Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Oh nice, a new SelenicMartian LP that covers a flight sim and it's one that I actually own. :neckbeard:

Kitfox88 posted:

Holy poo poo, they're actually trying to do a legit sim on a PS2. The balls on these guys. :psyduck:
And they did a surprisingly good job at it too. aimStrike! was a surprise when I got it way back when on my PS2.

Edit:
one note about the HUD and the TOS/ETA is that there are indicators that show the waypoint intended altitude and the speed needed to have the ETA coincide with the TOS. For the most part the cockpits are all well-modelled with the exception of the way the RWR works.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Voting for the 2A intercept mission.
And the F-16 (and the other planes that don't have a digital number readout) actually has HUD indicators for the suggested speed and altitude: the small < > arrows on the speed and altitude ladders are the ones. :eng101:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Soup Inspector posted:

Since I am exactly the sort of bore who finds this stuff interesting (:spergin:), how does the aircraft know this? I'm presuming it's preloaded into the avionics prior to flight.
Well, with my post I was commenting on how the game handles this, not real life itself, but from what I recall from when I used to fly BMS and DCS: A-10 the waypoint information is loaded into the flight computer using an external data cartridge, and the pilot can also add and remove steerpoints at will; the altitude can also be set manually or use the loaded map data to set it at ground level (which is useful with ground attack missions, obviously) and the flight computer can tell the pilot the estimated time of arrival on the HUD.
I don't recall it giving you the airspeed you want to get there on time if you set a ToT, though.

Hopefully SelenicMartian or someone else more knowledgeable can answer this better than I can. :shobon:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
One neat little touch, even though I believe it's only cosmetic, is that when you locked up a target, you could see the radar switching into TWS mode with the reduced scan cone.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
It probably won't win, but I'm voting for the F/A-18 because twin engines > single engine. :colbert:

Edit:
keeping my vote, but that is a very convincing argument
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

radintorov fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 26, 2015

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Ah, yes. Scenario 4-2A.
I honestly cannot blame you for doing the other scenario. :v:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
5B and I'm tempted to ask that we get the Super Hornet for it, but I have to see you make a vertical carrier landing in the F-35. :D

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I don't think I mentioned it last time SelenicMartian flew too close to a helo, but that is why in modern military air doctrine helicopters are to be engaged at a distance with missiles.
Back in the '70s the USAF ran a series of exercises (J-CATCH) to better explore the role of helicopters in a modern conventional theatre, including experimenting with close-ranged combat between jets and heloes: turns out that when a jet gives aup its range andvantage, helicopters are extremely deadly. So after trying a few different scenarios with different rules of engagement for each, it was determined that a jet should never get close, since that would mean giving up most of the advantages that would make such an engagement a more one-sided affair.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 23, 2015

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

I was going to ask if look-down shoot-down radars or lack thereof would have affected the results, but it looks like most of the fighter aircraft involved in the testing had that, so...did they ever rerun the experiment with, say, Apaches vs. Super Hornets or with 21st century radars and weapons?
I don't know if they ran a similar test recently with more advanced aircrafts, but from what I've read of J-CATCH the USAF had their jet pilots intentionally fly close before engaging, at least during Phase 3. In the later phases they increased the engagement ranges for the F-15s, and the casualty rate for the heloes increased significantly, but again the Eagles would still have to engage from relatively short-range after visually identifying the target.
Do note that they could still detect and engage them from way farther, but the ROEs were so that they had to get in close, just not as close as before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Well, thanks for the LP, SelenicMartian.
Like your Strike Fighters 2 LP, it was pretty informative and an enjoyable watch.

• Locked thread