Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hello friends (and buell riders). I have decided to plan out a few trips this summer to do some sweet motorcycle camping. I haven’t been camping in a long time though so I need a gear refresh. Probably you guys do too! Or have suggestions! Cool!

The old subthread got archived! There's still a lot of cool information there though! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3463653&pagenumber=1

I’ve also heard there’s significantly less mailboxes out in the mountains and forests. Safer.

Here’s my bike setup so far. A tail rack, a rotopax gas tank and a nelson tail bag.
I’m thinking of adding side racks but that would require more bags which are expensive as hell.

Stuff you probably need for camping:

-Tent

Pitched tents and camping hammocks seem to be the standard fare here. Personally I’m leaning towards camping hammocks as I really enjoy hammocks. Hammocks. Modern tents are probably pretty good about size these days, so you can actually tote along the poles too.

I’ve been looking at Hennesey Hammocks http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock
They seem really nice, but also pricey. Anyone have testimonials or substitutes?

-Sleeping Bag

I’ve heard that a good down sleeping bag is really all you need to stay warm. Obviously these are all rated for different temperatures so buy accordingly. I think in GA a 20+ will suffice just fine for our warm summer nights. Not sure about brands though, compact size would be the primary need here.

-Food

Hilariously enough, I like the idea of buying a case of MREs to tote around to camp sites rather than looking for restaurants near the destination/bringing canned food. Worth a try at least once anyway, hahaha.

-Clean Water

People seem to love the heck out of those little Jetboil/Biofuel stoves for boiling water on the fly. You can also get those life straw things if you’re going somewhere remote or purifying tablets. I forget what the deal is with these though, probably you have to check other stuff like ph levels or some other nerdy poo poo. I’ll probably just bring a couple liters of bottled water and then drink my piss if that runs out.

-Lights

Lights are pretty useful, a flashlight or at bare minimum some chem lights will probably a great bit of help for when it *surprise* gets dark. Never know when those mailbox fuckers will sneak up on you all quiet like.

-Extra Clothes!

I'm told that synthetic clothing is the best since it dries out very quickly and also is decent at keeping you warm. Makes it easy to wash and re-wear for extended trips! I don't know if poop stains come out very easily though.

Stuff you probably don’t NEED but might be cool:

-Survival tools (knife/hatchet/gun)

These are things I guess. Knives are never bad in the wild I suppose. Bear Grylls taught me that.

-Silverware

Indians love eating with their hands I’m told. I’m lazy, I’ll probably steal forks and spoons from chipotle.

-Fishing tools

Fishing is loving rad, bring a telescopic pole and mini tacklebox

COOL STUFF

Please pay your camp sites and keep them clean and stuff!

Also make suggestions for this OP either in the form of items, tips and product brands!

Razzled fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Reserved for sick survival tips, bear grylls love you girl

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nothing better than some motocamping. Looks like you have a good plan.

Don't worry too much about water. You'll be stopping every couple hundred miles for gas (and every 50 for your rear end), and every gas station has potable water. Take a couple nalgenes, fill them at your last stop and you'll have plenty overnight for cooking, eating and washing pots if you go beyond MREs. Plus if you're camping at anything above backcountry sites, public or private, they all have water.

20+ bag is good. I get a little cold even in the summer in my 40, but I mostly go north.

If you have a stove and pot and don't want to eat MREs get these things: http://www.knorr.com/product/category/245876/pasta-sides or their rice versions. Half of them taste half decent. You actually don't even need to heat them, throw them in a nalgene with water and they'll be edible in a few hours. But that's disgusting.

Is that tailbag waterproof? If not get a cover or at least throw all your clothes and sleeping bag in a garbage bag before you put it in there. Nothing like wet clothes to ruin a trip. A small drybag and a bungee net is a good way to carry a sleeping bag, too.

Whiskey. Don't forget whiskey.

Where you going?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Plastic bags. put your clothes in plastic bags in case your luggage leaks. When you start getting funky you can put your dirty clothes in a plastic bag to keep them away from your clean clothes. If you camp somewhere without garbage services you can wrap your poo poo up in a plastic bag and take it with you.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

ought ten posted:

Nothing better than some motocamping. Looks like you have a good plan.

