Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

When i was a kid, my next door neighbors had the most awful children. One of them came over once with FTW scrawled on his forehead with a Bic. I asked him what it meant, and he raised both middle fingers and screamed "fuk th' worrrrrld!!!" Kid was like three, days-old boogers encrusted all over his face.

So yeah, FTW confuses me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'd say 85% of ordinary men have dry balls. Spit on them, slap some lotion on them, olive oil, Pam, whatever--moisturize your balls, gentlemen. I knew a farmer whose fingertips split open from a combination of wear-and-tear and chronic dryness; ball sacks are capable of doing the same thing, given sufficient desiccation. You might be taking a seat or trying to ollie off of a roof, and then bam, your nutsack splits in twain like a rotten banana skin and a bunch of mush and something that looks like Krang (from TMNT) comes slithering out.

Take heed to this cautionary tale, folx, mine shattered into thousands of pieces and just floated away like dust in the wind... I'm taking freeballin' to a whole new level, friends :c00l:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe Will Ferrell is a domesticated Ron Perlman?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

I watched a cartoon directed by him on Youtube yesterday and I was so loving bored because it was 3 minutes of things and 17 minutes of repeating blinking and drooling. I guess it was funny and novel in 1734 or whenever he was still relevant.

Bakshi or Kricfalusi? Because neither are relevant now.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

There's a New Mexico?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It may well last longer if you use the screwdriver because reversible belts are poorly constructed trash and the buckle inevitably snaps off sooner or later. I have never had one last even a year.

The belt I had was garbage in that the belt itself fell apart, like there was a layer of "leather" covering one side to make up the brown portion, and it peeled off in big scab-like flakes. That's what I get for being poor I guess.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I took a class in Greek and Latin roots my very first semester of college, and it's probably one of the best academic bangs for the buck I've ever gotten. If anyone has GRE/SAT/etc coming up, bone up on your classical roots and your ability to recognize vocabulary will increase dramatically.

I've found that kind of stuff to be helpful in teaching A&P to freshmen trying to get into the university's nursing program.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Also, the female backup singers who performed on One Of These Nights apparently only existed in my imagination. This was in fact the Eagles, and even though I've seen footage, it still does not seem possible they're hitting these notes.

Holy poo poo, call it folie à deux then because I must have hallucinated those women too.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I pronounce it as "et cetera", as in Peter Cetera

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

i think its just a shitpost, friends

the instead of to is probably autocorrect, metal is the shitpost part. everyone knows diamonds are a noble gas

Yeah, the hardest noble gas. Ever been hit with a cloud of diamond? Totaled my truck once when that happened.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

The shortcuts aren't only limited to text formatting. They also have more advanced/oddball shortcuts enabled, like just hitting ctrl+f4 when you're done typing your post, rather than needing to click preview and/or submit

Wait, I thought that was Alt+F4

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Knew what that was before I even opened it. Good stuff, heard that sample a million times in the late '90s; I wondered if Liam Howlett would have a career without it :v:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

sweeperbravo posted:

Martin Landau (RIP) isn't Walter Matthau (also RIP).

Fixed, but I hope I'm not the one breaking it to you

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

There was also the Dodge Rampage in the '80s. My grandpa had one, in Barbie pink.
linked because phone posting, sorry

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hyperlynx posted:

" 'Was killed?' A guy called 'Dimebag' didn't die of a drug overdose? What's Wikipedia say?..."

Holy poo poo :stare: . That reads like an action movie script. Funny name aside, that cop nailed the guy in the head while he had a hostage in headlock, using a shotgun.

My cousin was at that show, pretty close to the stage, he may have even been acquainted with Dimebag, I don't know. I think he's got a degree of PTSD from it, he started drinking more heavily since then and his marriage fell apart.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out:

om nom nom posted:

You are mistaken, it's pronounced "sword"

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Barudak posted:

All Middle Easterners, as far as the US Census is concerned, are white.

Not by 2020, I bet.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

There's also a conservative Catholic blogger named Matt Walsh (who is not comic actor Matt Walsh)

Yeah, I remember being so disappointed that someone so instrumental in the founding of the UCB could be that kind of an rear end in a top hat, but what a relief it was to find out that wasn't him.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

I'd just like to say I appreciated this.

edit: I mean, um, yeah, co-signed

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

My dad has always done it with actor names, and I'm positive he does it on purpose too.

