Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Jail and prison mean the same thing (over here anyway, I think they’re slightly different in the US) but jailer and prisoner are opposites.

It's term and who runs it.

In the US and Canada a jail is for awaiting sentencing, and shorter sentences. In the US it's run by some local authority, like the county or the city in a big enough one (For example Riker's Island is a jail run by NYC, not a prison.) In Canada they're run by the province.

A prison is for longer term. In the US that's the state or federal, Canada federal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I've never understood how that "lefty loosy right tighty" mnemonic is supposed to be helpful. Instead of memorising that and also remembering that you're talking about the direction of the top of the circle rather than the bottom, why not just remember that counterclockwise loosens? Neither one is easier to remember than the other.

Because it's supposed to be for kids.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

An easy way to remember is that port is left and starboard is right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A port of a game is usually worse than the original, and left handed people are like worse versions of normal people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Because you let the printer advertise a wireless network, you connected to it sometime in the past to print something, and your phone still has that particular wireless 'network' configured. If you let your phones attach to the "best" network, it's going to flip over to that stupid ad-hoc network you let your printer run when it sees a stronger signal.

- Remove the config for that network from your phone
*also*
- Turn off that ad-hoc bullshit on your printer. Either hook it into your network using a cable or set it to be a supplicant only and attach to your home WiFi.

TLDR: That wireless printer is the hot-dog to your phone

Not if it’s an iPhone which will cling to the weakest useless WiFi until it goes 100% undetectable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The "Ye" in Ye Olde is just pronounced "The".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not written with the ß much anymore, but the name (and also just word, it means white) Weiss/Weisz is a common one you'll see that has it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A modern french door fridge with an ice dispenser and/or water tap is usually wider or taller than the space an older house will have for a fridge.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I used to think ice and other "drink accessories" (hydroflasks, fridge filters/dispensers, mio, all that poo poo) were overrated

Hydroflask is just a brand name of water bottles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a fine cut from the pork part of the cow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not true.

In France maybe, but not always in French.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No that's snails.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's phrased like my post but I don't $10 care enough about my own account, nevermind others.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We speak French here and it's beef.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The dictionary definition of moot is the opposite of moot.

Many dictionaries now literally say literally doesn't mean literally.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blackguard is "Blagard"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most folks'll never lose a toe
But then again, some forecastle
Like Cletus, the Slack-Jawed Yokel

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

John Lee posted:

Hey, I know a dude from Canada, and he only knows Canadian Bacon as the sad ham.

So apparently 'real' CB is a lost art even in some places in Canada.

No, it just doesn't have that name in Canada.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How dare you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Manfred Mann has a lisp so it actually does sound like douche. Plus his version changed the lyric from “cut loose like a deuce” in the original Springsteen version so the rhyme there is gone too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But they have the company logo and "Amazon Ambassador" in their name?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This conversation is literally killing me

I don't mind that use because it's just hyperbole for emphasis.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So you freaks call it a drott horse?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shifty Nipples posted:

Questionable etymology itt. Again.

None of this is etymology.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

When I hear “gaming room” I think parcheesi, cards and what not.

When I hear “game room” I think of heads on walls and other taxidermy horrors. Like big game trophy room

Hmm...

Hunting trophies were the anime statues of the early 20th century.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ugato posted:

I can guess what I’m supposed to see but I don’t see it at all.

Does this help?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

Rings are on the wrong side 0/8

It's upside down.

~~Magic!~~

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's no tears as in crying, but what they mean obviously is once it's on their head if some drips into a baby's eyes (babies don't really have that blink to defend your eyes response for a while) it's not supposed to sting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Saoirse Ronan doesn’t pronounce her name quite like it’s meant to be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Memento posted:

Is it not SER-sha? That's what they were calling her on the Graham Norton show last night.

To add to that: I had an argument with my English(!) teacher in Year 9 about how to pronounce the name Siobhan. I might not know how Saoirse is pronounced but I know for a fact there's no one named see-OB-han in the world.

Saoirse Ronan is ser-sha, yeah. I saw her on Conan or Colbert or something where she said how to pronounce it, and mentioned Irish people always tell her it’s wrong.

So both are right depending on if you mean the actress, or the name in general.

Also there are absolutely See-ob-hans now. People see it spelled but never spoken and like how they think it sounds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheMaskedUgly posted:

People pronounce words differently to other people sometimes for reasons

Proper nouns have actual correct pronunciations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apple's now doing what Microsoft did but their market share is still small enough that it's okay, I guess?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, and I assume the reason nobody cares for now is because Android's market share is significantly higher (like 80 to 20 last I read?)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not like I'm having my knives personally forged.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bell jar posted:

A plastic knife is only 2 molecules away from the margarine its spreading

drat that's pretty sharp.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Low level rogues need gear too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You shouldn't, they paid death squads to exterminate villages.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

What the gently caress kinda place does this instead of using a cross?

What the gently caress direction is a lowercase T?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I'm guessing that they can't put a cross on the sign due to trademark laws, but I don't understand how a giant H is supposed to be more clear than just making a sign that fuckin' says "HOSPITAL".

You ever had a sign made? You gotta pay by the letter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Since Mary is a name it could be pronounced like Merry or Marry too though depending on the person, or even like Marie if you and/or your parents are monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the song Stan kills himself and his girlfriend because Eminem doesn't answer his letter.

So it started as a way to call people that kind of crazy obsessed. Now people use it positively.