Don't worry too much about water. You'll be stopping every couple hundred miles for gas (and every 50 for your rear end), and every gas station has potable water. Take a couple nalgenes, fill them at your last stop and you'll have plenty overnight for cooking, eating and washing pots if you go beyond MREs. Plus if you're camping at anything above backcountry sites, public or private, they all have water.

20+ bag is good. I get a little cold even in the summer in my 40, but I mostly go north.

If you have a stove and pot and don't want to eat MREs get these things: http://www.knorr.com/product/category/245876/pasta-sides or their rice versions. Half of them taste half decent. You actually don't even need to heat them, throw them in a nalgene with water and they'll be edible in a few hours. But that's disgusting.

Is that tailbag waterproof? If not get a cover or at least throw all your clothes and sleeping bag in a garbage bag before you put it in there. Nothing like wet clothes to ruin a trip. A small drybag and a bungee net is a good way to carry a sleeping bag, too.

Whiskey. Don't forget whiskey.

Where you going?

First trip is just a little baby trip to test the waters, I'll be going to Unicoi State Park in helen, GA. The next one will be a little bit longer as I go to Deal's Gap with my dad and camp along the way.
Good point about the tailbag, it's not waterproof but it has a raincover that I can put on it while not riding.

And yeah, I'll prob store a couple trash bags just in case, eph

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for making this thread. I'm really trying to get some moto camping in this year.

Razzled posted:

-Sleeping Bag

Currently using a Grizzly Micromummy bag + sleeping pad underneath. If you aren't using a hammock it's a good idea to put something between your body and the ground. The inflatable one I have rolls up into the size of a soda can.

Razzled posted:

-Lights

Lights are pretty useful, a flashlight or at bare minimum some chem lights will probably a great bit of help for when it *surprise* gets dark. Never know when those mailbox fuckers will sneak up on you all quiet like.

A headlamp is all I ever take camping unless I'm in a car at a campsite. Compact and bright enough.

Most of my gear was purchased to be lightweight and compact for backpacking trips. I can write up full reviews on some other things when I have time.

Also mailbox, replace that broke rear end tent image with something cool like this

I'm actually going camping in a few days...without my motorcycle :(

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 8, 2015

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Fleece sleeping bags are a great option if you live in a warmer climate, or you can use 2 blankets.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Stratus-Fleece-Sleeping-Bag/dp/B0009PUQM8

This is also going to be my summer of moto camping.

Luckily a lot of the ultralight stuff that is out these days translates really well into motocamping and there are plenty of sub 3 lb tents, and ultra light bags out there.

Also here are some info on some homemade ultralight stoves if you're interested in building an alcohol stove.

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

Minkee fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 8, 2015

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Razzled posted:

Here’s my bike setup so far. A tail rack, a rotopax gas tank and a nelson tail bag.
I’m thinking of adding side racks but that would require more bags which are expensive as hell.

Not sure where your line is for expensive as hell, guy who owns 3 motorcycles, but this tail/side bag system looks pretty cool for a DRZ or dual sport type bike and comes in significantly under buying a rack and side cases, which is usually closer to 800-1000 for the ones I've looked at. Their pannier system is 600 and you still need a rack which is probably minimum 200, those cool square hard cases from Trax that you see on the side of every GS are like 800 just for the side cases, still need a rack.

Razzled posted:

I’ve been looking at Hennesey Hammocks http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock
They seem really nice, but also pricey. Anyone have testimonials or substitutes?

I got an A-sym hammock from them something like 10 years ago. It's really comfortable and would probably work pretty well in Georgia or anywhere you have trees and you aren't going to camp below freezing regularly. The a-symetrical system lets you lie completely flat in the hammock which makes it really comfortable without spending a fortune on your sleeping pad. If you're going to get into hammock camping you want to make some different choices with the rest of your gear. Standard mummy bags don't work nearly as well in a hammock because you flatten all the insulation in the bottom and then you freeze as the wind whips across your uninsulated rear end. If you're going to camp below 50 degrees you probably want to pick up an underquilt or something similar. There're also instructions for modifying old sleeping bags you might have into a working system if you do some googling. If I had to buy a hammock today I'd look pretty seriously at the blackbird or ridgerunner by the same guys. Not any cheaper than the Hennessy to be fair but I think they're doing cool stuff with their design and have a neat system for 4-season hammock camping.

