Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

snoremac posted:

That explains quite a bit, particularly Vega just showing up without much of an intro.

Playing HR, like it a lot except for the black woman rifling through trash who speaks like a racist's idea of what a black person speaks like. I wondered why the treatment of augs in MD was obviously a metaphor for racism while racism itself didn't exist. HR has the racism, but not how I might have expected it...

...Also, I wish David Sarif would stop being such a dick. He was very nice in MD.

Probably because he wasn't voiced by a literal crazy person in MD.

Poor guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Novel is blah blah blah Jenson wakes up in the alaskan clinic/aug prison and goes to detroit to find some enemy, eventually meets up with his future employer and busts the enemy's gun running scheme on a train. Tsundere IT Worker Francis has a loft in an old theatre or something?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Alchenar posted:

At least there's almost certainly another Splinter Cell game on the way.

How? I thought Tom Clancy passed away recently

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Gyshall posted:

How? I thought Tom Clancy passed away recently

Tom Clancy stopped writing years before he kicked. Much like Madden, his name is a brand utterly divorced from the dead man.

And it really says something that his ghostwritten poo poo was even worse than his post-coldwar/9-11 poo poo.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

snoremac posted:

Playing HR, like it a lot except for the black woman rifling through trash who speaks like a racist's idea of what a black person speaks like. I wondered why the treatment of augs in MD was obviously a metaphor for racism while racism itself didn't exist. HR has the racism, but not how I might have expected it...

It was actually the voice actor's idea for the character to speak like that, according to the dev commentary. It wasn't intentional and I don't think they were being mean spirited. No one said "do your best Auntie Fee style routine" but that might have been the issue. The devs used native Chinese speakers to speak conversational English in DXHR and should have directed Letitia better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

At least the dev commentary node there was just "yeah we really hosed up with this, sorry". The commentary was poorly implemented but I liked how honest they were at admitting faults.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, if we wanna talk about racist voice acting in Deus Ex games, HR and MD have nothing on DX.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So let me guess this straight.

Final Fantasy XV is worth the trouble, and they're going to fix a bunch of things to be an enjoyable(er?) experience.

Buuut Deus Ex: Mankind Divided get's a limp dicked experience, and Hitman is separated by seasons, and Tomb Raider is separated by Rises and falls and recoveries of the Tomb Raiders

am i getting this right?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

Final Fantasy XV is worth the trouble, and they're going to fix a bunch of things to be an enjoyable(er?) experience.

Buuut Deus Ex: Mankind Divided get's a limp dicked experience, and Hitman is separated by seasons, and Tomb Raider is separated by Rises and falls and recoveries of the Tomb Raiders

am i getting this right?

Squeenix.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fargin Icehole posted:

am i getting this right?

They also expected the original Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider to cover their own dev costs and be insanely profitable enough to save the sinking mobile division.

SQuareEnix are very much about making the Japanese side of the business look good, and drat the profits.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

aniviron posted:

I mean, if we wanna talk about racist voice acting in Deus Ex games, HR and MD have nothing on DX.

All of the terrible Hong Kong accents where credited to voice actors with east-Asian sounding names. I'm not sure whose idea it was to use racist 'chinglish' from the 50's, theirs or the devs'.

Also, David Seriff is supposed to be a dick, he's a minor villain in how he forcibly got Jensen's limbs chopped off. I'm actually surprised there's not a bigger payback sequence regarding that in HR.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 22, 2017

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

David Seriff always sounded like your friends dad who awkwardly tried to hit you up for weed connections

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Serspliff

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

am i getting this right?

The Eidos side of Square-Enix is absurdly poorly managed, yes. Although I wouldn't include Hitman on that list, Hitman being episodic sounds like an idiotic thing that some suit cooked up but then it accidentally turned out to have been the best move available for the game because feedback could be given for each level so later levels would turn out better and nobody really cares about story in a Hitman game, so long as the environments and varied ways to carry out hits are intact. Less excusable is the always online requirement for Hitman though.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Hahaha I assumed the thread title must've been a line I missed in DX. Even for Jensen that was cold.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

snoremac posted:

Hahaha I assumed the thread title must've been a line I missed in DX. Even for Jensen that was cold.

