Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
The name Menzies is pronounced Mingus but spelled the way it is because at some point somebody made a mistake in reading the letterforms - z and g look pretty similar in some scripts, like cursive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't get it.

what if there were 50 Shay DeGrays

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

For the record there are at least seven or eight different etymological origins behind a- prefixes in English, so if your remarkable breakthrough is related to that prefix you've got an even better-than-usual chance of being wrong as gently caress

Also entomology is a completely different word that already means something else

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Continuing regionalchat, I just found out that Fluffernutter sandwiches are apparently only a thing in New England, even though you can totally buy Fluff in other parts of the country

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

the sun'll come out tomorrow
bet your last 100 rear end-pennies that tomorrow there'll be sun

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Ego-bot posted:

And it was written by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

No it wasn't. The tune is a French folk song, and Mozart wrote an arrangement of the folk song.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

What do you drink with dinner at home if not milk? Soda all day every day? Coffee at 7 pm? Wine? Just water? Why is milk-drinking supposed to be worthy of note?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

Nothing? We drank water/tea/orange juice throughout the day if we were thirsty, but we usually ate dinner by itself.

I think having no beverage at all with a meal sounds an awful lot weirder (in the "less standard across the population" sense, not as a value judgement) than drinking milk; but that's from a Land-O-Lakes White American perspective.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

how the hell do you think it's supposed to be pronounced, then

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

legacy words. bequeathed words

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

But it's not like camels were native to the North American section of Pangaea and then wandered over to the Middle Eastern section of Pangaea -- by the time camels existed Pangaea no longer existed, although the continents weren't in their modern locations either. Camels ended up in their current location by migrating across the Bering Strait into Eurasia, in a reverse of how humans crossed over into North America.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I keep my butter in the fridge because in my part of Texas, during most of the year my house can't be cooled below 78 (try, and the air conditioner ices up) and butter melts on the counter. People routinely tell me this is impossible, because butter cannot melt at room temperature. Those people can gently caress themselves because I loving live here in real life and see it with my loving eyes

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

yeah I figured it was pretty obvious that I live in Satan's rear end in a top hat, since I gave my location

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

well, Ohio is also a hellhole, hope that helps

Texas is just a hellhole that's also as hot as actual hell

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

I cook pork to the USDA recommended temperature because pork tapeworms can colonize your brain whereas beef tapeworms can't.

That's 145 with a 3 minute rest period before you eat it. That's still going to be medium well, not a completely dry, leathery hockey puck

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Ermine is pronounced like ur-min. I've been pronouncing it like ur-mine my entire life.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

rydiafan posted:

I'm an American, and I've never seen "lede" in my life.
It's journalism jargon, not a popular usage, that's why.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

I have played classical music most of my life (as a hobby anyway) and I have never heard even the most nitpickiest of nitpickers complain that you can't call it classical music if it's not from the classical period. I'm pretty sure everyone recognises it's an umbrella term as well as a term referring to a particular period.

Unless I just learned that in the US they make that distinction?
When you're talking as a musician or about music theory, ie. not as a laymen, then there is definitely a distinction and classical music is specifically music from the classical period. In everyday usage amongst laypeople, any kind of music that's instrumental and uses symphony instruments is regularly called "classical music." I've heard this regularly from music majors all my life

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

cyberia posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a recent made-up term rather than some ~official~ dictionary-listed word and I hate it. It sounds so stupid, argh.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

I think the lack of rigid season dates is because there's nothing tied directly to the seasons here, they're just kind of a background thing. Hell, we don't even have an official harvest festival day which seems weird since it's such an agrarian country

Thanksgiving is a harvest festival

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

but they said they don't have rigid season dates where they are, in a conversation which began by noting that Australia has rigid season dates

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

they probably change the messaging at different times and places, i guess -- when I was a kid the imagery was 90% harvest (cornucopias etc) with 10% "pilgrims and stereotype indians" tossed in for garnish v(._.)v

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Powaqoatse posted:

It kindof is the same, but no worries. You're cool now that you realize that all proper nouns are different in all languages :)

please explain how the etymological relationship between Etruscan and Tuscany is really just the same as the political changes that led to Nieuw Amsterdam being renamed New York