For solo moto-camping I think a hammock is perfect, they set-up/tear-down incredibly fast with something like the snakeskin system from Hennessy, I think I could have my hammock up in a couple minutes if I wasn't expecting rain. The other side of it is that all of the super light aspect of hammock camping is a little pointless on a motorcycle. You aren't hiking your gear anywhere so you could totally go for a tent and cot setup which'd be really comfortable, but cots that breakdown well and fit on a motorcycle are a little pricey. I think if I were planning a long term motorcycle camping trip I'd probably do tent/cot/chair/table just so that I'd have a bit of a home away from home while camping. If you're only going to be doing weekend type trips I think a hammock is perfect as it offers a lot of comfort for the price/size.

You also didn't mention chairs. If you're hammock camping you can actually turn your hammock into a reasonably comfortable chair, but if you aren't you should definitely bring a chair. I ordered this Helinox Knock-off but it hasn't arrived yet. The REI version and the actual Helinox are both pretty comfortable when I sat in them and break down pretty tiny. I have the standard cheap/heavy/huge outdoor chairs for car camping at the moment.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

Not sure where your line is for expensive as hell, guy who owns 3 motorcycles, but this tail/side bag system looks pretty cool for a DRZ or dual sport type bike and comes in significantly under buying a rack and side cases, which is usually closer to 800-1000 for the ones I've looked at. Their pannier system is 600 and you still need a rack which is probably minimum 200, those cool square hard cases from Trax that you see on the side of every GS are like 800 just for the side cases, still need a rack.
Been following mosko since they started up on advriders, I have the 40L side panniers and mounting system and love them, the whole design is really nice. I'm sure that the reckless is similarly designed and durable

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Gillingham posted:

Been following mosko since they started up on advriders, I have the 40L side panniers and mounting system and love them, the whole design is really nice. I'm sure that the reckless is similarly designed and durable

I'm kind of torn between Mosko's panniers and the Trax side cases. The soft bags are really nice from a weight/profile standpoint but the Trax cases could double as tables when I'm off the bike :v:. Also more legitimately having a flat surface on top means it's really easy to strap things like tents and chairs and poo poo with long poles to them. How well does the whole MOLLE thing work for attaching stuff to the Mosko panniers? Don't have any experience with it really.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So on Hennessy Hammocks; http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/special_sale/

They're having a combo sale on the insulation systems for the asym zip. That seems to be a pretty attractive bundle-- if it works like it's supposed to. Do you know anything about that Skymall?
Thanks for help!

And yeah, I'm mostly going to be doing weekend trips for now. I'm sure as I get more into it I'll plan out more grand trips to places farther away, but for now I desperately need all of my PTO time hahaha

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Razzled posted:

So on Hennessy Hammocks; http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/special_sale/

They're having a combo sale on the insulation systems for the asym zip. That seems to be a pretty attractive bundle-- if it works like it's supposed to. Do you know anything about that Skymall?
Thanks for help!

And yeah, I'm mostly going to be doing weekend trips for now. I'm sure as I get more into it I'll plan out more grand trips to places farther away, but for now I desperately need all of my PTO time hahaha

I do actually own the super shelter system, but I didn't use it that much. I got the hammock and went off camping with it and loved it, then had a pretty miserable night where it was in the 40s in the mountains and immediately got the super shelter system. I then never went camping with my hammock when it was cold enough to warrant the super shelter system again cause I'm an idiot who lives in Texas and impulse buys things. I still had the second layer on there and I think I've stuck spare clothing in there on occasion, which worked pretty well. The system set up pretty easy when I tested it and there's no reason it wouldn't work well in colder weather, even in the 60s/70s the second layer blocks some of the wind from hitting you directly. The main issue I had without it was the wind blowing across the bottom and having a double layered hammock fixes that. If you do go Hennessy I would go for the zip over the classic. I have the classic which is a bottom entry velcro system. The velcro isn't awful or anything but I'd have gotten the zipper entry if it existed at the time. The other nice thing about Hennessy is the free snakeskins, those really make setup/teardown a breeze.