I don't remember him saying that. When does it happen?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

When you go to the hostage mission at the beginning of HR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRC9A-tEB-Q

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Grand Fromage posted:

When you go to the hostage mission at the beginning of HR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRC9A-tEB-Q

It's a bit later, when you find the internment camp.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

snoremac posted:

It's a bit later, when you find the internment camp.

Oh yeah you're right. I haven't played it in a while.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rest in peace big rizzle

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rest in peace big rizzle

Yeah, RIP

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fargin Icehole posted:

am i getting this right?

To be fair tomb Raider is performing okay by their standards and I hear a third game is under works. That's more than the number of deus ex games we've gotten since the ps3 generation.

Also hitman was actually Hella awesome in the season package. They're already working on a season 2 as well.

Deus ex has been getting the worse of all the square/edios stuff. It literally has no prospects right now.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ineffiable posted:

To be fair tomb Raider is performing okay by their standards and I hear a third game is under works. That's more than the number of deus ex games we've gotten since the ps3 generation.

Also hitman was actually Hella awesome in the season package. They're already working on a season 2 as well.

Deus ex has been getting the worse of all the square/edios stuff. It literally has no prospects right now.

At least Human Revolution was a hit, what about Gex? We need a hard boiled Gex reboot.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Deus Gex.

Lizard people is the next logical step in the Deus Ex conspiracy anyway.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

snoremac posted:

Deus Gex.

Lizard people is the next logical step in the Deus Ex conspiracy anyway.

Hot drat, this is money!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

I'm going to be really pissed if the new Tomb Raider series gets sidetracked because they spent all their money on Final Fantasy bullshit.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm going to be really pissed if the new Tomb Raider series gets sidetracked because they spent all their money on Final Fantasy bullshit.

Good news for you then, the people making tomb raider are getting side tracked by the same thing side tracking Deus Ex! And it's not final fantasy! It's The Avengers.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

The minimap in HR is a joke. I feel like I wasted two praxis on vision cones and noise indicators since the former are almost invisible and I've never seen the latter at all. It's also too far out, so when there's a bunch of soldiers in one place it's a mess of grey icons. The upside is that it makes the stealth more tense I guess.

If anyone remembers: at the Tai Medical place there's a scientist inside a shaft who's fallen to his death with an ebook next to him, but I couldn't drop down because I don't have Icarus boost. Is it worth tracking back for before leaving? I'd go back if he had a praxis.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ah poo poo the whole marvel initiative might take the tomb Raider team too?

Well I guess we'll find out at e3, I'm sure there's going to be some kind of tease there. No point in speculation until e3, I feel.

But hey we've gotten a lot of great games easier this year, that should help hold us over to see what's coming at e3.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

If anyone remembers: at the Tai Medical place there's a scientist inside a shaft who's fallen to his death with an ebook next to him, but I couldn't drop down because I don't have Icarus boost. Is it worth tracking back for before leaving? I'd go back if he had a praxis.

It's possible to stuff some of the small boxes outside into the vents and then use those to climb up a vertical shaft leading to the dude. I don't remember if there was a Praxis or not in there.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
As much as I liked MD it's pretty clear the devs didn't really know what made the original game good. They somehow interpreted systems driven gameplay and open ended design with, shoot, sneak, hack. Vents. Vents everywhere. Despite people loving the globe trotting aspect of the original and Human Revolution, they decided to create a huge, intricate, incredibly boring hub world that you gotta go back to again and again instead of going on cool missions. You spent very little time in hub areas in the original. Like, there's nothing to fucken do in Prague. Break into dude's houses and read his emails and steal his painkillers. How many times do I want to do that, exactly?

