Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The director Steve McQueen is not remotely the same person as the actor Steve McQueen. Also the actor Steve McQueen died in 1980.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Mister Macys posted:

I always thought this song was by David Bowie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah5iepUs_t0

Holy poo poo. I guess I never listened too closely, but yeah, I always thought this was from one of his '80s albums I haven't heard.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Max von Sydow, not Donald Pleasence, played Father Merrin in The Exorcist.

The video game Tactics Ogre has an exorcist named "Donnalto Pleasance" who looks like the Father Merrin character, and I don't know if that's a reference based on a misconception or what.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Until literally just now I thought "Mom's Spaghetti" was a real Eminem song that became a meme because it's memorably odd. I didn't know that it was a parody edit of Lose Yourself, or even intended to be funny.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Apr 8, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The person on the cover of Isao Tomita's Snowflakes Are Dancing, an album consisting entirely of arrangements of Claude Debussy pieces, is Claude Debussy.

Not Spock.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I'm honestly surprised no one has made a My Cousin Vinny reference yet.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The Golden State Warriors are not from Colorado.

California is the Golden State, because of the Gold Rush, obviously. gently caress.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
You lose the game if all the neighbors get killed. You have fewer and fewer to start with each level if they keep getting killed, instead of the same number in each level, every time.

Edit: This is also why I never beat that loving game.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Oct 26, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Chubby Checker is still alive.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The name Xavier is derived from the Basque Etxeberria, and isn't another "savior" name like Salvador or whatever.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The Philippines are not west of Thailand, around where the Andaman Islands actually are. I'm usually not an idiot in regard to geography and have no idea why I thought this.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Ambivalent does not mean indifferent, but having mixed or contradictory feelings, which in retrospect is obvious if you know a little bit of Latin and just look at the word.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Dross posted:

Unlike Moon, that is not his birth name.

Ian Donald Calvin Euclid Zappa.

But it would have been his birth name if the hospital had let Frank have his way.

quote:

Dweezil's registered birth name was Ian Donald Calvin Euclid Zappa.[5] The hospital at which he was born refused to register him under the name Dweezil, so Frank listed the names of several musician friends. "Dweezil" was a nickname coined by Frank for an oddly-curled pinky-toe of Gail's. At the age of five years, Dweezil learned that his legal name was different, and he insisted on having his nickname become his legal name. Gail and Frank hired an attorney and soon the name Dweezil was official.[6]

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
So which one's Mouse then?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I remember several years ago Sunsweet rebranded their prunes as dried plums to escape the prune stigma, or something. For whatever reason, it didn't stick.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Henchman of Santa posted:

“Didn’t know Jimi Hendrix was black” is a surprisingly common thing

I've posted this before, but I listened to a lot of classic rock growing up, and I knew Jimi Hendrix was black, but I thought he was British until sometime in my 20s.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
And nobody in the US knows any of their songs except Take On Me and maybe The Sun Always Shines on TV.

I'm kind of curious what bands had a long successful career in the US and are regarded as a one-hit wonder elsewhere—I can't think of any off the top of my head. Maybe Frank Zappa with Bobby Brown in some parts of Europe?

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Apr 19, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Similarly, Martha My Dear by The Beatles, though that's pretty well-known.

Actress/boob-haver Jane Russell did not die tragically young, and apparently I've been combining her and Jayne Mansfield into one person.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Walter Matthau was not a news anchor-turned-actor, and was in fact never a news anchor at all—I think I somehow combined him and Walter Cronkite into one person. I can't really explain this one, because I wasn't confused about who Walter Cronkite was.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The man next door in Massive Attack's "Man Next Door" is not "always a fussy fart." There is "always a fuss and fight."

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Sep 8, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

lobsterminator posted:

It's hard to hear it as "fuss and fight" even when I try. But I trust you're right.

I also didn't realize this was a cover, and the lyric is a bit clearer in the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKzG53ZuH5I

Maybe Massive Attack thought it actually was "fussy fart." :v:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Antivehicular posted:

Another important Santa fact imparted by my mom: if Santa comes to your house and he sees your toys everywhere, he'll think he already gave you your gifts and leave, so make sure your room is clean.

I was determined to not do the Santa stuff with my kid, because I'm still an angsty teenage atheist at heart, but I am honestly tempted now.

Apparently when I was a toddler and my mom told me about Santa, I got really frightened by the idea of some strange guy breaking into our house in the middle of the night, so my mom had to reassure me there's no Santa to calm me down.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I don't think I've seen it since I was a kid, but I was under the impression that Mickey's Christmas Carol was something Disney made in, like, the '50s. It came out in 1983. I thought it was the whole reason why Scrooge McDuck was called Scrooge to begin with, but the character predates it by almost 40 years.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

syscall girl posted:

uh

actually Scrooge was a comic character

From uh a while back

it predates duck tales

Oh, I know. I wasn't too confused about how old Scrooge McDuck is, but by how recent Mickey's Christmas Carol is. I'd just always assumed the Ebenezer Scrooge character from that was so popular he became Scrooge McDuck and then got his own comics, or something like that. It was the first thing I saw Scrooge McDuck in, one of the first Disney cartoons I saw altogether, and I was probably still a child the last time I watched the whole thing.

I also misremembered Mickey's Christmas Carol as being feature-length, and a much bigger deal in the Disney canon than it is—it's 26 minutes long and got mixed reviews.