I actually camp in a tent now since I'm married and I couldn't sell my wife on the his/her hammocks setup. I'm going on another long trip at the end of the summer though and should bring the hammock for that, going pretty far north so it should get cold enough to finally use my super shelter appropriately even.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Seconding what M. Night has said about the Hennessey, and hammock camping in general. I have the Hennessey Explorer, velcro bottom entrance. To me, it is the ultimate motocamping shelter because of the lack of poles, weight and size when packed, and ability to pitch almost anywhere without needing level ground. I would highly recommend testing your setup for a few nights first. If you are camping in 50 degrees or under you absolutely want an underblanket. I made the mistake last summer of going deep into the Canadian bush for a fishing trip and did not bring an underblanket. Luckily, I had packed a couple extra fleece blankets that I was able to rig up with some jigs and fishing line. I then packed my extra clothes in between the makeshift underblanket and the bottom of the hammock for extra insulation. After that I was snug as a bug. The underblanket adds weight and mass (the $ ones don't, much) but with a good underblanket you don't need to bring a mummy bag with you, just a top blanket. So, the packed weight and size is negligible. The super shelter system is nice but is really for very cold camping, for trapping all your body heat within the hammock.

My makeshift Canada setup:

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

I'm kind of torn between Mosko's panniers and the Trax side cases. The soft bags are really nice from a weight/profile standpoint but the Trax cases could double as tables when I'm off the bike :v:. Also more legitimately having a flat surface on top means it's really easy to strap things like tents and chairs and poo poo with long poles to them. How well does the whole MOLLE thing work for attaching stuff to the Mosko panniers? Don't have any experience with it really.
The other upside to soft bags is while these are rated at 40L you can fit a suprisingly larger number since the roll top can expand as well as the bag itself, plus the beavertail and stuff attached to the molle/on top. Only real thing I have on the molle is the large molle bag which I generally use for big bottles of beer instead, seems to work pretty well and secure, even if you don't use it as a molle it also serves a nice place to just attach a carabiner too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcHwbzu6eI0 is a prototype video but it's a pretty good explanation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsYkimd8dFk is a newer video'

*edit*
After watching that second one, I think I want to buy one of the new accessory pouches, that water nozzle setup seems perfect

Re: hammock chat, jelly because most of my camping is desert where you can't really use a hammock.

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 9, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I bought a kelty tl3 last week to use for moto camping, which I'm going this weekend. :3:

Other things that I usually drag along for moto camping:

mini-jumpbox and fix-a-tire poo poo(a tube), a spare fuse, and tire spoons, few wrenches.

First aid kits too.

Softbags own for hauling poo poo. you can stuff the ever living gently caress out of one, where as a hard case all I do is play tetris till I'm pist then strap things to my fenders, helmet, back, ankles, rear end, etc.
spouses bike has softbags on it and they own, I don't do side panniers as I tend to let my bike nap often and would prefer to not crush my staples.

E: SOCKS. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH loving SOCKS.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

cursedshitbox posted:

E: SOCKS. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH loving SOCKS.

Sock chat: I love me some Smartwool socks but when it gets really cold you can't beat a heavy wool sock with sock liners

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The Blackbird's a great hammock, the shelf is a lot more handy than you'd think and the footbox keeps the banana position to a minimum. If it gets under 65-70 at night you're going to want at least some insulation, some closed cell foam does pretty well, but it's a pain to pack on a bike.

I ended up getting an Arrowhead New River underquilt and it packs small enough and once set up on the hammock, there's less fiddling around with it.

These alcohol stoves are the best drat things, light, small, dead simple and almost indestructible.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Sm...s=alcohol+stove

You're not going to make high cuisine on it, but it's my go to for heating up dehydrated food, morning oatmeal and coffee.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Razzled posted:

So on Hennessy Hammocks...
Dang, didn't realize the old thread is gone :(

You should check out hammockforums.net--they've got oodles of good advice.

My two cents is the hammock part is literally the least important piece of the whole setup. A good underquilt/tarp/suspension is where your money should go.

