Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bust Rodd posted:

I did like Prague just fine but I felt super weird about Adam's place in it. Compared virtually every other Aug, Adam is a visually striking individual. Wikipedia tells me that he's 6'1, 187 lbs... but that HAS to be pre Augs. I mean assuming full body carbon fiber nanotubes I could see him weighing around that, but he seems much taller than everyone around him and I always assumed with his robo-hooves he'd sit around 6'6ish.

My point is he is clearly not your Run-of-the-Mill Aug and the way the jackboot cops in this game constantly scream at him just kind of robbed me of that sense. Jensen's character is at least in part defined by the reflections we get through other people. His shades are a visual metaphor, he puts them on when he needs to be the Augged-up badass people believe him to be, and the guilt-ridden pensive detective comes out when you see his big brown doe-eyes. I never get the sense that anyone in MD is scared of him, even though he's visually stunning & unique, and his reputation is either as a one man slaughterhouse or an implausibly silent ghost man.

Sometimes I feel like, for fun, I could do a 20-30 minute YouTube video on just how close MD comes to being a truly landmark gaming experience hamstrung by a small number of design decisions (and obvious corporate interference) and I've done voiceover work in the past so I feel like I could do it justice... but it's hard to love something keeps punishing you for wanting to like it.

I would like and share your video and subscribe to your channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Aleph Null posted:

I would like and share your video and subscribe to your channel.

Yeah this sounds like something worth watching/listening to.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I'd watch it, Big Rizzle

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That does indeed sound like a topic that could be covered extensively.

There are a few people who do comment on Jensen's unusual appearance though, some cops IIRC look at him and sort go "Oh poo poo I bet you're involved in some heavy stuff, I won't hassle you just move on"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
OK, I can start scripting, I already have OBS Studio and both games in my steam...

I'd be spending a few minutes talking about Art Direction, Gameplay Mechanics, Character Development (LOL) and Story apiece. I can't quite summ up my feelings on the music in MD yet other than to say "This game has music?" I think HR really had something that MD is definitely lacking in the audio department, but saying "your dystopian cyberpunk soundtrack lacked soul" seems wrong.

Then the next part would probably be inferred corporate intercession followed up with anything I can find online to support it, and then i'd close with the changes I'd make, because that seems maybe the most skippable part to me. Ideally I'll land at the 12-15 minute mark when fully edited and without me talking Yahtzee fast

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bust Rodd posted:

OK, I can start scripting, I already have OBS Studio and both games in my steam...

I'd be spending a few minutes talking about Art Direction, Gameplay Mechanics, Character Development (LOL) and Story apiece. I can't quite summ up my feelings on the music in MD yet other than to say "This game has music?" I think HR really had something that MD is definitely lacking in the audio department, but saying "your dystopian cyberpunk soundtrack lacked soul" seems wrong.

Then the next part would probably be inferred corporate intercession followed up with anything I can find online to support it, and then i'd close with the changes I'd make, because that seems maybe the most skippable part to me. Ideally I'll land at the 12-15 minute mark when fully edited and without me talking Yahtzee fast

Make sure you yell, swear, or use a weird baby voice so YouTube will pick up your channel for YouTube Red.

Edit: please, God, don't do this.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

aniviron posted:

That does indeed sound like a topic that could be covered extensively.

There are a few people who do comment on Jensen's unusual appearance though, some cops IIRC look at him and sort go "Oh poo poo I bet you're involved in some heavy stuff, I won't hassle you just move on"

The cops don't do that though. They just assume he's another aug with robot limbs, start to hassle him like they do with all the other robbit people, then they look at his "papers" and see he's an orange-level uber-badass walking tank and proceed to crap themselves to get out his way. Sarif's stuff is extremely high end, and as was mentioned a lot of work was done to make Adam be able to pass as relatively normal.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Aleph Null posted:

Make sure you yell, swear, or use a weird baby voice so YouTube will pick up your channel for YouTube Red.

Aug. Guy: Rest in peace, Big Rizzle.
Adam: So long, gay Bowser!
*cartoon eye bug, air horns*

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Finished HR. I had a better time with the original and think MD improves its systems and has better sidequests, but it's still some quality Deus Ex. My favourite story moment was the private investigator sidequest where the PI acknowledged what I thought was lovely characterization as being Jensen losing some of his humanity due to Sarif's meddling. What's interesting is that at the very start of the game Jensen's a bit of a joker with Megan and lacks the trademark coldness. I do like how he still gets sassy with Pritchard sometimes. They're a fun duo.

I just started Missing Link and I'm genuinely intrigued by the mystery of how Jensen ends up back in the box, since right now I'm nowhere near the box! That it takes place in the inconspicuous transition between the Shanghai dock and Panchaea is weird, unless it really was intended to be part of the main story? I know it's part of it in the Director's Cut, but it must feel a little hamfisted, since it would grind the story to a halt. That's assuming it doesn't tie into things somehow, I dunno.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

snoremac posted:

I just started Missing Link and I'm genuinely intrigued by the mystery of how Jensen ends up back in the box, since right now I'm nowhere near the box! That it takes place in the inconspicuous transition between the Shanghai dock and Panchaea is weird, unless it really was intended to be part of the main story? I know it's part of it in the Director's Cut, but it must feel a little hamfisted, since it would grind the story to a halt. That's assuming it doesn't tie into things somehow, I dunno.