Ommin posted:

So Scrooge McDuck was created in the 40's, based on the character from Dicken's novel but not a direct adaptation, then doesn't portray his namesake until 1983. :psyboom:
How have I never made this connection before? Wow.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Dec 27, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The wikipedia article on leaf insects/walking leaves had me briefly questioning my sanity when I read that they weren't found outside of Asia and Australia. I knew I'd seen them multiple times in... Missouri? Did I imagine that? Did I see them in a zoo at some point and construct a false memory? What the gently caress?

Yeah, what I saw were katydids—and despite looking like leaves, they're not "leaf insects." I didn't even know the word "katydid" referred to a specific family of insect—I thought it was a regional term for any kind of cricket/grasshopper.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Jan 30, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Pineapple plants are in the bromeliad family and when they flower they produce a cluster of dozens and dozens of thin pointy fruits which eventually merge together to form what we call a pineapple.

At what point is a pineapple considered ripe, anyway? I have never in my life encountered a pineapple in the grocery store as yellow/orange as the last two, but they've still been delicious.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Snapchat is not Chatroulette.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I remembered what Chatroulette was from the Chatroulette thread in GBS years ago, but misremembered the name as Snapchat. I only figured it out yesterday when a coworker was talking about going back on Snapchat, and he didn't seem creepy enough to be on Chatroulette. They're both internet things with "chat" in the name that I was dimly aware of and never interacted with. I'm 34 and already feel hopelessly old and out of touch.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Hyperlynx posted:

"The Road To El Dorado" and "The Emperor's New Groove" are two separate movies

I used to have this confusion with Treasure Planet, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and Titan A.E. Turns out there were at least three mediocre-looking early-'00s animated sci-fi films I had no interest in seeing.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

LadyPictureShow posted:

I always just assumed it was some heroic red-blooded rootin'-tootin' cowboy flick.

I think I had Butch and Sundance mixed up with 'heroic' types for decades.

Were you confusing this movie with Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, maybe?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Alternative pants posted:

I wish I still had the recording, but my high school matching band played Karn Evil as the first part and finale of our marching show my sophomore year. I was unlucky enough to be hit by a car a few weeks into the school year and got volunteered to sing the vocal part while dressed like an actual ring master in our circus themed show.

We also played a piece later that year called Godzilla destroys Las Vegas, so it was pretty hit or miss with music selections at my school.

Did they change the "seven virgins and a mule" line?

Edit: Semi-related, it was years before I realized the actual line in Happy Xmas (War is Over) is "Let's hope it's a good one, without any fear" and not "let's all watch some football and have a good cheer" due to elementary school choir.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Aug 15, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
My first exposure to Beck was the video for Mixed Bizness. I kinda hated the song at the time, and didn't give him a second look until I downloaded Odelay out of a feeling of cultural obligation... last year. :shrug:

And yeah, he's really good, and definitely not someone you can get a feel for from one or two songs. I'd somehow managed to avoid hearing Where It's At all these years, and it was like, oh, so this is that "I've got two turntables and a microphone" song people are always referencing. :haw:

Derelict was the track that hooked me, though.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Recent musical revelations, courtesy of Pandora:

That one really catchy '80s dance song I like that I've heard throughout the years and assumed was by INXS or someone is actually True Faith by New Order. In my defense, it really does sound more like INXS or someone than the band who made Blue Monday.

Ian Curtis did not have a solo career as a folk musician in addition to being in Joy Division. I was combining him with a completely different musician who died in a completely different decade—Elliott Smith. Yes, I know they sound nothing alike, but I'd never knowingly heard an Elliott Smith song before tonight, and I was never into Joy Division enough to know Ian Curtis didn't have any solo albums.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Every day I go into work during winter, I have to go around fixing the thermostats people have turned up to 85+ degrees because it is currently cold outside. Every loving day.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Talk Talk's first album (The Party's Over) is excellent, and I might actually like it the most of all their pre-Spirit of Eden albums. Nobody ever talks about it, and with Talk Talk's whole story being their gradual transformation from another synthpop group to awesome experimental post-rock, why wouldn't their first album be their worst?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I've been kinda lazy about dental health my whole life (brush once in the morning, then before bed if I remember to, floss if I notice I have something stuck in my teeth), and have never had a cavity. I've also never been in the habit of rinsing thoroughly after brushing because I liked having the minty fresh taste linger a while. I seriously wonder if that's the reason.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I'm mildly obsessed with mondegreens, and one of my favorite bands has a vocal and lyrical style that somehow results in my hearing every other line as something more bizarre than whatever they actually wrote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7dXeT0W-hk

If the opening line to this song is not "Her eye's gone, you discarded tumble-dog," I don't want to know what it is. Also, "No gecko, no mecko."

Edit: Not embedding the video, because I can't tell if the album cover is :nws: or not.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Mar 5, 2020

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
My dad's home screen on his phone, for multiple pages, is completely covered by duplicate buttons of his contact list and folders containing duplicate buttons of his contact list, and I have no idea how he does this.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

rydiafan posted:

This is the wrongest poo poo I've ever read in my life and I will not let it go by without being called out.

I can't imagine just straight up eating a green banana raw, but boiled green bananas are delicious.

http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/green_banana.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Hyperlynx posted:

Not so much "figured out" but found out, but: apparently, those water powered bamboo things in Japanese gardens - that fill up with water, tip over, empty out the water and go "clonk!" - are/were actually supposed to be for frightening away deer.

Did you also figure this out because of Animal Crossing?