This is the best hammock I've ever slept in

And simple instructions to whip one up

For reference, here's my backpacking setup from the other weekend down in Red River Gorge (got down to 15° that night)

Seconding retarded pimp on alcohol stoves--that design in particular is what I use for backpacking, and is indestructible. Boil some water, toss in some instant potatoes, a pouch of chicken, canned corn, & carrots and you've got thanksgiving casserole. Heat up some Costco quinoa & rice with some pouch/canned chicken, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, and corn is awesome too. Tasty Bites Madras Lentils with corn, canned chicken (or pork), served over Hawaiin Rolls always hits the spot as well. Grilled spam sammiches, herb crusted fish in a pouch over instant Alfredo noodles... It's all good!

TL;DR freeze dried food sucks--be creative!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 9, 2015

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I definitely recommend looking into woopie slings if you're gonna go hammock camping, and especially if you're gonna grab an Hennessy.

Given the average AI & CA technical competency level, you can make your own slings for ~$20 and have a tool for doing line splicing when you're done with them, the adjustment mechanism is significantly more straight forward than trying to get lashings set just right to balance out your hammock.

On the subject of making your own poo poo, you can order that amazon stove, or you can make a slightly nicer one yourself with the Penny Stove 2 instructions

The nicest part about the penny is that the primer pan is built into the design so that once the main chamber pressurizes to enable alcohol jets, it also recovers all fuel from the primer pan. During the burn it also has a built in pressure regulation mechanism to prevent thermal runaway.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hi there I have a motorcycle and also like camping

Here is my set up the first time I went bike camping to the Red River Gorge (Sup OSU_Matthew)

I've done some camping since then and a few trips and have figured my poo poo out a bit better

(notice I learned to bag my pillow)

My last trip

Something I learned is to get secondary support for your soft bags. Mine are pretty wasted now, seams are pulling out left and right. I think I overloaded them, whoops

Bike camping is p. sweet tho

Here was my checklist of stuff for my last trip if it helps anyone:

Easily Available

cable ties
tire patch
tire pump

tool kit
kickstand puck

gloves
buff
rain jacket
liners
gopro
garbage bags

book/maps
phone
charger

Tucked Away

tent
sleeping bag
sleeping pad
pillow
chain lube
headlamp
drugs, claritin, benedryl, advil
camelback
toothbrush deodorant
towels
bug repellent
chair
bandages
wet ones
mace
booze

long underwear – rafting polyester
boxers
socks
tshirts
swim trunks
pants
shoes

I never used a hammock but seeing as I have a backpacking trip coming up here it might be a good idea to try one, I likes having the shelter of the tent and space to stash all the poo poo off my bike. It's a lot of poo poo. But I'm liking reading about other people's experiences with the hammocks.

OSU_Matthew hit me up if you ever wanna check out the gorge or w/e, I ride down there for day trips n poo poo.

OKAY HAVE CAMPING FUN NOW GOODBYE

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

nsaP posted:

OKAY HAVE CAMPING FUN NOW GOODBYE

YOU'RE NOT MY MOTHER.

I like the make your own hammock idea, but in the summer without a net you will get eaten alive by mosquitoes. For a stove, I use the classic dual fuel Coleman single burner. It's a little heavier but I like the stability and heat adjustability, plus you can siphon gas if needed. However, my cook kit is getting old and dented and needs replacement. Anything decent on Amazon?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Gorson posted:

YOU'RE NOT MY MOTHER.

I like the make your own hammock idea, but in the summer without a net you will get eaten alive by mosquitoes. For a stove, I use the classic dual fuel Coleman single burner. It's a little heavier but I like the stability and heat adjustability, plus you can siphon gas if needed. However, my cook kit is getting old and dented and needs replacement. Anything decent on Amazon?

I got this a couple years ago: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001A...-tfL&ref=plSrch

Solo size has served me well, plenty for one person and doable with two with a little coordination. The nonstick has scratched in a couple places but it's held up well overall, and the bottom flanges or whatever do boil water quick as. A gas canister fits perfectly inside along with a sponge and soap and some other stuff.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
It's really warm here, I doubt any given night would go under 60 F in the summer. So I'm thinking this should be fine as a top quilt/blanket: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Nylon-Warm-Poncho-Liner/dp/B004WX99A8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1428637277&sr=8-5&keywords=poncho+liner

Or something similar (and inexpensive).

