to mistakenly think it works that way since it would make sense for a small electric device to be variable power and the temperature knob usually isn't labeled in degrees, but I've met plenty of people that think that "lower temperature = blows colder air" is how their central air works.

"It's a little bit too cold in here, but I'll raise the thermostat by 10 degrees so it warms up faster."
"I'll turn the air conditioner all the way off so it doesn't make it too cold during the night."

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I get why they're made that way, by "sense" I just meant that I see the logic in thinking that it's something variable like the fan speed is.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Also, it's very slightly better to floss before you brush instead of after.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It's only gay if you go in between your cheeks. That's why men stand up to wipe and mop up what gets extruded out.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

:stare: I completely forgot that there are bidets not collocated with the toilet. Now I'm just gonna imagine the squatty poopwalk every time someone busts in with a :smug: the bidet is God's own method of cleaning your rear end

Aren't you still supposed to wipe before using the bidet? Guess I've been doing that wrong.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations

"She's giving me the excitations", not "egg citations".

Those at least sound similar, but why would I assume it was eggs? And then not question it for my entire life?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I found out about the rotating logo when I removed the whole front cover from the disc tray so I could play copied games with the GameShark + crochet hook trick.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If you don't wear shoes when you use the toilet, how do you wipe? :confused:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I just adblock the body of all posts and guess what people are saying based on their avatars. Putting everyone on ignore would take hours!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I thought that the time the forums crashed because of it was because someone really did have thousands of people on ignore.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The cashier at the liquor store I go to all the time is my aunt. I see that cashier all the time because I'm always buying liquor. I see my aunt all the time. I'm so faceblind that I never put together that she worked there until a couple of hours ago when she mentioned one of my recent purchases.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Luneshot posted:

To be fair, context is a major part of recognition. Especially coupled with even slight faceblindness, it’s relatively easy to totally miss someone otherwise familiar if you’re not expecting them.

Yeah, the combination of the uniform being completely unlike how she normally dresses and having her hair tied back at work was enough that I never realized it was someone I knew.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I just found out a couple of days ago that you can swipe over all of the letters in a word in one motion to enter a word instead of tapping the letters individually.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I learned what chord progressions and 12 bars blues are because it's nearly all of the music in Doom and Doom II.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Whatever happened to Junior, though? The only game I can think of where Donkey Kong Jr. and Donkey Kong III appear together is that one Mario Tennis, and that was 20 years ago.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I just discovered while grocery shopping that powdered milk is a real product.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Beachcomber posted:

Can I ask why you thought it was made up? Like, what purpose in a narrative would an imaginary "powdered milk" serve?

I guess that I heard it mentioned somewhere at some point in my life and mentally put it in the same category as Powdered Toast from Ren & Stimpy. It just doesn't seem like something that would be possible to turn into a powdered form, yet alone a shelf stable one. What's next, powdered beer?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Pocket Billiards posted:

Must be great to grow up with reliable electricity and consider powdered milk a cartoonish curiosity.

Nobody in my family drank milk. I guess the money saved on never buying milk allowed my parents to pay the electric bill.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Please reinstate the word filter for this, TIA.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Beach Boys song "California Girls" is not about wishing that girls would stop existing outside of California.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The "spring" in Irish Spring soap is referring to a source of water, not the season.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

And with the spells that do work, they forgot to make any of them factor in the INT attribute. Intelligence does absolutely nothing in the whole game.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It's because the whistle sound from Super Mario Bros 3 is from Zelda.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I have firstname@gmail and I constantly get medical info, appointment reminders, tickets to sporting events, Steam keys, receipts for donations, family photos, stuff about warranty repairs, etc. I stopped trying to forward things along to the correct people because they always just get mad at me like it's my fault. Whenever I sign up for an online service there's nearly always someone else already signed up using my address, so I have to do a password reset instead and basically hijack the account.

On the plus side, someone with a name not even similar to mine but still trying to use my e-mail address has been paying for Hulu for several years. I guess they just... signed up and then forgot they'd done it?

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Nov 25, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

FWIW I remember the biscuit cans from long ago opening a lot more energetically just from peeling the label, now I usually have to twist them open. Maybe too many were popping open during shipping or something.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I didn't move far, but I do have a refrigerator that works a lot better now. That's probably it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

why would you microwave something that's already on the stovetop

why would you put milk into what i assumed are mashed potatoes

nobody in my family uses milk and i'm lactose intolerant so at least once a month i find out about a new way people use milk that seems insane to me

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I knew about caribou but just now learned that reindeer aren't just regular regular deer with reins on them.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Maestro posted:

Really curious what you thought about posts where people 👏 talk 👏 like 👏 this 👏

I still don't get what that's meant to convey.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're clapping to emphasize. Yes it would be obnoxious. No, nobody really does it in real life

Clapping as you talked would make it so people can't hear your words. That's the opposite of emphasis. It sucks and I don't like it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Listening to the song just now to see what people are talking about here made me realize that Poker Face and Born This Way are two separate songs.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I didn't figure it out until one of the episodes had a gag where Brock was confused at other people not being able to tell the Joys apart from each other.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

EasilyConfused posted:

That's what you find weird about that image?

Am I learning something about Finnish keyboards?

That's a Commodore 64 keyboard, I think they used the same layout worldwide.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Ever put some double-sided tape down and found it a goddamn nightmare to remove the liner?

Put a bit of sticky tape on it, with a bit overhanging the edge of the liner. When you pull the tape up, the liner will come with it.

You can also fold and unfold a tiny bit of the end before you stick it down to create a tab that sticks up and is easy to grab later.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Cicadas can cause permanent hearing damage more easily than you'd think if it's a year where there's a lot of them and you have to be outside for more than an hour or two.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

A really minor one, but I've somehow had the physical appearances of the video game designers Sid Meier and Will Wright reversed in my head for most of my life. Will Wright just really looks like a Sid, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

In The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, one of the bounty hunters that Tuco escapes from in the opening scene is the same guy that later attempts to kill Tuco while he's in the bathtub. It's dead obvious that it's the same guy, with clear shots of his face both times, but I somehow always assumed it was some random guy that had a run in with Tuco before the events of the film.