Hamfisted is a really good word for it. I love the Missing Link - like any good expansion, it fixes and improves systems in the base game - but the 3-5 hours it adds just kills the pacing of the HR story. After Hengsha 2 you find the scientists and Megan and after that it's dealing with Darrow at Panchea, a pretty good arc for the climax of the story. ML adds a whole lot of sequel bait that isn't addressed.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

3Romeo posted:

Hamfisted is a really good word for it. I love the Missing Link - like any good expansion, it fixes and improves systems in the base game - but the 3-5 hours it adds just kills the pacing of the HR story. After Hengsha 2 you find the scientists and Megan and after that it's dealing with Darrow at Panchea, a pretty good arc for the climax of the story. ML adds a whole lot of sequel bait that isn't addressed.

Yeah, from the Detroit riots onward the plot moves very quickly, and the riots feel like the beginning of the end. I'm kinda glad I'm playing this self-contained.

Irrelevant question: How do you beat the final boss in HR if your security rating is below 4 and you can't hack the security hubs? I didn't see any other way.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

A random thing that annoyed me in MD was when you'd buy from AND sell to a merchant and they'd chastise you as if you didn't buy anything, as if the AI was set to chastise you if the selling exceeds the buying.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

snoremac posted:

Yeah, from the Detroit riots onward the plot moves very quickly, and the riots feel like the beginning of the end. I'm kinda glad I'm playing this self-contained.

Irrelevant question: How do you beat the final boss in HR if your security rating is below 4 and you can't hack the security hubs? I didn't see any other way.

I'm guessing you don't have the laser rifle? I had that going in so I was never even aware if there were objectives to defeat her.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I used the laser rifle to kill her! Can you do that without having to kill the precogs?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

snoremac posted:

I used the laser rifle to kill her! Can you do that without having to kill the precogs?

As far as I remember yeah but it's been years now and I played vanilla so :shrug:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

snoremac posted:

1) Use laser rifle to shoot Zhao through the glass

2) If you win the conversation battle with Darrow, he gives you the code

3) Kill the women (don't feel bad, they're begging for death)

4) I *think* if you hammer on Zhao's barrier enough with explosives it goes down. Not sure here

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I only learned late that you can drag soldiers over to laser grids to deactivate them. Neat.

Gotta say, Jensen's knockout ability is either too powerful or too frequently available. I never really try for these kinds of achievements but I managed Pacifist and Factory Zero on Deus Ex difficulty with little drama.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah the first game didn't really get the balance right. It was much, much easier to play a pacifist or nonlethal than to run around guns blazing and get mowed down in three seconds. Like, don't make the 'nice' option also be easier.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

poisonpill posted:

Yeah the first game didn't really get the balance right. It was much, much easier to play a pacifist or nonlethal than to run around guns blazing and get mowed down in three seconds. Like, don't make the 'nice' option also be easier.

I found I used my usual stealth until ambush approach ideal in the first half of the game, then going guns blazing for the second half both easier and more appropriate as I was dealing with less sympathetic enemies and had more power. This is true in every DX game I've played.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, that's the other strange thing about DX in general. You can cold bloodedly murder civilians, kill cops for getting in your way, or shoot PMC assholes in self defense, and the game basically shrugs and says "Yeah." Like, MD did the best job of at least having a throwaway line now and again recognizing if you'd stealthed the cops but were okay killing terrorists, but the game as a whole seems unconcerned with the distinction.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

poisonpill posted:

Like, MD did the best job of at least having a throwaway line now and again recognizing if you'd stealthed the cops but were okay killing terrorists, but the game as a whole seems unconcerned with the distinction.

I didn't kill anyone in Mankind Divided and the game still treated me as though I had. It felt like there were quite a few flags failing to get set in that game - like the shopkeepers giving me their "We've never met before" speech no matter how many times we'd met before.

There've been quite a few patches since then, but I'm not sure if they fixed anything or were just hooks for DLC or Breach garbage.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Gort posted:

I didn't kill anyone in Mankind Divided and the game still treated me as though I had. It felt like there were quite a few flags failing to get set in that game - like the shopkeepers giving me their "We've never met before" speech no matter how many times we'd met before.

There've been quite a few patches since then, but I'm not sure if they fixed anything or were just hooks for DLC or Breach garbage.

