Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

We din't have a tv channel that played hey Arnold when I was a kid but sometimes if you climbed the tree outback you could see it through the neighbour's window.

I think this was the plot of an episode of Hey Arnold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Diagon Alley. Diagonally. *head explodes*

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Same but Dave Matthews and Bruce Springsteen.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't even know, I don't listen to the music of either of them but they play occasionally on the radio. One day one of their songs played and I was just thought "wait a minute, Bruce Springsteen and Dave Matthews are different people, who play different music, and are in different bands.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah I also know nothing about Beck for some reason. I just know he's a musician and there's probably a guitar involved somewhere

I was at the same level of Beck knowledge but then one day I was in the car with my wife and the beefcake pantyhose song came on the radio and I said "Oh hey it's the beefcake pantyhose song by the beefcake pantyhose band." and she said "You mean Loser by Beck?" and I was like "Woah."

Oh and also he was in a crappy Futurama episode.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

HairyManling posted:

Yes, it actually was. Sorry your taste is garbage.

I rewatched some classic Futurama recently and Just Figured Out that bender actually sucks real bad. (also 60s/hippy parodies)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jajajaja is pronounced like hahahaha (at least in non-meme form) because J is pronounced like H in Spanish.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How is "strong flavour" not 100% the same thing as "tasty"? If they meant strong bad flavour they would've said so.

Carrots were originally raised for their greens (they're still good, try them!), so I'd assume the root didn't taste any good if people weren't eating it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Playing through Ghost of Tsushima today, I learned from the resource collection menu that a "bowyer" is an actual thing: someone who crafts shooting bows.

Somehow I never consciously ran across this word outside of the badguy in Mario RPG, I've spent a majority of my life vaguely thinking his name was some sort of inexplicably poorly-translated pun on Bowser :blush:

It still works as a pun on Bowser!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Continuing my Ghost of Tsushima dumbness, I just now learned (after beating the game) that Tsushima is an actual island, and not the made-up location inspired by some real-world analogue I assumed the whole time. :eng99:

I think the version in the game is almost entirely fictional apart from being an island that the Mongols invade.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

For the longest time I thought "carrot and stick" referred to a carrot on a stick. I thought "well I guess the stick prevents you from getting the carrot but this metaphor still doesn't really make sense to me".

I think I was confused because in visual depictions of the metaphor the carrot often IS on a stick, and the stick referenced in the name of the metaphor (that you beat your horse with) is often omitted entirely. Here's one that shows both. (as a bonus it will make you think big thoughts about society)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

But like they are so wrong tho? And they have never heard about Teddy Roosevelt saying "wtalk softly, and carry a big stick" tho?

"Walk slowly and dangle a big carrot from a stick, while carrying a separate big stick in your other hand" iirc.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

When non-goons mention Johnny 5 they're not talking about Johnny Five Aces :eek:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

credburn posted:

I understand that "monkey cheese" is shorthand for that kind of random comedy that was really popular in the 00s. Didn't realize until now it's a reference to an actual cartoon, created by James Rolfe. Makes perfect sense. Ugh, I hope that guy didn't turn out to be a huge poo poo; I haven't paid any attention to him in quite a while but I recall reading that he was a really decent guy.

Random rear end anecdote: I bumped into him at the Portland Retro Games Expo a year or two before COVID. Literally bumped into him, we apologized to each other, and I said I recognized him from somewhere. He asked if I could remember where, and I couldn't, and we started a short kind of banter, but before we could talk more, a dozen folks identified him and swarmed us, begging for selfies. It was kind of unfortunate; he was clearly on his way out when we collided, but he was super gracious and happy to stop what he was doing to take selfies and sign things.

I think "monkey cheese" humor came from kids watching media characters like Ed from Ed Edd and Eddy, who used a lot of non-sequitur humor and were big in the late 90s-early 00s, and trying to copy them without really understanding what makes them funny. Since their audience was also a bunch of kids it often worked even if the material kind of sucked. I got some big laughs with monkey cheese humor around, I want to say, 1999. Then when their tastes got a bit more refined (say 8th graders vs. 6th graders) they'd look back and say "wait this material is actually pretty bad".

Kids have some intuition for comedy so when selecting "random" words they choose things like monkey and cheese that have associations with fun and zaniness rather than, say, bottle or deer.

I don't think there was a singular progenitor of monkey cheese humor, I'd assume the term was coined by an observer to describe it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

credburn posted:

I remember "purple monkey dishwasher" being a funny thing, but can't remember where it came from. Simpsons?

I remember not monkey cheese but the phrase "cheese monkeys" getting a lot of play when I was in 6th grade. Sounds similar to "cheese eating surrender monkeys", which was also from the Simpsons. Looks like someone did eventually write a book called The Cheese Monkeys.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I always thought El Greco was a weird name/epiphet for a Spanish painter but never really considered why he might be named that. Turns out he was born in Crete. Thanks, crossword puzzles.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

"Renumerate" isn't a word.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Some people actually do get stomach pain when eating spicy food. Sometimes it even stings their buttholes when coming out the other end. I've never had either experience with spicy food so I guess I just assumed people were exaggerating to drive home how gnarly they think spicy food is, or perhaps playing on the whole stupid Mexican food = stomach problems trope. In my defense I never thought about it very hard until the other day when the waitress at a hot pot restaurant gave me the "white guy ordering the Szechuan broth" spiel and I conferred with my fellow diners.

on a related note maybe there really are people who get diarrhea every time they eat Taco Bell. hosed up if true.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

run on sentience posted:

I get this all the time and as annoying as it is, I get why they feel the need to do so. I'm sure there are a ton of white Karens of every gender ordering way beyond their spicy comfort level then complaining or leaving bad reviews.