They got the stealth wrong. Most modern games get stealth wrong to be quite honest. I really don't see how it's enjoyable to somehow have this one guy telegraph my position to everyone in the drat base.

Also what was up with the weapon sound design? Every gun sounded like a pop gun.

Enough has been said about the writing and the general plot. It wasn't great, but it did provide enough of a reason to infiltrate a bunch of places.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

snoremac posted:

That explains quite a bit, particularly Vega just showing up without much of an intro.

...Also, I wish David Sarif would stop being such a dick. He was very nice in MD.

The novel doesn't really introduce that many people. Vega is the main one and it shows how Jensen got involved with interpol. That's it.

It also continues the authors tradition of hating Gunther. Dude has gotten his rear end kicked in both his deus ex books.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Soulfucker posted:

It's possible to stuff some of the small boxes outside into the vents and then use those to climb up a vertical shaft leading to the dude. I don't remember if there was a Praxis or not in there.

I actually tried this but couldn't figure out how to stack the boxes with myself positioned correctly to hop on them. I ended up travelling back there anyway - there's just a tranquilizer rifle.

I've done two boss fights so far and have had to abuse saves like crazy. I'm playing in Give Me Deus Ex and these fights are pretty ruthless. Especially since I've killed nobody outside of them and usually don't carry lethal weapons.

It's good the game's less generous with praxis than MD and that you can't spam invisibility as much to sneak past a bunch of guards. The stealth is quite great, even if the minimap sucks.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 23, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

No praxis, but you get the both the ebook XP and pathfinder XP, so it's a good hunk of one. Plus you get an access card for later in the level.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I just reached Shanghai for the 2nd time - how much longer is the game approximately? I'm getting bored, though it could be because I'm playing it right after the three other games and have reached peak Deus Ex. (This is not the Director's Cut btw.)

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
You're at about 2/3, if I remember right. After the second trip to Hengsha there's two more locations to visit (not counting the Missing Link content you won't have since this isn't the directors cut).

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
nevermind, I was about to say there's more than that, but apparently I'd forgotten that montreal was much earlier in the game than I thought. Yeah, 2 more jeticopter rides left

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think that MD missed a golden opportunity (A ton of them, actually) to not have us go to Africa.

Compared to Prague where there are tons of Euro Augs there, it would have been neat to see Jensen walking around in some blown out badlands and also the nicer parts of St. Petersburg//Egypt as this weird, super out of place bone white aug demon, where people just cross the street to avoid him and that might have even lended the smallest bit of self-awareness to their mechanical Apartheid idea...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Prague was great though; the environment design improved a ton from HR. And it's not like Bohemia is a place we visit that often in vidya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I did like Prague just fine but I felt super weird about Adam's place in it. Compared virtually every other Aug, Adam is a visually striking individual. Wikipedia tells me that he's 6'1, 187 lbs... but that HAS to be pre Augs. I mean assuming full body carbon fiber nanotubes I could see him weighing around that, but he seems much taller than everyone around him and I always assumed with his robo-hooves he'd sit around 6'6ish.

My point is he is clearly not your Run-of-the-Mill Aug and the way the jackboot cops in this game constantly scream at him just kind of robbed me of that sense. Jensen's character is at least in part defined by the reflections we get through other people. His shades are a visual metaphor, he puts them on when he needs to be the Augged-up badass people believe him to be, and the guilt-ridden pensive detective comes out when you see his big brown doe-eyes. I never get the sense that anyone in MD is scared of him, even though he's visually stunning & unique, and his reputation is either as a one man slaughterhouse or an implausibly silent ghost man.

Sometimes I feel like, for fun, I could do a 20-30 minute YouTube video on just how close MD comes to being a truly landmark gaming experience hamstrung by a small number of design decisions (and obvious corporate interference) and I've done voiceover work in the past so I feel like I could do it justice... but it's hard to love something keeps punishing you for wanting to like it.

• Locked thread