I fought there, but I imagine its the same if you ghost the train station to get the data. The scientist still probably remarks about the fight and the TV later probably still says the police there were assaulted by an aug.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I just ghosted it a few days ago; there's a newspaper story about the police "losing" the DSD and you explain to the desk girl and smiley that it wasn't a problem to get in and out.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I ghosted the train station because I didn't want to Ice T to some dude just doing his job but later during the martial law wasn't so careful and the game reacted really well. Even just people asking Adam what happened and having him do that arm cross while he justifies killing people is totally worth the effort taken to put it in.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Yesterday I heard Jensen narrating a Lexus commercial on the radio. Made me so sad.

Picked up the DLCs to cope and I'm pleasantly surprised by how well-featured they are. If the series wasn't being shelved, I'd have been perfectly happy with them dropping more episodes of this quality in lieu of a new game.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

It's in our Nature to want to rise above our limits. Think about it. We were cold, so we harnessed fire. We were weak, so we invented tools. Every time we met an obstacle, we used creativity and ingenuity to overcome it...We can become the gods we've always been striving to be.

Lexus.

The relentless pursuit of perfection? I never asked for this.

E: did Jenson keep his genitals? I need answers and I need them now

poisonpill fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 27, 2017

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

poisonpill posted:

I'll admit to childishly speculating when the doctor goes "He doesn't need that!" in the intro to HR.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

poisonpill posted:

Apparently yes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Michael McCann's tracks on the MD soundtrack are pretty fly, as expected, but (and I feel so sad for saying this) Sonic Meyhem's were pretty tame at best and actually aggitating at worst. Like for some reason in quite a number of his tracks there's this distorted, super slowed down voice that sounds like it belongs in an obnoxious 90's DJ Shadow remix but instead they jump out like a sore thumb.

There's a lot of aspects to MD that they had no business getting wrong but they did anyway. :mad:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I know the art director says that but in the beginning of MD when Jensen has showertimes you can pretty clearly see that the augmentation goes a fair way past his waist and even part of his abdomen. So unless he has robo-genitals or the doctors carefully removed them and then reattached them to the metal bits later (and wow that would look weird) then there's no real other way for that to happen.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
They were one of the hidden augmentations that Orlov added.

Illuminati just wanted to hook the dude up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

aniviron posted:

I know the art director says that but in the beginning of MD when Jensen has showertimes you can pretty clearly see that the augmentation goes a fair way past his waist and even part of his abdomen. So unless he has robo-genitals or the doctors carefully removed them and then reattached them to the metal bits later (and wow that would look weird) then there's no real other way for that to happen.

That's his bionic muscle attachments around the pelvic girdle, I think we can assume the squishy bits are intact.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it would be cool if Augs without physical junks hacked each other to feel good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like Koller definitely had a peek under the hood when Jensen was unconscious.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Encountered a game breaking bug in Criminal Past where you can't interact with anyone. After restarting and going back multiple saves to no avail, I was ready to drop the game for a long while, but first decided to shoot up the prison yard to blow off some frustration.

But that death screen with Delara saying "You didn't die, Adam. Go back and tell me what really happened" was hilarious. Since the whole thing is supposed to be a recounting of events, all I could imagine was Jensen in her office blandly saying "Yeah and then no one would talk to me so I started shooting them all and then I loving died."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Der Luftwaffle posted:

But that death screen with Delara saying "You didn't die, Adam. Go back and tell me what really happened" was hilarious. Since the whole thing is supposed to be a recounting of events, all I could imagine was Jensen in her office blandly saying "Yeah and then no one would talk to me so I started shooting them all and then I loving died."

Oh, that reminds me of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. The conceit you find out is that you're recounting the story, and the same 'and then I fell off the tower and loving died. No, wait, that's not what happened.' hilariousness occurs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge invented that particular trope.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I just revisited Deus Ex: Invisible War of all games after not touching it for years and years. The game is still not brilliant, but what I did find interesting is that while Human Revolution and arguably, Mankind Divided are better games than Invisible War, they seem to have borrowed more from that game than the original. Even down to the questions of augmentation and modification and the main villains of IW and HR preaching about how transhumanism is leading to the downfall of mankind (unless you choose to side with them at the end) and both Adam and Alex are genetically modified to provide the DNA template for augmentations to be compatible with others worldwide.

It almost feels like Human Revolution is a redo of Invisible War, despite being a prequel to the original two games than anything.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I'm doing an electronics project (not for school just to teach myself this stuff) and I'm looking for interesting lighting objects within the Deus Ex universe. Stuff like desk lamps, ceiling lighting, etc. Deus Ex's lighting design has always impressed me and I've decided to make one of the lighting objects - either to scale or in miniature. Mentioning this here since if any of you are still playing it and notice something you think is cool, maybe you can screencap it and post it up here or PM me with it. I'm also wandering around in the game myself and watching streams to find something cool but it's a big world (especially since I'm interested in either HR or MK objects).

An example of what I mean by the interesting lighting/art design:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

VelociBacon posted:

So I'm doing an electronics project (not for school just to teach myself this stuff) and I'm looking for interesting lighting objects within the Deus Ex universe.

Grab the Director's Cut of Human Revolution and listen to the commentaries, they tell a lot about the engine and worldbuilding.

• Locked thread