Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Lying is wrong, gentle pete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

I just realised last night that Salt-N-Pepa are not TLC. Not even remotely similar, other than both comprising American black ladies.
I'm not too familiar with the bands, but they must have a lot more members than I'd imagine.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Three people is a lot?
Ah...I guess I was attempting to be too clever. I interpreted it as both comprising (all) American black ladies, so as to suggest that the entire black American female population is required to make up the two bands. But on closer inspection, that's really not even a particularly valid take on the sentence.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
It becomes more obvious if you litter the lyrics with quotation marks.

Head to the YMCA so you can have a "shower," and get a "good meal."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I don't think Jim Davis knows what wet nursing is

wet nurse
ˈwet nərs/
verb
gerund or present participle: wet nursing

act as a wet nurse to.
informal
look after (someone) as though they were a helpless infant.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

No, it's about bees.

e: You're taking the piss aren't you?
But bees don't travel in straight lines. They bumble around.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Sucrose posted:

I just learned that all uses of the word "check" (including "cheque") in the English language are derived from the chess term of checking your opponent's king, and the word "check" itself is simply derived from the word "chess." Mind blown.
Which itself comes from the Persian "Shah," after a long sojourn through arabic, latin and old french. It's one of my favorite etymologies.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

syscall girl posted:

They have several really. Probably the best is that venereal disease (usually syphilis) can be cured by having sex with a virginal girl. And that girl could of course be sold over and over again so this actually compounds the problem
? That's not really an idea I immediately associate with Victorian England...

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

Did you google this before posting?
Doesn't seem wrong?

quote:

sombrero (n.)
1770, from Spanish sombrero "broad-brimmed hat," originally "umbrella, parasol" (a sense found in English 1590s), from sombra "shade," from Late Latin subumbrare (see somber).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Bogan King posted:

Why would that be racist? Literally never heard anything called a spade other than the digging tool / card suit.
Because "spade" is a semi-obscure slur for a black person.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Subumbra literally translates to "under shadow."
Yes, that's so. I'm not sure if you're saying it to argue with me or to agree, though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

It was for the benefit of goons who did not get a proper municipal education.
Ah, fair enough. Though in this case, a classical education might be more appropriate.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I just wanted to contrast 'municipal' with some other '-al.' A feeble attempt at reparteé. :eng99:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

pik_d posted:

This is some Nelson Mandela effect poo poo

Weird. If I search for "the quick brown fox j," it mostly has "jumped" - but if I leave off the "the," it mostly has "jumps."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
And here I was thinking it's "You're too lame."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

syscall girl for the love of god please just tell us about the veruca salt/father joke
There isn't one.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

The word “Paradox” in the title of a sci-fi flick pretty much tells me it will involve some kind of time shenanigans.
I thought it indicated a medical theme.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

swordfish duelist posted:

If I remember correctly time does slow down relative to earth in orbit, so anyone up in the ISS is aging ever so slightly slower.
That's because of their speed relative to us. There's two effects going on with the ISS - they're further from the earth, which makes time pass slightly faster, and they're whirling about at five miles a second, which makes time pass slower, and the second effect is more powerful.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

I hate it when anglos pronounce a French word ending in -et as -ay instead of like adults.
"Adults" doesn't even end in -et. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

nexus6 posted:

Can we just say that anything posted on Tumblr is inherently false?
We can until someone posts that on tumblr.