I kinda poked around those hammock forums and they're pushing me closer to the hennessy hammock. I just want ease of purchase/setup and the HHs seem to have all the features I need (suspension, hammock, mosquito net, rain fly) in one place. They're a bit expensive but it seems that everyone agrees so far that they're worth it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Razzled posted:

It's really warm here, I doubt any given night would go under 60 F in the summer. So I'm thinking this should be fine as a top quilt/blanket: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Nylon-Warm-Poncho-Liner/dp/B004WX99A8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1428637277&sr=8-5&keywords=poncho+liner

[quote="Razzled" post="443875706"]

You'll freeze you're bum off... just take your regular sleeping bag, unzip it, and voila! Instant top quilt! I'm a cold sleeper, so I had a cold miserable night my first time hammock camping at 90°, without some sort of insulation underneath. Just using a regular sleeping pad for your bottom insulation, and a sleeping bag on top will work great until you get spendier stuff.

Gorson posted:

For a stove, I use the classic dual fuel Coleman single burner. It's a little heavier but I like the stability and heat adjustability, plus you can siphon gas if needed. However, my cook kit is getting old and dented and needs replacement. Anything decent on Amazon?

White gas stoves are definitely nice for lots of cooking or big groups, but that's a huge space premium for a bike. Then again I've got a different mindset because I carry my gear backpacking

I really like my Snowpeak (Japanese) 1.5L Titanium Pot, but if I were to do it over again I'd get the Toaks Titanium Pot (Chinese). Super strong and weighs nothing, but big enough to cook for 2-3, but not too excessive to carry for just myself. I love it because I can pack my windscreen, fork, pot grabber, titanium mug, alcohol stove, 2-3 8 ounce fuel bottles, and lighter all inside so it packs up small and I'm not digging around for poo poo. I can also boil an entire nalgene bottle in there, which is nice for hot chocolate and stuff.

If you're looking to cook burgers or something beyond a single slice of spam, my buddy picked up a MSR Flex Skillet and it is awesome

nsaP posted:

OSU_Matthew hit me up if you ever wanna check out the gorge or w/e, I ride down there for day trips n poo poo.

For sure--Red River is awesome! Ever done Grays Arch to 221/rough trail to the cliff that juts way out into the gorge? That's a phenomenal spot to camp---it's so dark out there you can see the international space station circling the earth every fifteen minutes.

Anyone know of good routes or great places to motocamp in West Virginia? Just went down to New River Gorge last week and I'm itching for more.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 10, 2015

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Anyone know of good routes or great places to motocamp in West Virginia? Just went down to New River Gorge last week and I'm itching for more.

Seconding this request. I'm headed through in a few weeks on my way to Louisville, I'd love to know where to ride and where to camp.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

international space station circling the earth every fifteen minutes.

About 90 minutes.

edit
Content
It doesn't always cost a bunch for camping equipment, I've been using this to cook for years, it's light and cheap and fits everything but the food and fuel when packed.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 10, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

OSU_Matthew posted:

For sure--Red River is awesome! Ever done Grays Arch to 221/rough trail to the cliff that juts way out into the gorge? That's a phenomenal spot to camp---it's so dark out there you can see the international space station circling the earth every fifteen minutes.

New and the Gauley is the spot on WV, I've never really been anywhere else.

I've been down to Grays once a long time ago on a day hike. We do a lot of unofficial trail hikes and then of course all the big ones as well. There are great riding roads down there as well. I mostly car camp but I need to get into backpacking, I got a pack last year and haven't used it and I'm gonna have a bachelor hiking weekend thing coming up here at the end of may.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ You should absolutely give it a shot, it's such a great way to experience the most incredible places.

Retarded Pimp posted:

About 90 minutes.

edit
Content
It doesn't always cost a bunch for camping equipment, I've been using this to cook for years, it's light and cheap and fits everything but the food and fuel when packed.
Derp, I'm dumb. It was too cloudy and cold last time I was there to stargaze, and my memory apparently ain't so great :(

I've always wanted to try one of those grease pots, I've heard they make awesome cookware, especially when you add a bail handle... I'm gonna hunt one down for a spare pot--thanks!

