Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
e:

Besesoth posted:

They do, but you actually have to go back a pretty long way to get to it!

"Cadence" directly derives from Latin's cadere, which means "to fall, to sink, to cease". The link seems to be the unstressed portion of speech, writing, activity, etc. falling away from the (stressed) beat.

"Decadence", on the other hand, also ultimately derives from cadere, but through decadere, which is almost as old a word. (In fact, a couple of etymology sources I've checked don't even acknowledge cadere at all, stopping the traceback at decadere.) decadere means "to sink, to fall, to decay", with the connotation that the fall is irrecoverable. In fact, "decay" comes from the same word; "decadence" is more closely related to "decay" than to "cadence".

They look similar in English because they were both participles in Latin: cadens "falling" and decadens "decaying".

Incidentally, "decade" has nothing to do with "decadence". We get "decade" from Greek δέκα which, predictably, means "ten".

:eng101: or :goonsay:, take your pick!

quote:

Cognates of CADENCE under Indo-European kad (to fall) include ACCIDENT, CADAVER, CADENT, CASCADE, CASE, CHANCE (see CHANCE), CHUTE (a fall in French), DECADENCE, DECIDUOUS, ESCHEAT, INCIDENT, OCCASION and RECIDIVISM.
http://www.edenics.net/english-word-origins.aspx?word=DECADENCE

E: My uneducated opinion is you're not going back far enough if just considering latin and not indo-european roots.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Snapchat A Titty posted:

They're not "like train tracks" because they're arrows, they're train tracks that are also arrows.

Yeah, but they aren't just arrows (with the arrows on the ends on the lines for example like most people would draw an arrow). They are in the middle meeting each other to form both an "N", and a stylized "R" at the same time.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Intoluene posted:

I'm Australia at least, rum is not a particularly popular spirit for young people, either. They'll typically drink bourbon or vodka. Box wine (goon) is also rather high on the list due to being able to gently caress yourself up on the cheap.

Everyone in Australia should know about rum. Kids these days...
For a long time rum was the only spirit distilled here (only recently was any other spirit distilled and they are mega expensive mircos anyway, rum is common still).
Bundaberg rum, inner circle rum and beenleigh rum

That said, Mt Gay is one of the better rums (better than aussie rum), and a good buy @ $40 if you can find it at that price. Sadly often priced much higher and you may as well by cheaper white spirits or whisky/ey as there's no such thing as a cheap rum worth drinking these days.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Feb 26, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The very top end of Australia is near-equatorial tropics so they really only have the wet/monsoon season and the dry season. The indigenous population had their own seasons:

Wakaringding is a great word for a season, I wish we had Wakaringding down here in the south.

It's wakaringding right now in Perth.
First real rain of winter and it's been pouring it down all day. I feel sorry for the guys at the local park playing club footy.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Best was the goon name felonious drunk E: can't google it so maybe I imagined it.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Dec 31, 2017