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Heck in the mid 60s having fought in WW2 was just still as much of a dad thing as a grandpa thing.

yes dad fought in WW2 and grandpa was in WWI like the WWI flying ace portrayed by Snoopy.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I just realized that when Ricky Ricardo said Lucy had some splaining to do, or said she was specting when she was pregnant, that was hypercorrection because Spanish has a bunch of words that start with es that start with just s in English, like estupido.... or espaņol

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

please look up the Wikipedia article on hypercorrection, section: English as a second language.

quote:

Some English-Spanish cognates primarily differ by beginning with "s" vs. "es", such as the English word "spectacular" and the Spanish word "espectacular". A native Spanish speaker may conscientiously hypercorrect for the word "establish" by writing or saying "stablish", which is archaic.

That's exactly what I meant and I honestly don't understand your objection.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

rodbeard posted:

No they specifically weren't allowed to kiss because Desi wasn't considered white. The show's producer said to Lucy: "Nobody will believe you are married to this whop."

I Love Lucy is on CBS right now and Lucy and Desi just kissed on the lips; you're full of poo poo.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

rodbeard posted:

Yeah I saw them kiss in the commercial for the special. I guess the biography for the show was full of poo poo. I looked it up and the episode where they kiss was not rebroadcasted after the initial airing until 1989. Maybe people just forgot.

maybe they were told that early on; that episode last night was a later one. Sorry for wording my objection so harshly

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

people literally won't agree that the earth is round but tiggum still thinks consensus reality is a decent idea

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Isn't Pat Sajak the real "good morning Vietnam" guy? Or is that a myth? On mobile waiting to watch IW so :nallears: on effort.

one of them, apparently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Sajak posted:

He served in uniform as a disc jockey during the Vietnam War for American Forces Vietnam Network.[4] Sajak hosted the same radio show that Adrian Cronauer had, and for 14 months followed Cronauer's tradition of signing on with "Good Morning Vietnam!"[5]

e: but Cronauer is the one Robin Williams was playing

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

also Jerry Lewis and Jerry Lee Lewis are different people

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

That's incorrect. A false etymological history myth.

lol did you just string together language words to sound impressive

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

FAKE HISTORY STORY

lol it's not, though, people use it because it was a meme in the print journalism industry in the late 20th century, not due to any "etymology myth" like nobody's saying "it's spelled lede because that's what's historically accurate" but congratulations on using all of your vocabulary words for the week in one sentence i guess

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

these fools posting doge memes perpetuating a false etymology myth when everyone knows the proper spelling is dog

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Last time I went shopping for a fridge it was really hard to find one that didn't come with an ice maker. Like, Lowe's and Home Depot only stocked fridges that came with ice makers and it was really annoying because I didn't want to give up fridge space for something I'm not going to use because ice trays in the freezer are perfectly sufficient

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

The companies do not want you to get to speak to a person and every time the methods of bypassing the robot system get too publicized they start changing. A lot of places no longer automatically reroute you if you press 0 or if you ask for a person or if you cuss, which I can only assume is because people found out that that worked and started doing it all the time to cheat and get to humans and the companies don't want to actually pay for staffing by humans so they shut down that poo poo down when it gets popular

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

EvilGenius posted:

Also pro-tip that a lot of people don't realise - you don't have to wait for the IVR to stop talking before choosing an option. Just give it a second to process your key press and press the next option straight away if you know it.

not always true but it usually doesn't mess anything up if it doesn't work so you can try it

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Not sure but I think Eurasia includes Asia

dude you said only people outside of Eurasia would know dance dance revolution, therefore asians wouldn't know it so what is this comeback supposed to be arguing? I'm confused about your point

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

drat you for making me look that up.

Ursula Le Guin is a really good author and you should read her books and say thank you instead of drat you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Lady Disdain posted:

Video is called "footage" because film was measurable in feet.

and because every famous director has a foot fetish

(i "knew" this, your post I mean, but hadn't REALIZED it, so, poo poo, whoa)