Someday I will be served Thai food that is satisfactorily painful on its own. Until then, there is chili oil.

Yeah, it's annoying but I can't blame them since I'm sure they've had guys who look like me order something they can't handle and start shouting at them or demanding a refund or whatever. it wasn't even that hot

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

People who think "spicy" means "hot as in scovilles" are useless.

Sometimes words have multiple common meanings, this is a weird thing to have trenchant opinion about.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Everyone knows bats are the spirits of children who died without being baptised cursed to roam the night and torment the living until the apocalypse when they will be judged and finally receive some rest.

Judged on how well they tormented the living? Do they get into super heaven if they give a toddler rabies?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I was staying at a hotel recently and, given the opportunity to watch some actual TV with commericals instead of just streaming stuff, realized why Elemental flopped so hard. Its target audience all saw this McDonald's commercial which makes the main characters seem unspeakably lame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EakvPIAeCcs

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Did Pixar really have to give the fire woman a dump-truck rear end?

It's from all the milk and apple slices.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The phrase "double down" was created by Kentucky Fried Chicken 2010, and by 2021 uttering that phrase had officially replaced baseball as the national pass time. If you think it was originally a blackjack term that's just the Mandela effect.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This is proof that Euler just made math up, everything before him is just fake math history. Pythagoras was just a weird cult leader who thought triangles look neat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Purple trillium posted:

The UK and US have opposite rules for a quotation that ends a sentence. US puts a full stop within the quotation marks and UK puts it after.

Joe said “meet me in the square at noon.”

versus

Joe said ‘meet me in the square at noon’.

I feel like everyone in the US does it the UK way anyway because it looks neater. I stopped correcting it when proofreading stuff ages ago.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You know that Family Guy joke where Peter is Scrooge and Cratchit says "but sir, what of Tiny Tim?" and Peter says "bah, he and his ukulele will go wanting."

It's not a monkey cheese random joke. He's referencing the musician Tiny Tim of Tiptoe Through the Tulips fame. I have no idea why I had a sudden moment of clarity re: this throwaway joke from a show I haven't watched in years, but there you go.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Tiny Tim got proto-canceled in the mid 80's for singing "This year, Santa Claus has... The AIDS!"

My mom had him as a passenger when she was flight attendant and said he really creeped her out. I've never asked for details.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gnoman posted:

There's a lot of bad information out there. Peasants didn't just sit around and play on their "holidays" (which is mostly a list if the veneration days of the various saints, most of which were observed only in areas where that saint in particular were venerated), they had crops and animals to tend. Tending said crops and animals was not a trivial task, generally being sunup to sundown work, and if you didn't do it every day you'd start losing them.

The analysis that peasant life was actually pretty easy comes from looking at the times when peasants were required to pay labor to their lord (which was their rent payment for the bit of land they famed, actual coin didn't circulate much) and assuming that it was their primary labor for the year. Mostly because most people today have no conception of the amount of labor needed for day-to-day life in the age before most of it was handled with machines.

I love this fat-cat peasant meme that has been making the rounds in recent years. It's like people saw media like Monty Python's Holy Grail where peasants were constantly covered in poo poo and died of old age at 26 and ran it way too far back in the other direction.

Just imagine how much work the women of a household had to put into making all of the family's clothing using spindles and primitive looms. I wonder what amount of their waking hours that occupied.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can only imagine his life was an endless hellscape of weekly "Mondays, amirite??"

You don't actually need to be named Garfield for this.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This

ISN'T "Handsome Squidward".

This

is "Handsome Squidward" (with torn clothes)

The first is some even handsomer form. I don't know if it has an official name but I propose "Adonis Squidward" or "Handsome Squidward God Handsome Squidward". I think about Handsome Squidward a lot but it had probably been a decade or two since I actually watched the episode.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The low five predates the high five by fifty years

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_five

Now that you mention it I have a hazy memory of a probably racist Looney Toon where a black guy says "give me some skin, brother" before doing a low five.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Wait, grognard isn't the name of like a funny little ugly goblin creature or something from the game??? Holy poo poo

Well that's American education for you

You must have slept through your class's grognard unit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phy posted:

Thing I just realized: those are wrinkles to the sides of Squidward's eyes, they're not Chuck Jones-style eyelashes.

It's not my field so I don't know how extensive the literature is, but I did find out last year or so that there was a study that determined crocodiles can and do play.

Actually Squidward is an octopus and octopuses don't have eyelashes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Guy Fieri was born Guy Ferry

This makes that annoying little hiccup TV personalities do when pronouncing his name even more annoying :argh:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Speaking of Smashmouth, All Star isn't the chicadee china the chinese chicken song.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You know those weird looking ubiquitous mail trucks that are driven by the USPS and no one else ever? They're manufactured (or were, don't think they're still making them) by Northrop Grumman.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just realized I didn't know what the Chinese and Japanese words for "emperor" were, which strikes me as a bit odd considering they come up pretty frequently in history discussion. Anyway

Chinese: Huangdi
Japanese: Tenno

I had actually heard Huangdi before, but I thought it was just the name of the mythical first emperor, I didn't realize the real ones also called themselves that. If you said "Tenno" to me I'd have thought you were talking about Warframe.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

one of my favorite jokes in the series

I think it took me like 20 years after seeing that joke to learn that "TS" is actually a thing people allegedly say and "tethered swimming" wasn't just some totally arbitrary weird and bad thing they came up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Recently realized it's "I wish that I had Jessie's girl" not "I wish that I was Jessie's girl". I kinda just never actually listened to the song when it was on the radio.