So, I've only ever done destination trips--eg ride out to a place and camp at a designated park with sites. Where do you guys(/girls) camp on multi day trips? Do you plan ahead for something like a KOA, or do you ask the locals when you're ready to stop for the day? Anyone ever just rode off the road a bit and followed some fence lines or utility poles to stealth camp?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Never done proper stealth camping (tried once and chickened out) but with a AAA map you can find state/national parks/forests almost everywhere you go. I've camped illegally at canoe put-ins and trail heads. A few times just stopped at bars and asked if I could put a tent up out back, that flies about half the time. But green on the map is pretty reliable and usually doesn't cost more than a few bucks.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Allstays works pretty good for finding camping spots on the go.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.allstays.app.camptent&hl=en

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
spent the night at Knoxville recreation area.

There was two pavilions, but the ranger said the other one had been "blown up".

These are the cats rear end for cooking one pot meals.
the wave thing is a temperature gauge to indicate your water is boiling.

Beers. it is not camping without loving beers.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Fits everything for a weekend for two minus water and beer, but that's what town runs are for. Ordered some rok straps the day we left so next time should be able to strap stuff like the tarp, tent, and maybe bags/chairs outside the bags instead of taking up a lot of space inside.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Gillingham posted:

Fits everything for a weekend for two minus water and beer, but that's what town runs are for. Ordered some rok straps the day we left so next time should be able to strap stuff like the tarp, tent, and maybe bags/chairs outside the bags instead of taking up a lot of space inside.

Really want panniers on my bike :(

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Gillingham posted:

Holy poo poo a goon with Mosko bags. What do you think of them so far?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

kuffs posted:

Holy poo poo a goon with Mosko bags. What do you think of them so far?
Love them, all the quality seems great so far. I've been using one daily as a commuting bag for several months now, and double up for day trips, shopping etc. This was the first camping trip and they worked out great, huge amount of space and I like the adaptability. I used the two side molle panels for water storage, there's also another small panel on the bottom of each bag for more expand-ability.

I got them for an absolute steal of $424.99 in the pre-order phase, but even at the current 624.99 price I'm sure that's still more than competitive, and it's still just a few dudes running the show out of rented warehouse space.

Oddly enough heading back from this weekend I saw two dudes in Ojai with the full pannier+duffle bag and waved with our matching luggage, they ignored me :( First time seeing someone else with the bags in the wild.
Honestly the coolest part of the bags is reading the advrider thread and the owners own ride reports seeing how all this stuff was/is being developed. Owners first ride report complete with getting stranded with a broken leg in south america is recommended reading

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 20, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gillingham posted:

30 pack in each side, clean underwear up top?

Gillingham posted:

Honestly the coolest part of the bags is reading the advrider thread and the owners own ride reports seeing how all this stuff was/is being developed. Owners first ride report complete with getting stranded with a broken leg in south america is recommended reading

Link please?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871303

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927215

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yeah, the price point and features are amazing. I've been following the advrider thread for a long time now and I just love reading about the design decisions. I've been making do with a nice set of Kriega bags for now, but I'll probably be buying luggage racks and Mosko bags before long.

I'm actually holding off on buying a set of proper off-road gear until their apparel line gets finished.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Gillingham posted:

Love them, all the quality seems great so far. I've been using one daily as a commuting bag for several months now, and double up for day trips, shopping etc. This was the first camping trip and they worked out great, huge amount of space and I like the adaptability. I used the two side molle panels for water storage, there's also another small panel on the bottom of each bag for more expand-ability.
Damnit, I just pre-ordered the 80L reckless bag system because of you.

I've got a 20L kreiga tailbag, hopefully I can get the two bags to mate successfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Lexorin posted:

Damnit, I just pre-ordered the 80L reckless bag system because of you.

I've got a 20L kreiga tailbag, hopefully I can get the two bags to mate successfully.

And then we'll have beautiful luggage babies! :swoon:

• Locked thread