Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

SelenicMartian posted:

All three PS2 Ace Combats have annoying emulation issues. They might get fixed in the future since the graphics plugin coder has made a comeback.

Yeah I've been wanting to play at least 5 again but the emulation issues that it has is sorta discouraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
There's been several people here who have tried and failed to finish Ace Combat LPs, it's sad.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Casualty posted:

There's been several people here who have tried and failed to finish Ace Combat LPs, it's sad.
However HAWX with its one decent mission (the demo mission) got finished.

Raptor vs. Helicopters!

video 23.1

And more of that other series. Don't leave your home without a penetrator.

video 23.2
video 23.3

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Your points about the problems with the design philosophy of aimStrike! are spot on. They really don't seem to have thought it through well.

I think the developers of Lethal Skies had ICBMs described to them through a particularly long game of telephone. That might also explain the hideous helicopters.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

EasilyConfused posted:

Your points about the problems with the design philosophy of aimStrike! are spot on. They really don't seem to have thought it through well.

I think the developers of Lethal Skies had ICBMs described to them through a particularly long game of telephone. That might also explain the hideous helicopters.

Eh, I don't think you make that many missions with the exact same format (take-off, long flight to mission area, short burst of excitement, long flight back, landing) without it being deliberate. It's a sim, perhaps not as detailed as something like in the DCS series where you can flip every switch and push every button because its on a console with a controller, but a sim nonetheless. And parts of sims are long stretches of nothingness because that's what happens.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Nothing like some mellow blues when ///HELLA GUITAR RIFFS AND ACTIONNNNN///

I was not braced, suffice to say. This looks cool. Pitty you have no fine throttle control. May you ride on twin Penetrators and wing boomboxes into heaven, Lethal Skies II.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

And more of that other series. Don't leave your home without a penetrator.

video 23.2
video 23.3

Watching these videos made me extremely sad that there haven't been any serious efforts to do a Macross sim-type game that focuses on cockpit views and fiddly dials.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I don't think I mentioned it last time SelenicMartian flew too close to a helo, but that is why in modern military air doctrine helicopters are to be engaged at a distance with missiles.
Back in the '70s the USAF ran a series of exercises (J-CATCH) to better explore the role of helicopters in a modern conventional theatre, including experimenting with close-ranged combat between jets and heloes: turns out that when a jet gives aup its range andvantage, helicopters are extremely deadly. So after trying a few different scenarios with different rules of engagement for each, it was determined that a jet should never get close, since that would mean giving up most of the advantages that would make such an engagement a more one-sided affair.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 23, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

radintorov posted:

I don't think I mentioned it last time SelenicMartian flew too close to a helo, but that is why in modern military air doctrine helicopters are to be engaged at a distance with missiles.

Back in the '70s the USAF ran a series of exercises (J-CATCH) to better explore the role of helicopters in a modern conventional theatre, including experimenting with close-ranged combat between jets and heloes: turns out that when a jet gives up its range andvantage, helicopters are extremely deadly. So after trying a few different scenarios with different rules of engagement for each, it was determined that a jet should never get close, since that would mean giving up most of the advantages that would make such an engagement a more one-sided affair.

Wow, I would NOT have expected that result either. 5-to-1 in gunfights, yikes!

I was going to ask if look-down shoot-down radars or lack thereof would have affected the results, but it looks like most of the fighter aircraft involved in the testing had that, so...did they ever rerun the experiment with, say, Apaches vs. Super Hornets or with 21st century radars and weapons?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 23, 2015

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

I was going to ask if look-down shoot-down radars or lack thereof would have affected the results, but it looks like most of the fighter aircraft involved in the testing had that, so...did they ever rerun the experiment with, say, Apaches vs. Super Hornets or with 21st century radars and weapons?
I don't know if they ran a similar test recently with more advanced aircrafts, but from what I've read of J-CATCH the USAF had their jet pilots intentionally fly close before engaging, at least during Phase 3. In the later phases they increased the engagement ranges for the F-15s, and the casualty rate for the heloes increased significantly, but again the Eagles would still have to engage from relatively short-range after visually identifying the target.
Do note that they could still detect and engage them from way farther, but the ROEs were so that they had to get in close, just not as close as before.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Even more helicopters!

video 24

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SelenicMartian posted:

Even more helicopters!

video 24

Granted, they are pretty nice lakes. And there's five of them!

edit Holy poo poo this is a boring video about a loving FIGHTER JET. The audio distortion is cool though.

HOLY poo poo IT'S STILL BORING

AAAAA

editedit

HOW LONG IS THIS VIDEO

editeditedit

I imagine now the audio distortion is the emulator it's self getting bored too

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 25, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I consider the distortions to be the narrator burping.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Always wear your titanium undies

video 25

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
"One Big Family" a heartwarming tale of an F/A-18 couple and their children. A Hallmark Channel original picture.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
When I saw this article, the first thing I thought of was you, SelenicMartian.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

TapamN posted:

When I saw this article, the first thing I thought of was you, SelenicMartian.
“The helmet was too large for the space inside the canopy to adequately see behind the aircraft.”
:downsbravo:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

All the wrong holes.

video 26.1

video 26.2

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Well, thanks for the LP, SelenicMartian.
Like your Strike Fighters 2 LP, it was pretty informative and an enjoyable watch.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
The "MiG-35" has one of the sillier NATO reporting names: Mig 1.44 "Flatpack"

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Davin Valkri posted:

The "MiG-35" has one of the sillier NATO reporting names: Mig 1.44 "Flatpack"

It was pretty sweet in Ace Combat 5, though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I dont blame you.

What's next on tap?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Casualty posted:

It was pretty sweet in Ace Combat 5, though.

It has extra wings, therefor it is better than planes with fewer wings.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Great LP, looking forward to the next one.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

While this trip is still in the queue for the archives watch the F-35 fire live ammo out of its gun for the first time. In June 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFoJ93Kb5z0

I really hope the duct tape is just for testing and not for keeping it from falling apart.

Also, I cleared Lethal Skies 1 & 2 on the console (can't throw the save to the emulator), and they are not quite as full of BS as the Internets claim. The lack of missiles does come into play a few times, but the gun is overpowered. Oh, and as I recall you can carry the Penetrator as the centreline pod on the A-10 in LS2. LS2 also has a Harrier with a functional hover mode. LS2 also has incredibly badly translated plot dumps and briefings all the way through the game.

Funny thing, Ace Combat Infinity has this special mission called Moby Dick, where you have to kill a huge bomber by taking out the engines from behind, the turrets from above, and the cockpit from the front.
Guess what, Lethal Skies 1 has a mission called Moby Dick, where you have to kill a huge bomber by first taking out its engines from behind, then the turrets on its top, then you shoot out hatches in the nose and in the rear. Then you have to shoot the core inside the plane, and you can either try to do it head on, or come up from behind and fire an AIM-120 so that it not only flies into the bomber and almost all the way through it, but also misses a sliding armoured door on the way.

It's all very spectacular and much less bullshit that the boss walkers that have the weak point on their belly, so you have to fly at <50m AGL and aim between its legs after expending half of your ordnance just to make it stop.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
In other recent news, the F-35 has finally been declared combat ready. Well, the F-35B. 10 of them, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes, thanks for this LP. Flight sims seem like a pretty neat-fitting niche for you, especially since you also follow actual plane news. Looking forward to whatever your next production is.

• Locked thread