Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
OK I guess I just learned a thing. I always thought the one-winged dove was kind of a poignant image...

If you'll be my four-legged woman, I'll try to be your four-legged man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
Forever Man, by I think Eric Clapton or some band of his anyways.

Also to this day my sister gives me grief about "mediaeval woman" (evil woman) by my best guess is ELO

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I remember looking up an Aussie website to clear this up: "don't pronounce the 'a' sound in 'Coke' when in America, because the wait staff won't know what you're talking about". There was no irony in it, just that for some reason we here in America are confused by the "a". Like it's actually there, we just haven't been informed yet.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

In the near future brought to you by generation X, shirt tucking will be outlawed. We're still waiting for the last boomers to die off.

Have I said too much about our plans

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

gleebster posted:

What, no one for walnuts?

Winnots are an entirely different kind of berry

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

And then there was the time I actually looked up TIL, that was kind of recursive.

I thought it was something like "truth in life"

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh boy don't look up TIA it will gently caress you up because it's not actually "this is awesome" HTH.

I'm not looking it up right now because I have to go to bed, but thanks in advance

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

As a landscape architecture graduate, I find this turn of the conversation to be welcome yet strange. SA is the last place I would have expected Capability Brown or Ha-has to turn up. I love this place.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhW7rpFhr2k

I knew a dude with the last name Boisvert. He pronounced it pretty un-Frenchly, but then again who am I to say how you should pronounce your own name. Perrier, though

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Fo3 posted:

Best was the goon name felonious drunk E: can't google it so maybe I imagined it.

That was me before I posted in a name change thread. (Still have TM as my av though)

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I heard of it, but being old I assumed it was just some kind of anime thing. Useful concept though and one I'm familiar with as an atheist raised in an ostensibly Lutheran family.

I assume it's because of American politics that the phrase is around now. Something like "Make the god-fearing think the end times are near by actively creating analogues to the 'end times' of Revelations, reduce them to a state of abject bewilderment and faith that heaven will vacuum them up, get their money because a rich man cannot get to heaven any more than a camel can pass through the eye of a needle".

As political strategies go, I'm surprised it's had the legs.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Hmm well in postmodern circles the word "immanent" has currency, or at least it did when I dabbled in it in uni. It's different but actually in the context pretty indistinguishable. Probably better fitting really.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

OK fair point. Did I mention I *used* to be Lutheran. But I think you mean "The Revelation to John".

Also you are talking to a person poisoned by such works as "The Late Great Planet Earth", do not expect much.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

Supertramp and Pink Floyd are different bands.

poo poo boy I am going to take you over my knee

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

The reason we call them "pencil crayons" in Canada at least is because of bilingualism. There's a whole genre of Canadian idioms that arise from having both French and English on packaging and people not reading things in the intended way. I'm sure there's some sort of analogue in the States except with Spanish.

Edit: this is why:

Tad Naff has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Jan 24, 2018

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

That's a good one. My wife just told me about her friend's husband from Australia that really preferred the "Old Fort" cheddar.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

The Bloop posted:

It wasn't spelled literally though, at least not in the version I know

TIL Barbapapa and Moomins are different things. drat this poo poo is fifty years old at least.

Lately I've been irritating myself with thoughts like "when I was a teenager it was cool to listen to classic rock from the 60s" which is analogous to kids today listening to grunge. But if you take the 60s from now, that's about 50 or 60 years and so me getting out the Floyd or whatever is like granddad pulling out some sweet Edison cylinders of swing tunes and slapping them on the gramophone. Thankfully I'm childless so I don't have to endure the eye rolling from my grandkids when I YouTube up some Buffalo Springfield...

Or maybe "retro" is not exactly linear.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Bungee chords are pretty easy though, you just wrap it around the neck of the guitar and tighten, that's a pretty easy and economical way to transpose into an unfamiliar key.

Also I just figured out that parakeets were named so because they were worth twice as much as Guinea fowl chicks.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

"Weirdal" should absolutely be a word.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

My first user name here was Felonious Drunk

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

For decades I thought it was charming/weird that in UK cop shows they call their (female) boss "Mom".

Now even though I know that it's "Ma'am", my brain has calcified and I will forever think of British cops as having some kind of arrested development issue.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

As an ex-math teacher, the whole eyebrows/FOIL thing bothered me. These are really just repackaging plain old multiplication-by-hand that the kids already know. Really you can just pull in the idea of number bases, then you can take 23 * 56, write it as (2 * 10 + 3)(5 * 10 + 6), replace 10 with x to get (2 x +3)(5x + 6). Since you already know (I hope) how to multiply 23 by 56 by hand, you can do the same with binomials. Forgive the penmanship:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

In the song "Good Golly Miss Molly" I was always vaguely annoyed at the gross mispronunciation of "fine", more like "phone" in the line "You sure look fine".

So I looked it up today. That's not what it says at all.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I'm still amused that they thought putting "TRD" on their vehicles was a good idea

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Dancing with tears in my eyes

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

That did always strike me as a bad design. Give a kid (me) two 9V batteries and it's a matter of seconds before baby's first short circuit.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Also Billy Gofer, Wanda Grip, and Fred Bestboy

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

But the 'o' should be long, I'm sure we can all agree

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Uh... Well their war album was The Final Cut. Sure the war was a theme of The Wall, but a bit overshadowed by the whole descent into madness and megalomania thing. "The Wall" being a metaphor for the maladaptive but self-preserving strategies and beliefs one develops after trauma (Dad dying in the war and the absence afterward) or abnormal circumstances (you are now a rock star and things will never be the same). Then the "tearing down" as a cathartic return to normal, healthy brain. But that part isn't as cool, so.

Thank you for attending my TED talk.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I like that song! It's so pure.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hot Slightly warmer than room temperature take: Pink Floyd's kinda boring and not very good.

My sixteen-year-old self is waiting for you behind the bleachers, buddy

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

caspergers posted:

Creep by Stone Temple Pilots

You might have some more realizing to do!

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

TIL, I guess. Nirvana did have "Negative Creep" though

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Anos
&
Años

Mean quite different things

I loved the old days of early machine translation, so many Geocities pages translated from Spanish to English with things like "Hi! My name is Jose and I have 13 anuses!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

Fred Durst wasn't singing "it's my way on the highway". It's "my way or the highway", which makes waaaay more sense.

My latest was Britney. It's not "Show me how you want to do me"