That's part of the job description of being a dad.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

In Ohio:

• Berlin, with the emPHASis on the wrong sylLABle
  • Ghent, with a soft g
  • Lima, with a long i
  • Mantua, prounounced MANooway
  • Medina, with a long i
  • Toledo, with a long e

There's probably more that I can't think of at the moment. Then there's Worcester, but it's spelled Wooster :v:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

ArtIsResistance posted:

Hmph, kids these days won't have the same opportunities to learn typing that I did.

Selling lobs 250 each
Selling lobs 250 each
Selling lobs 250 each
Selling lobs 250 each
red: selling lobs 250 each
red: selling lobs 240 each

code:
a lad had jak salad

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

sweeperbravo posted:

My mom made fun of me when I was like 10 years old bc i told her excitedly about some cheat code in one of my game manuals where you could hold down sitrel and the arrow keys at the same time to make the character run.

ctrl

You're okay, Homer Simpson pronounced it k'tarl and he doesn't have the excuse of having been ten years old

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Where're all your Ä, Å, and Ö keys, not to mention the ½ key? :confused:

I like having a Compose key for that very reason, even if I don't need it so much as a dumb monolingual American (I'm trying to get better at español, okay? :shobon: )

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

The Compose key is something in GNU/Linux in which, when holding down a certain key (I usually set it to right Ctrl or Menu), you can type a character using a key combination. All of those moon letters, like å, ö, ø, ç, ñ, and so on are pretty easy to throw together (o+a, "+o, /+o, ,+c, and ~+n, respectively). Still need to know unicode inputs for things like Greek or Cyrillic characters, and there's still no n-with-umlaut for properly typing Spinal Tap :v:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

You mean their personal PIN number :smugmrgw:

Yes, my personal PIN identification ID number

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Dr Pepper just decided to be British.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Do people actually hate it though? I figured it's just regarded the weakest of a really good trilogy, but by no means is it hated.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’ll also defend the thematic choice of changing it from ancient artifacts and Nazis to aliens and communists to better suit the changing focus of pulp fiction in the era

Were there people complaining about the change from Nazis to Commies? Because that's only the most logical way to progress the story's setting anyway.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I just double it, subtract 20%, and add 32. It's not that hard. Just inconvenient if you've lived with Fahrenheit your whole life.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

As a scientist, it really rankles me to see people use the eszett in place of the lowercase beta in pertinent literature. Especially when they loving drat well know better.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What’s your opinion on mcg vs ug

μg, scrub

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

cyberia posted:

The word 'boatswain' is pronounced 'bosun'. I always thought they were two different things.

Similarly, coxswain is pronounced “cocks’n”. It’s meaningless to me because I’ve not heard the word once outside of the 1996 Summer Olympics, but there you have it.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Pookah posted:

Do they live together in the forecastle?

Slurping up Worcestershire sauce, sure thing

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Oh poo poo guys it’s HARE-oh-in, not heh-ROYN
gently caress

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

A few years later, though, I was very grateful for the glossary in my copy of Trainspotting.

I had to flip to that glossary so many times, but I thought it was worth it.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

When I was like four, I was reading with my mom [The Adventures of Egbert the Easter Egg if anyone cares], and I came across the word “vague”, and she kept correcting my pronunciation, but since she didn’t explain that the “-ue” was silent, I kept screwing it up, getting increasingly frustrated. She never did explain it.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

numerrik posted:

Lol! That goonsir is very funny.

Thanks a lot, [now I have to clean Mountain Dew off my keyboard/I actually didnt want to sleep tonight]!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Her name was Alexandra, she just switched from the Russian to the English short version.

On the other side of the coin, one of my father's brothers goes by Bob. It's not short for Robert, his birth certificate says "Bobby Joe [Baggins]." Grandma on the Baggins side was ... well ... a bit off. One of their other brothers is Arthur Jr. (and goes by his middle name because his dad's first name was also out of date at the time), she wanted to name him Oberon but was overruled by Grandpa. She still called him "Obie" till the day she died.

My grandpa wanted to name my dad William Bill. And he had a brother named Golden and a sister named Goldie. They were twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

fruit BOO!ts posted:

Which itself is a linguistic corruption of “Falk music” in other words music originating from somewhere along the family tree of Columbo actor Peter Falk.

Whose name is derived from a demonym, as his ancestors hail from the Falkland Islands